Moving from DLA to PIP claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving from DLA to PIP claim

Options
Cupcake56
Cupcake56 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
As I am nearly 16 I have to change from DLA to PIP. I would love some advice as last time I had to fight the decision at court and it took me 2 years.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Cupcake56 Welcome to the community, we have some great advice on applying for PIP on here if you look in the PIP section and also at other members posts

But it all starts with the form and completing it with as much detail as possible giving examples of what happens when you try and complete the tasks, can you do the task if not why not, do you need help or aids, can you do it repeatedly and safely.

Also send in any relevant medical evidence not appt letters but medication list and any reports detailing how your condition affects your daily living

Hope this helps have a good read and if any more questions dont hesitate to ask
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hello @Cupcake56 and a very warm welcome to the online community :) 

I hope you are well today. 

The advice from @janer1967 is fantastic, I have no doubt you will find it helpful.

I've filled in the PIP form myself and when I did it I was a similar age to you. I would definitely advise being proactive and getting together as much evidence as possible. I would also think about how your condition impacts your daily living and mobility, and consider how you would explain this with examples. 

If you need any further guidance on filling out the PIP form, Citizens Advice have a great page on the topic here.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have a read of this link which will give you a good idea about what PIP is and how it differs to DLA 
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Cupcake56 - & welcome to the community from me too. Just to add a little to the link above, the following is identical in showing the activities/descriptors & points, but there are some notes at the end that may be relevant: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    Try & give a couple of recent examples, for each descriptor that applies, explaining when, how & why, etc. you had problems doing/attempting an activity, & what happened afterwards if that's relevant, as also advised above by Jane. The Citizens Advice info is also relevant, & detailed.
    As far as medical evidence goes, just use that which gives/explains any diagnosis. After that, unless any additional medical info explains any functional problems, i.e. why you have difficulties doing an activity, then less is more. :)

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

I totally agree with @chiarieds here about less being more. Sending in huge amounts of evidence such as assessment reports, Consultant letters, care plans etc isn't helpful. It's very unlikely that they will read all of it. My advice is to look through all of your evidence to see what maybe useful and if it's doesn't state how your conditions affect you then i wouldn't send it.

If you do insist on sending them then please read through everything to make sure there's no contradiictions between different reports.
    Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.