Questions regarding PIP application — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Questions regarding PIP application

pipdepression
pipdepression Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited June 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello. I'm joining this forum to ask for some help regarding pip application. I have some questions if anyone is able to help me. Thanks. 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pipdepression

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today?

I’m one off a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes I would be very very happy in helping you with your “pip application” 

Please please let me know how you feel???

@steve51
  • pipdepression
    Hi @steve51

So I'm going to be applying for pip again as ive been suffering with bad mental helath for 10 years. 1 problem I'm having is around 3 years ago I applied and went for a face to face assessment and I never heard anything back from anybody. No letter or phone call or email. I really struggle with speaking so I never made a phone call to check up on it. I'm just wondering what are the chances of this happening again with second application. I've tried going on the dole but because of my severe deoression I'm unable to meet their appointments and requirements so I get sanctioned the full amount leaving me with zero. I've been to hospital many times I've been arrested while having a manic episode etc. But I'm not receiving any help from anybody. Even the mental health crisis team have just left me to get on with it. they don't call or offer me any counselling. This all makes my depression worse as everytime I reach out for help I get thrown aside like I'm a piece of garbage. It's like my name is blacklisted or something. 
  • steve51
    Hi @pipdepression

Yes yes you can reply for your pip again definitely.

I am very very sorry to hear that you never received anything back about your 1st application.

We have got a lot of info/support in regards to the pip process.

I am also sorry to hear that you don’t have any help from the Benefit System.

We have got a Benefit Calculator on our site that will give you an idea of what Benefits are available for you.

I can help you through the process if that would help as pip is a completely different benefit.

“Don’t Worry Though”

@steve51

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pipdepression - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. I'm sorry to read about your poor experience with PIP. I must admit I've never heard of anyone applying for PIP & not getting a decision letter, so I doubt this would happen again. It's all very difficult for you, as currently if you re-apply for PIP, you may have an assessment by phone. Some assessments however are based on the info received instead.
    There are some charities that may be able to help, as some offer support to people applying for benefits. There's Mind, & the Richmond Fellowship (tho you'd have to check if this is available in your locality). See: https://www.mind.org.uk/
    I hope some of this helps, if not, please let us know. Everyone here will do their best to support you, so don't hesitate to ask questions, & let us all know how you're getting on, thank you.

• pipdepression
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @pipdepression - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. I'm sorry to read about your poor experience with PIP. I must admit I've never heard of anyone applying for PIP & not getting a decision letter, so I doubt this would happen again. It's all very difficult for you, as currently if you re-apply for PIP, you may have an assessment by phone. Some assessments however are based on the info received instead.
    There are some charities that may be able to help, as some offer support to people applying for benefits. There's Mind, & the Richmond Fellowship (tho you'd have to check if this is available in your locality). See: https://www.mind.org.uk/
    I hope some of this helps, if not, please let us know. Everyone here will do their best to support you, so don't hesitate to ask questions, & let us all know how you're getting on, thank you.

My mum said it's because I have a Muslim name and she thinks someone with prejudice against muslims applying for benefits in Britain probably threw my whole form/reuslts away. She came with me for the assessment also and found the assessor to be very condescending and disinterested with anything we were saying. 

Do you know if I should get some forms from hospital and mental health crisis team to send off with my forms? My depression makes me have a real low monotonous voice which some people think I'm lying or not engaging with them so it's hard to get my point across in words. 

Thanks. 
  • chiarieds
    Hi @pipdepression - Sadly quite a lot of people have problems with PIP. I'm a physiotherapist, & with my first PIP assessment met a nurse who obviously didn't like physios....she didn't even complete the assessment, & I had to have a 2nd one 2 weeks later with another nurse who was most empathetic with the problems I have. I still didn't receive the award I thought correct, & therefore applied for a Mandatory Reconsideration, which was successful. I had asked for a copy of my first assessment, but the DWP said it didn't exist!
    Yes, definitely get any medical records, & those from your mental health crisis team that can identify the problems you have to send off. Please also say in your PIP claim form about how difficult it can be to engage with people when you talk. I do understand this a little as my son speaks the same way due to him being said to be 'next door to Aspergers' when he was evaluated by a neuropsychologist.
    Thank you for replying, & be assured we will all support you with this PIP claim. :)
  • steve51
    Hi @pipdepression

I have just remembered that we need to have knowledge/understanding about the “Descriptions”

These are used to “cross reference” your answers within your claim pack.

Have you heard about these as they are used to mark all of the answers that you have sent.

@steve51
  • pipdepression
    @steve51 No I have not heard about any of that. 
  • steve51
    Hi @pipdepression

Here’s some info to start with as there’s some more that we can offer you.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment-pip/

Please have a good look around if there’s anything that I can help you further please please let me know.

@steve51

• chiarieds
    Hi @pipdepression - I think Steve meant the activities or 'descriptors.' If you click on the last link I sent, all this is mentioned under section 5. This link has the best info I've come across supporting people with mental health problems claim PIP. Once you've looked through it, remember to ask any questions you wish, as there's usually someone here who will be able to help.  For each applicable descriptor, try & give a couple of examples of the difficulties you faced attempting, or doing an activity, & any resulting consequences.  :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pipdepression, just wanted to check in to see how you are doing. :)
    Scope

• pipdepression
    Hello. Someone gave me an address I have to write to about getting all my medical and mental health records. I have written them a letter and am waiting to hear back. I was going to wait for that until I send off my pip forms. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 15 Listener
    I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a difficult time. I also have manic episodes due to my personality disorder and I can empathize how hard it really is. Also being from an ethnic minority I know a lot of the pre-conceptions people can unfortunately have and I'm really sorry if this has been the case for you.

