Advice, guidance for my daughter transitioning to adult life — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice, guidance for my daughter transitioning to adult life

vicki1977
vicki1977 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I have join this group to get as much support as I can for my disabled daughter, she is 20 in August and learning problems, epilepsy, chronic pain syndrome,  depressed because she has no social life. She wants to start some kind of work part time but she has limited mobility due to pain. She did want to stay on at college because she does have a education and care plan and allowed free education until 25 but I am very I'll and disabled and unable to support her financially so she has had to claim universal credit and give up college because her child tax stops and she would have no income. I need advide, guidance to get the best start for my daughter to transition into adult life. She is very scaired and frightened. 
Any advice will be amazing and thank you 

Comments

• serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    hi Vicki
    thank you for welcoming me,
    I’m finding my way around here, slowly :)
    im sorry to hear about your daughter and the problems you both currently face. 
    I don’t have any direct advice except to say , if you’ve not spoken to Citizens advice, maybe that’s a route you could also try. At least they could Perhaps ensure you and your daughter are receiving all the benefits you should  ...and I hope someone here at scope may come along and offer more direct help to you ..there is a Welfare helpline to call at scope I see, maybe that would be something to try too. 
    I wish you both well and apologise that I can’t offer more advice.

:)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @vicki1977

Welcome it’s great to meet you today ?

I am very very sorry to hear about your current problems.

We have got some info below for you.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/families-with-disabled-children/

Please please come back to me if you require any further help/support!!!!!!

@steve51

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @vicki1977 - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. As well as the advice given above, may I suggest that Scope may also be able to help your daughter as far as work goes. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/
    It must be a difficult time for both of you, but I do hope that Scope can help. This is a friendly & supportive online community too, so please use this to chat here any time as well as ask any questions. :)

• serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    hi @steve51 thank you for taking time to reply , that helps me ? 
    And @chiarieds thanks so much for the link, I will take a look at that it looks like it covers everything.
    thanks so  much guys , really appreciate the replies ! Luckily I’m not looking to go into hospital at all..but I was curious and it’s good to know ...it helps my peace of mind  !
     :)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @serenity2

That’s my Pleasure.

Please please come back to me if you need any further help/support?

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome I am sorry to hear about your daughter, has she been involved with childrens services at all, if so they should help transition into the adult world and transfer her case to adult social services.

She should also get some advice and support looking for work through her work coach when she applies for benefits.

If she is not fit for work she should indicate this on her benefits application and send in fit notes this will prompt a work capability assessment
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @vicki1977, how are things at the moment? Please do let us know if we can do anything else to help. :)
    Scope

• vicki1977
    vicki1977 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you all for your amazing advice, I will be looking at all the links tomorrow. Well because of the covid 19 she is too scared to go out the house and has panick attacks. I will be ringing adult social services tomorrow to see what help they can offer with her transition into adult hood and work. Think this is going to be a very slow progression for her but we will get there in the end x hope you are all keeping safe and wellx
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Let us know how you get on @vicki1977. Fingers crossed you both start to make some headway soon. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • matthew2909
    matthew2909 Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    vicki1977 said:
    I have join this group to get as much support as I can for my disabled daughter, she is 20 in August and learning problems, epilepsy, chronic pain syndrome,  depressed because she has no social life. She wants to start some kind of work part time but she has limited mobility due to pain. She did want to stay on at college because she does have a education and care plan and allowed free education until 25 but I am very I'll and disabled and unable to support her financially so she has had to claim universal credit and give up college because her child tax stops and she would have no income. I need advide, guidance to get the best start for my daughter to transition into adult life. She is very scaired and frightened. 
    Any advice will be amazing and thank you

Hey how are you I'm Matthew 

Brightness