Anxiety about going out on my scooter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anxiety about going out on my scooter

Wini1960
Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
Hi I have an electric scooter and love to go out with my husband to the park or just around my estate. However, I feel terrible anxiety of going out by myself. Also taking into account that I have mild/moderate agoraphobia. Is there someone who can give me some advice how I can overcome this. I've had talk therapy as I also suffer from depression at times. Thank you 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I am sorry to hear about your anxiety, maybe try and go out with your husband but let him get further and further away from you over time but you will know he is near if needed. Over time increase the distance between you until you feel a bit more confidant.

Or start with small distances and take a mobile phone with you and you could talk to someone while you are out, or maybe put some earphones on and listen to some music. Be careful though if wearing headphones near traffic or roads 
  • Wini1960
    Hi Janer1967 thank you so much for your advice I will try doing that. I think the lockdown has contributed a lot to how I'm feeling at the moment. Putting on headphones is a good idea. Where I live I dont actually have to go on main road. So I will try. Thank you. 
  • Wini1960
    Hi Janer1967 my name is Maxine Robb if your on Facebook add me as a friend then I can let you know the business that I'm involved in. Have a blessed weekend.
  • phillycollings29
    phillycollings29 Community member Posts: 57 Courageous
    Hi @Wini1960
    I have just read your post and was wondering how you are getting on.   :)
  • Wini1960
    Hi Phillycollings29 I have still not plucked up the courage to go out on my own. I have talked about it with my therapist. I think I should stop thinking about it and just do it.
  • phillycollings29
    Hi @Wini1960
    Here's a thought on what I might try.  I may go and give my scooter a 'bath' and have some fun cleaning it (even if it's not dirty lol).  I would attempt to do this outside.  Has she got a name?

• Wini1960
    phillycollings29 her name is Grace. I would love to do but I cannot stand up for long the pain is excruciating. I have physio exercises and hopefully see my physiotherapist soon. I do think it is a good idea?
  • phillycollings29
    Oh I'm so sorry to hear that @Wini1960.  One bit at a time eh.  You are talking to your therapist and hopefully seeing your physio soon so going in the right direction.  Personally I think you are doing great and deserve a huge social distancing hug from me.  Vicky my moped (now belongs to my friend Simon) says hello to Grace.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wini1960, just wanted to check in. :)
    Scope

• Wini1960
    Chloe_Scope Hi I was actually going to go out but since yesterday my back has been hurting me so bad. Maybe later when the pain is not so bad.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope the pain eases soon @Wini1960! :)
    Scope

• Wini1960
    Hi Chloe_Scope thank you so much. I take amitriptyline at night and I sleep peacefully but some days my back spasms can be so severe in the day time. Hopefully together with my physiotherapist I can manage my pain better.
  • Saffy
    Saffy Community member Posts: 88 Courageous
    I'm in a similar position as I use my scooter to go shopping, but since lockdown I am now really scared about going out and worry whether others will keep their distance.
    I've got used to shopping deliveries and felt safe at home but now I could go out if I want I've got so many worries and unanswered questions.
    Not much use to you @Wini1960 but just wanted to join in.
  • phillycollings29
    Hello @Saffy
    Would you consider sharing your worries and unanswered questions if you feel you can?   It seems to me that there are many folk in this community with ideas and suggestions.   Am up for a natter if you would like  :)
  • Wini1960
    Hi @Saffy I have a problem going out on my scooter. The sun is shining and it's just right but I can only go out when my husband is around it sucks. I plucked up the courage today and then my back began to pain me so much I had to email my physiotherapist for some advice. It's a tough day but hey there's always tomorrow. Thanks for your message.
  • Saffy
    @phillycollings29 Hi, just before lockdown I was in Tesco on my scooter looking at what little liquid soap was left. I bent to have a look at the bottom shelf and suddenly felt hemmed in and couldn't breathe. When I looked up about 20 soap hunting people had surrounded me, obviously trying to see if I had found any. I was so frightened. I couldn't move my scooter to get out of the way and my voice just froze.
    When I got home I was shaking and haven't been out since.
    Because so many other people are now used to the new way of shopping in store and have possibly become a bit complacent, I'm worried they'll presume I'm as confident as they now are and not realise I'm going to be a nervous newbie.
    I don't know the shopping rules. Can we touch things if we aren't buying them. Does social distancing still mean anything or is it pull the ladder up Jack, you're on your own?
    Are the toilet facilities open? 
    The path to Tesco is tree lined and is always getting covered in thorny bits which have blown down in the breeze. Normally they are fairly regularly swept by council cleaners, but that might not have happened and I am worried that I will pick up yet another expensive puncture which because of covid I might not be able to get a repair man out.
    I also worry about how I would manage if I had to go anywhere else, such as for a blood test, or optician. Normally I get a taxi but I'm really reluctant to use one now.
    Bet you wish you hadn't asked now:)

• Saffy
    @Wini1960 That's such bad luck your back let you down after you'd finally plucked up the courage to go out. Hoping you have a much better day tomorrow and can make plans again with your husband.
  • Wini1960
    Saffy. Thanks I'm sure I will.
  • Wini1960
    Saffy Hi my husband does all the shopping. I've not been to a shop in years so cannot give you any advice. I cant imagine how you felt. If that was me I doubt I could come out of the house after experiencing so many people getting into.your space. I have talk therapy so that helps a lot.
  • Saffy
    Wini1960 said:
    Saffy  I have talk therapy so that helps a lot.
    I wish I had someone to talk to. Despite my son living with me I am very lonely. It's not just talking about my problems. I've lived with disability for so many years I've learnt how to manage it. It's the day to day stuff and sharing it with someone who's interested and not dismissive. 
    Since lockdown I've realised how insular my life is. Being forced to stay at home has actually made little difference to me as I never went out much anyway apart from shopping. Hey ho!

Brightness