In terms of being on the dole as you say which benefit were you specifically on or were applying for? Old style JSA was slightly different but now it is mostly Universal Credit for employment benefits. Last year when I first signed on to Universal Credit I had to provide a sick note to the job centre where I was signed off from any work activities. When presenting this and declaring you aren't fit for work they should send out a questionnaire which you have to fill out explaining your disability. After this is done within a couple of months you should get a date for a work capability assessment. In my experience these come through significantly quicker than PIP ones. After the assessment you are either declared fit to work and stay on standard basic allowance, go in to the LCW group (£128.25 added to your basic allowance), or LCWRA (£341.92 added to your basic allowance).

In terms of supporting your mental health, is there any chance you can go back to your GP and ask for support and say you haven't been getting it. If you believe your GP/Surgery isn't supporting you do let me know.

I hope this has helped somewhat?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello. Someone gave me an address I have to write to about getting all my medical and mental health records. I have written them a letter and am waiting to hear back. I was going to wait for that until I send off my pip forms. 
    @pipdepression, is there anyone you can call to get the evidence? I know this isn't always the easiest. 
    Scope

• maxsteel
    maxsteel Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Regardless of what is said it is impossible  for an assessor to do their job without a face to face interview regards mental health so in reallity other than a cast iron recommendation from a doctor its hit and miss.Go on to google and find out how to answer the questions the correct way.They want to tick the boxes quickly so keep to the point as people think rambling helps but it just annoys the assessor and get a copy of the assessment. Read it and appeal on were you think they are wrong.Get ready for when they call and record it they will.Your name does not count.Hope you get it
  • chiarieds
    edited June 2020
    @maxsteel - I would like to politely disagree with part of what you have written here. The main point of a PIP assessment, either face to face, or by phone, is to go through the activities of daily living, &/mobility to see what points, if any, may be scored against the activities, or descriptors. It's all about, as the initial claim form booklet says, 'How your disability affects you.'
    Getting medical evidence may be helpful, but over half of PIP outcomes are positive without any.
    There's no 'correct' way to answer in any PIP assessment, other than to be truthful, giving a couple of real life examples as to the difficulty a person has doing/trying to do an activity, & any subsequent consequences. They should say why they had problems, when, how often, etc, & how did it leave them feeling, if that's relevant.
    I have given @pipdepression a link which is the best I've come across in helping someone with mental health problems filling out their PIP form ( https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/ )
    I hope he takes his time in answering questions in his phone assessment, & asks the assessor to repeat any questions if needed. There is no need for him to record an assessment.
    Yes, ask for a copy of the assessor's report about a week later. Hopefully @pipdepression will get his PIP award, so no need for a Mandatory Reconsideration, or appeal.
    I join you in hoping he will indeed be successful. For now, he's just looking at doing his initial claim form, so perhaps one step at a time.

• chiarieds
    @pipdepression - Just to add you can ring the DWP on 0800 121 4433 & ask for longer to send them your claim form if needed. They will give you another 2 weeks. :)
  • pipdepression
    I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a difficult time. I also have manic episodes due to my personality disorder and I can empathize how hard it really is. Also being from an ethnic minority I know a lot of the pre-conceptions people can unfortunately have and I'm really sorry if this has been the case for you.

In terms of being on the dole as you say which benefit were you specifically on or were applying for? Old style JSA was slightly different but now it is mostly Universal Credit for employment benefits. Last year when I first signed on to Universal Credit I had to provide a sick note to the job centre where I was signed off from any work activities. When presenting this and declaring you aren't fit for work they should send out a questionnaire which you have to fill out explaining your disability. After this is done within a couple of months you should get a date for a work capability assessment. In my experience these come through significantly quicker than PIP ones. After the assessment you are either declared fit to work and stay on standard basic allowance, go in to the LCW group (£128.25 added to your basic allowance), or LCWRA (£341.92 added to your basic allowance).

In terms of supporting your mental health, is there any chance you can go back to your GP and ask for support and say you haven't been getting it. If you believe your GP/Surgery isn't supporting you do let me know.

I hope this has helped somewhat?
    Hello thanks it was universal credit that I was on. They never told me about capability for work or anything like that. I found going into the office would make my mental health so much worse because if the way I was being spoken to like dirt by the person interviewing me. Not just one person but a few people that I saw were openly rude and condescending and dismissed any mental health I had basically saying I was just lazy. 

The gp offered me an online counselling text service. But I don't think that would be any helpful. It's so impersonal I need real mental health help. Like I need to be diagnosed because the way i am is not normal I can't function at all in society. It's always call 111 or text this number and then I'm left on my own. I'm really.jaded with the whole system because this has been going on for 10 years now and they won't even give me a diagnosis or any proper help. I don't what more needs to happen before someone does something like I said I've been in hospital because I was so suicidal on multiple occasions and they keep me in for a few hours leave me in a room and then discharge me. And nothing is done after that. 

• pipdepression
    chiarieds said:
    @pipdepression - Just to add you can ring the DWP on 0800 121 4433 & ask for longer to send them your claim form if needed. They will give you another 2 weeks. :)
    On thanks do I have to send it within a certain time then? I've been sat on the forms for a while even before I asked for help on this forum. 
  • chiarieds
    Hi @pipdepression - Normally you have 1 month from the date on the letter you would have received with your claim form. I was thinking that, as you were waiting for some medical evidence, you could ask for an extension, which would be for a further 2 weeks.
    Just remembered when I saw your last query, that, due to Covid-19, you now have 90 days from the day you rang to start your claim. Your claim form needs to get back to the DWP within that timeframe. I don't know if you received a letter mentioning you now have this 90 days, as I don't know if any were routinely sent out.
    If you don't return in 90 days, you would need to ring up & claim again. :(

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.