ESA to be increased and backdated to April to 6 maybe — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA to be increased and backdated to April to 6 maybe

Options
Brumboy68
Brumboy68 Community member Posts: 77 Courageous
SSAC which is a working committee for the dwp has written a strongly worded letter to the dwp minister saying quite strongthy that it was unfair that nearly every other benefit was increased by the chancellor for covid and if feels that ESA and JSA should have been to. It suggests or tells the government this was unfair and that it should correct this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-letter-to-secretary-of-state-from-ssac/covid-19-ssac-letter-to-the-secretary-of-state

Comments

• alieshia
    alieshia Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Options
    @Brumboy68 This is interesting! Something I shall be following closely thanks for the link. I do wonder if they just assumed that people on ESA and JSA were already out of work so they must be coping with what they receive. I hope it is followed through because we have been hit too. Popular food items have been in such shortage I have had to buy premium brands on things like pasta and milk where I'd normally buy basics. Its been an expensive time.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Brumboy68 Hi hope your well, oh hopefully we will get what others are already receiving thanks for showing us this?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hI @Brumboy68 Thank you for sharing this with us I am sure it will be of interest to our members
  • Brumboy68
    Brumboy68 Community member Posts: 77 Courageous
    Options
    It's been kept quiet by the government but as this is a steering committee set up by them I don't think they have any choice but to follow their recommendations. I think the government will have to find time to do it, let's face it they found time and effort to sort out every other bloody benefit due to covid bar ESA and JSA.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The excuse was that it was too complicated to add others to the extra benefit, and that adding it to UC was easier. I'm afraid I won't be holding my breath as they will now be looking at ways not to spend money not ways to give it away. But we will wait and see.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.