What is your favourite inspirational quote and why? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is your favourite inspirational quote and why?

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
Hi everyone, I hope everyone is safe and well and keeping as positive as possible in the current circumstances that are we are all in at the moment with the (convid 19) please can you post your favourite inspirational quote below ?❤️

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2020
    ‘ My favourite quote is
    failure is an event not a person’ (I think it’s by ziggler?)
    As far as I’m concerned no one is a failure but we can sometimes fail and by failing we often learn valuable lessons which help us to succeed next time when we try again. Sometimes we even learn that something isn’t for us or doesn’t suit us and so we don’t try it again, that’s okay too. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    ‘For fast acting relief...try slowing down’
    lily tomlin. 

Sometimes I rush around get nowhere fast and catastrophising, I should bear this quote in mind more often!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tammyjane33
    @leeCal thank you for sharing I've not heard that quote before. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I love the words of Maya Angelou! It's always so delicate and well put.

"You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have."

"
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away."

"
    Courage – you develop courage by doing small things like just as if you wouldn’t want to pick up a 100-pound weight without preparing yourself."
    Scope

• Acko
    Acko Community member Posts: 2 Listener
     “There is no greater sorrow than to recall happy times when miserable”
           Dante’s Alighieri.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Acko! Thanks for sharing that quote with us. :)
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    I wouldn't necessarily say I have a favourite quote, just a lot of sayings and mottos that I admire.

Recently I've enjoyed the motto of the explorer Sir Francis Drake, which was "Sic parvis magner" - greatness from small beginnings.I like it because it's Latin and very few people will know what it means unless they go out of their way to learn and translate it. Plus it's motivational and fun to say :) 
  • CJ61
    CJ61 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Sun Tzu the Japanese philosopher said
    "If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by."

Having been abused and mistreated many times throughout my life I take comfort that eventually what goes around comes around and people get their comeuppance. 

And one of my favourite Latin phrases
    In Vino Veritas

In wine there is truth
  • sakinah
    sakinah Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    THIS <3 IS A GREAT QUOTE OF MINE!! GIVES ME STRENGTH AND CAN SO RELATE TO IT!!

REDSAPPHIRE (SAKINAH) x  <3 
  • kaiasparrow
    kaiasparrow Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
    It's a song lyric but this line from Marina and the Diamonds' "Forget" - 

"All the time I've wasted chasing rabbits down the hole, when I was born to be the tortoise and I was born to walk alone"

I've always felt a lot of pressure to live my life at the same fast pace as everyone else. I get so overwhelmed and my history of mental illness stemmed from a lot of pressure to be successful and live a certain way from a young age. So when I heard this song I loved these few lines as it made me realise it is ok to take life at your own pace and we don't all have to live the same lives. It is ok that I have made mistakes and I might be "behind" some of my peers now but that's ok - I wouldn't be who I am if I hadn't.
  • calicia
    calicia Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    There were 2 roads.
    And i took the one less travelled by.
    And that has made all the difference
    Robert frost (american poet)
  • calicia
    calicia Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Dont look backwards
    You dont live there anymore
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde.

<3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    my favourite has seen me through lots of situations over the last 35 years
    "If you fail to plan, you must plan to fail"
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    ‘When there’s always biscuits in the tin where’s the fun in biscuits?!’
    from men behaving badly.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• colet
    colet CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 101 Pioneering
    See the ability in disability 
    I have made a t shirt with it on 
  • Tammyjane33
    @colet I love this one! Thank you for sharing. Hope your well :) 
  • Tammyjane33
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde.

<3
    Love this one, thank you for sharing. :) 
  • Tammyjane33
    leeCal said:
    ‘When there’s always biscuits in the tin where’s the fun in biscuits?!’
    from men behaving badly.
    @leeCal thankyou for sharing, I haven't come across this quote before but it's great. :) 
  • Tammyjane33
    It's a song lyric but this line from Marina and the Diamonds' "Forget" - 

"All the time I've wasted chasing rabbits down the hole, when I was born to be the tortoise and I was born to walk alone"

I've always felt a lot of pressure to live my life at the same fast pace as everyone else. I get so overwhelmed and my history of mental illness stemmed from a lot of pressure to be successful and live a certain way from a young age. So when I heard this song I loved these few lines as it made me realise it is ok to take life at your own pace and we don't all have to live the same lives. It is ok that I have made mistakes and I might be "behind" some of my peers now but that's ok - I wouldn't be who I am if I hadn't.
    @kaiasparrow, thank you for sharing this, I haven't come across this song or lyrics before so I will take a look on Google :) 

Brightness