Going through PIP MR. Anyone successfully been awarded PIP for agoraphobia/mental health? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Going through PIP MR. Anyone successfully been awarded PIP for agoraphobia/mental health?

J35
J35 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
edited April 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi all i'm new to this site, i've recently applied for PIP due to agoraphobia/mental health, i had my phone assessment the other week and then i phoned up to get my assessment report and what a surprise 0 points for both daily living and mobility. (i know this is not the final decision i have to wait for the decision letter to appeal) i'm in the support group for ESA on universal credit i had CAB help me with this, so someone close to me reached back out to them to see if they could help with PIP we read through the descriptors and certain i can get enough points to qualify for enhanced on both (we did this before applying and CAB filled out the PIP form for me also) so i thought i had a strong chance on getting my reward without all the mental stress it causes i guess not. so now just looking on some good advice on what to do next. CAB will be helping me with this but i just thought why not reach out to here to. i want to put my strongest foot forward on appealing and there seems to be nice and intelligent people here that know what there doing so any advice is welcome. i've read from this site that only 17% MR's are successful so my hopes are not high i just want all this stress to go away and be left alone. is there anyone out there also getting PIP due to agoraphobia/mental health that got a good outcome i would love to hear from you thanks.

Comments

• laurapeach
    laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
    J35 said:
    hi all i'm new to this site, i've recently applied for PIP due to agoraphobia/mental health, i had my phone assessment the other week and then i phoned up to get my assessment report and what a surprise 0 points for both daily living and mobility. (i know this is not the final decision i have to wait for the decision letter to appeal) i'm in the support group for ESA on universal credit i had CAB help me with this, so someone close to me reached back out to them to see if they could help with PIP we read through the descriptors and certain i can get enough points to qualify for enhanced on both (we did this before applying and CAB filled out the PIP form for me also) so i thought i had a strong chance on getting my reward without all the mental stress it causes i guess not. so now just looking on some good advice on what to do next. CAB will be helping me with this but i just thought why not reach out to here to. i want to put my strongest foot forward on appealing and there seems to be nice and intelligent people here that know what there doing so any advice is welcome. i've read from this site that only 17% MR's are successful so my hopes are not high i just want all this stress to go away and be left alone. is there anyone out there also getting PIP due to agoraphobia/mental health that got a good outcome i would love to hear from you thanks.
    I'm currently writing my MR now, I was awarded standard daily living but nothing for mobility and given the amount of evidence etc I have given them I feel I should be getting enhanced on both. My best advice is to take your time, look at what has been written in the report and try and pick it apart. Once you've done that give it a few days and then create a word document where you can write everything that is wrong with the report, and explain why you believe you should get a different amount of points for each part. Mine has come to 11 pages so far (not counting my evidence) and I just go in and read through it every couple of days to add/change things as needed. 
    Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Hi Lulu or Lou, hve you got any advice for @J35 who has posted regarding appealing PIP decision please
  • Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    what thread what thread is it on Katho can’t find it xx
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    lulu i dont know :)? im going nuts with it xx
  • Lulu_1949
    Don’t worry luvvy, I will try and find it xx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

They usually go with the report, it's very rare they go against it. Of course you'll still need to wait for the decision before you can request the MR. Once the decision is made you'll have 4 weeks to request it. You should put the request in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Then give a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same so it's likely you'll need to take it to Tribunal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lulu_1949
    Sorry Katho didn’t realise you meant this thread.
    agree with @poppy123456 this is what happened to us and ended up going to appeal 
  • J35
    J35 said:
    I'm currently writing my MR now, I was awarded standard daily living but nothing for mobility and given the amount of evidence etc I have given them I feel I should be getting enhanced on both. My best advice is to take your time, look at what has been written in the report and try and pick it apart. Once you've done that give it a few days and then create a word document where you can write everything that is wrong with the report, and explain why you believe you should get a different amount of points for each part. Mine has come to 11 pages so far (not counting my evidence) and I just go in and read through it every couple of days to add/change things as needed. 
    hi laurapeach, thanks for your reply and advice really appreciate it. i'm currently waiting for my decision letter to come so i can appeal, i hope your MR goes well so you don't have to go to tribunal keep us/me informed how it goes if you don't mind.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @J35 - & welcome to the community. As far as doing a Mandatory Reconsideration(MR) for PIP also goes, whilst there's no reason to not mention a couple of obvious errors in your assessment report, it should mainly be about why you should have gained points. I'll send the following link, & whilst it's about claiming PIP for people with mental health issues, it may also help when considering your MR. Please see: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/
    Hope this helps too. :)

