What am I entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What am I entitled to?

KITKAT64
KITKAT64 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi, I have been a full time carer for my disabled adult son ( aged 23) for all his life. Unfortunately due to a separation, I have been a single parent/ carer for past 5 years. I claim carers allowance £67.25 weekly, which is topped up with income support of £89.20 every 2 weeks. So my total amount of money coming in each week is around £111.00
I recently asked to be changed over onto U/C. I have just been told that I will receive an extra £20 a week due to the covid19?
I have also been reading on the U/C website that I can claim carers premium? Which is something like £162 monthly.
Would I have to stop receiving my carers allowance in order to receive the carers premium? or am I entitled to claim the premium whilst still receiving the carers allowance? 
Just a bit confused with it all.
I do have someone from U/C who is going to phone me concerning my caring role. So just wanted to make sure I know what I am entitled to and also if it would effect my sons benefits. My son claims top rate pip for care and mobility, also U/C.
Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• louise1985
    louise1985 Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    edited July 2020
    Evening
    im no expert but can give you a rough guide 
    you can be switched over to universal credit and claim the standard allowance of £409 I think it is and carers of £160 but bear in mind careers allowance is an overlapping benefit so would be deducted pound for pound(you won’t be any worse off as will still receive your carers but you will get an higher national insurance contributions) 

hope this helps I’m sure somebody who is more qualified can help with the rest 
    ?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KITKAT64 hope you are well today? you could try putting your details into one of the benefit checkers either
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
    or
    https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• KITKAT64
    HI @louise1985, HI @woodbine.

Thank you both for your replies.
    hope you are both well today?

I have been feeling a little stressed today trying to sort out benefits. It seems like they give with one hand and take with the other.
    I had an email from the care charge assessment finance  team.
    My son receives top rate P.I.P for mobility and care. He also receives U/C. I have now been told that he has to pay £25 per week towards his care charges. He has never had to pay care charges in the past and his circumstances have not changed in years, so not sure why now, out of the blue he has to pay this £25 a week? Not sure if there would be any help on here about care charges etc?
    I have just tried the benefit calculator and it looks like I will be getting basically the same as I did on income support.
    I kept my carers allowance and it was just topped up with income support. The only good news is, I will be getting the extra £20 per week due to covid19. I could not get this on income support, so that is a nice bonus, although not sure for how many months I will be getting this extra amount.
    I still have no clue what carers premium is, so doubt I would be entitled to it.
  • louise1985
    louise1985 Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    It’s such a mind field when it comes to benefits 
    it’s just seems so unfair sometimes as they give it you in one hand and take it with the other 
    I know the extra through universal credit (COVID 19) extra £20 a week is for 12 months so will end roughly April/may next year 
    not sure of your circumstances but have you tried for council tax reduction aswell 

?

• KITKAT64
    @louise1985, Yes , thanks. I was already getting the council tax reduction, which I have been told would automatically be switched over onto my U/C account. I actually got £150 refund from council tax due to the covid19, which was great.
    That is really good news about the extra £20 lasting until April /may next year. I have at least another 9 months of receiving it then.
    Thanks for your help, really appreciated
  • woodbine
    I would request a break down at how they suddenly arrive at a figure of charging £25, I suspect I know why but its worth asking them.

• KITKAT64
    @woodbine. I did ask for a breakdown and they sent me it via an email. They have said the max they can take for board and lodgings is £60 a week. They told me they were not allowed to take into account the heating/water etc, although I have read that this can be taken into account. The original letter I received said that he had to pay £50 per week. I called and complained about this and it was put down to £25 a week!
    I have to have the heating on at all times, due to my son having a bad heart and gets infections easily during winter months. I also have to have the washing machine on daily, due to him being sick and also incontinence.
    I am going to carry on complaining, until they put it back to zero again.
    Can I ask why you suspect they have charged him £25 per week? It would be very helpful to know, as I am trying to get it put back to nil again
  • woodbine
    I suspect that possibly the "applicable amounts" have increased, but I could be wrong, also most benefits increased by 1.7% this year, for many years its been 1%.

• KITKAT64
    @woodbine, thank you. I have now been in touch with my son's disability social worker. The care charge assessment finance team did not take into account any DRE ( Disability Related Expenditure)
    So I have sent an email to them with a big list of how much extra a year is spent on bedding, clothes, shoes, heating and water. Fingers crossed they maybe able to lower the £25 weekly now.
    Hope you are well today

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.