Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

What is a terminal illness

marcushodgkiss93marcushodgkiss93 Member Posts: 145 Connected
Is sleep apnea and heart failure classed as a terminal illness please thank you 

Replies

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @marcushodgkiss93, here is the definition that I have found:

Featured snippet from the web

Terminal illness or end-stage disease is a disease that cannot be cured or adequately treated and is reasonably expected to result in death of the patient. This term is more commonly used for progressive diseases such as cancer or advanced heart disease than for trauma.
    Have you spoken to your doctor about this?
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • marcushodgkiss93marcushodgkiss93 Member Posts: 145 Connected
    No not yet what do I say 
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,247 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I would have thought that sleep apnea wouldnt be considered as a terminal illness but you should consult your GP and ask them the question as we are not medical experts and could not really comment on your individual condition/

For what reason are you asking the question ?
    Ok no worries keep us updated once you get an answer 
    Fed up cont seem to get advice or any think 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry you are feeling discouraged @marcushodgkiss93. What would you like advice on?
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    Terminal illness is a learning disability classed as a terminal illness it's some think that's not going to get better and also a terminal illness you can live years with one 
    There is no time limit on a terminal illness with my learning disability i have a partley damaged brain 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,940 Scope community team
    Hi @marcushodgkiss93, if this is in relation to benefits, a terminal illness is when a doctor or medical professional has diagnosed you as having less than six months left to live. This doesn't tend to apply to learning difficulties.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    No you can live with a terminal illness for years I have read it and its saying a mental illness is class as a terminal illness 
    Hi as adrian has said for benefits it is as he stated

I would say it is more commonly known as a life long illness rather than terminal 

I have an amputated leg for example this is life long but will not die from it so not classed as terminal 

Hope this helps 
    They are saying respiratory problems which I have I had bronchitis 2 when I was little it's more like copd I have 
    I have COPD and learning disability mental illness and central sleep apnea 
    I'm sorry but like others have said it would be best to get advice from a medical professional as we are not medically trained and only giving you definitions on the wording 

I hope you get an answer 
    I know yes but no but chloe asked 
  • laurapeachlaurapeach Member Posts: 73 Courageous
    They would not be classed as terminal illnesses for the purpose of any benefits claims as it is if your condition means you only have 6 months or less to live. The word terminal means that your conditions will likely lead to you dying. Mental illnesses and learning disabilities won't cause you to die in the next 6 months, but you would need to speak to your doctor about the sleep apnea and to find out if you have COPD, having bronchitis as a child doesn't mean you have it now.
    Mum of one, I have M.E/CFS, POTS, Central Sensitization Syndrome and Joint Hypermobility Syndrome.
    Its dose not go away nurse tolled me as I have be diagnosed with it 
    And sorry but there is no time limit on death a person with a terminal illness can live years with one don't see how they can say you have less than six months or so as a person with a terminal illness can live longer sorry 
    I am not being rude but this is just going round in circles

We are all giving you our advice but you dont seem to want to take it on board that is fine for you to have your own opinion 

I wont give anymore comments 
    And sorry but there is no time limit on death a person with a terminal illness can live years with one don't see how they can say you have less than six months or so as a person with a terminal illness can live longer sorry 
    They have to define it for benefits purposes. You cannot die from learning disabilities or mental health conditions so they are not terminal. They are life-long conditions yes, and you will always have them, but they won't lead to you dying. Things like cancer and severe heart disease however will lead to your body not being able to work anymore and you will therefore die. Even outside of benefits if you have a terminal illness you are not expected to live for more than 12 months, sometimes people do but it is never normally more than a couple of years at the most.

With learning disabilities and mental health conditions you are expected to have a normal life expectancy. You will need to speak to your doctor about this.
    Mum of one, I have M.E/CFS, POTS, Central Sensitization Syndrome and Joint Hypermobility Syndrome.
    Yes I do have a terminal illness as my pip is for 10 years and your only get a 10 year award if your terminal ill its called an indefinite award 
    Yes I do have a terminal illness as my pip is for 10 years and your only get a 10 year award if your terminal ill its called an indefinite award 
    You're not terminally ill. That isn't what terminal means, terminal means you won't live for more than a year. You have a lifelong illness yes, but it isn't going to cause you to die in the next 12 months. 

@Chloe_Scope can I suggest you close this thread now as we are going around in circles trying to explain why it isn't a terminal illness. 
Sign in or join us to comment.