• J35
    katho31 said:
    Hi Lulu or Lou, hve you got any advice for @J35 who has posted regarding appealing PIP decision please
    thank you for bringing your friends and trying to help i really appreciate it 
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,608 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi just want to wish you well, I had previously been getting pip DL until February after my new assessment I received 6 points for dl so nothing, 10 points for mobility so low mobility, I put in MR and then sent more evidence from doctor and hospital consultant, got word back last week my mobility was changed to Enhanced, I’m delighted with that but I’m going to appeal as I believe I should receive at least another 2 points to receive DL, I was advised that only about 17% of MR are changed, but found out the other day it is much higher, so good luck take care ?
  • Lulu_1949
    @J35 we are all friends on here luvvy, all the best to you x
  • J35
    Hi,

They usually go with the report, it's very rare they go against it. Of course you'll still need to wait for the decision before you can request the MR. Once the decision is made you'll have 4 weeks to request it. You should put the request in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Then give a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same so it's likely you'll need to take it to Tribunal.
    yeah i'm sure the MR will fail but you never know. it sounds like its the same appeal system like UC (i've been through it all before) my ESA claim on UC went all the way to tribunal but the tribunal never happened had a letter from the tribunal people out of the blue (cant remember what it said now) then a few days later had a message on my UC online journal from DWP saying they have had a look at my claim again and decided to put me in the support group (i didn't even send it extra evidence after the MR) so they was looking at the same info there already had when it went to MR the first time!! they wasted like 8 months of my time for nothing...

so i guess there just playing games with me again but i'll keep you all updated on what happens. 
  • J35
    Lulu_1949 said:
    Sorry Katho didn’t realise you meant this thread.
    agree with @poppy123456 this is what happened to us and ended up going to appeal 
    yeah i'm already convinced it will go to tribunal as in past experience unfortunately but it is what it is i cant do nothing about it. i'll just make sure to put a good MR in and see what happens i hope your appeal goes well. 
  • J35
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @J35 - & welcome to the community. As far as doing a Mandatory Reconsideration(MR) for PIP also goes, whilst there's no reason to not mention a couple of obvious errors in your assessment report, it should mainly be about why you should have gained points. I'll send the following link, & whilst it's about claiming PIP for people with mental health issues, it may also help when considering your MR. Please see: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/
    Hope this helps too. :)

chiarieds i have just bookmarked this page so i can get back to it easily this will definitely be helpful thanks alot
  • J35
    Lou67 said:
    Hi just want to wish you well, I had previously been getting pip DL until February after my new assessment I received 6 points for dl so nothing, 10 points for mobility so low mobility, I put in MR and then sent more evidence from doctor and hospital consultant, got word back last week my mobility was changed to Enhanced, I’m delighted with that but I’m going to appeal as I believe I should receive at least another 2 points to receive DL, I was advised that only about 17% of MR are changed, but found out the other day it is much higher, so good luck take care ?
    thanks for your reply lou i appreciate it, congrats on your enhanced mobility mate at least something good came out of your MR unfortunately i think DWP do this on purpose just try and string people along as long as they can to put people off so they give up things need to change. good luck on your tribunal btw let me know what happens i hope its good news, take care   
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,608 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh thanks a lot, yeah I think your right first time I applied in 2017 I got nothing went all the way to appeal in 2018 got DL Iv also had to do it like yourself with ESA twice in fact it’s a nightmare, don’t give up get any other evidence you haven’t already submitted and put it in, I got some records of my doctor also a copy of cpl of letters the consultant sent my doctor and copy of xrays so don’t give up, let’s know how it goes for you.?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    @J35 - you're most welcome. Don't be downhearted, MRs can be successful (mine was too), & the success rate does appear to be somewhat better at the moment. However giving the best info you can is what matters in your individual case. :)
  • laurapeach
    laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
    J35 said:
    J35 said:
    hi laurapeach, thanks for your reply and advice really appreciate it. i'm currently waiting for my decision letter to come so i can appeal, i hope your MR goes well so you don't have to go to tribunal keep us/me informed how it goes if you don't mind.
    Yes of course I can keep you updated! The decision maker actually went against one of the assessors decisions which is why I ended up with daily living, but it's not very often they do. I started writing my MR when I got the report to try and get a head start on it and give myself enough time to get it right. 
    Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.
  • J35
    J35 said:
    J35 said:
    Yes of course I can keep you updated! The decision maker actually went against one of the assessors decisions which is why I ended up with daily living, but it's not very often they do. I started writing my MR when I got the report to try and get a head start on it and give myself enough time to get it right. 
    my report is basically a copy paste answer on every question its crazy almost like no effort was put into it.. im sending a copy to my CAB person and she will look over it to, that being said do you have your local CAB involved? i can't recommend them enough i wouldn't of even applied for PIP without them (not to add any other pressure were all dealing with) but there helping me alot. wish you all the best laura take care.   

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.