New claim for ESA - not received my payment yet. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New claim for ESA - not received my payment yet.

Simon1986
Simon1986 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
Hi Guys,

Totally new here so apologies if this has been covered before...

I received my entitlement letter dated 29/7/2020 on 5/8/2020 telling me I've been awarded ESA from 10/4/2020 - I also received a lot of other information at the same time, including my capability assessment booklet, so got confused and rang to ask when my first payment would be.

They initially told me it had been actioned but not approved and that I should have had it already but they don't know why, then after another phone call told me it hasn't been actioned yet (They checked the central payment system and confirmed my PIP is the only thing being paid right now).

They wouldn't give me a rough estimate of how long I need to wait, or how much I will be receiving when asked, and also wouldn't check my bank details to make sure they're right (although asked me to confirm the bank payments are set to be paid into) - I get really bad anxiety due to Autism and BPD so this caused massive lack of sleep last night.

I have literally no money right now, so tried to do an advance application to get some electric and some food, but they tried to talk me out of it....

Basically, has anyone else had a similar experience, or know what could be going on? Getting information out of the 0310 number is like trying to pull blood from a stone, as they're passing the buck to the first payment team.

I should also add, 4 emails have now supposedly been sent to the first payment team, and they were meant to call me by 10.30 am this morning - not had anything so far.....

Thanks for any help!!

Comments

• Simon1986
    Still no call back, or money in my account, does anyone have any ideas as to what could be happening?? Getting ridiculously anxious now as my electric is about 30 minutes away from running out
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome @Simon1986 I am sorry to hear the trouble you are having. It is hard for us to comment as we dont really know the answer it is in the hands of the DWP.

I would try and speak to your case manager ask them to put you through to them as if it is not sorted today you will have to wait till next week

I hope you get it sorted

You should have an emergency credit for your electric if not then call the electric company and explain and they may put some credit on for you

Keep us updated
  • Simon1986
    edited August 2020
    Hi @janer1967, thanks for the response :)

I was worried that was going to be the answer - just find it really strange that they can't help out over the phone? Also, my emergency is already on, that's why I'm so worried! :/

I'm on the phone to them again now for the 4th time in 2 days (wanna play guess the wait time?) so I will try and speak to my case manager when I eventually get through.

Thanks again
  • janer1967
    Your welcome I will tag in our benefits champion who may be able to give you more help

@poppy123456 can you help here 

Call the electric company they will help 
  • Simon1986
    Thank you so much, it's really appreciated! I'm just feeling lost with all of it to be completely honest - I didn't even know I could claim any benefits at all until a month ago, so have been living off standard daily living PIP and handouts for almost 12 months.

I'll call the electric company in a bit, thanks again
  • janer1967
    Your welcome good luck hope you get it sorted 
  • Simon1986
    edited August 2020
    Rolling update - on the phone now, waiting on the Belfast centre to sign off for my same day payments to be released - they refused to do an advance for me yesterday because of that, but it wasn't explained properly.

So basically, the money is there it's just a case of them taking their time releasing it, and also even if they do sign it off today, I'm pretty sure with previous experience of same day payments it would have needed to be processed by 14:30 for me to get it today :/

Also, thought I'd let you know - I asked to speak to my CM and they said you don't have one on ESA
  • janer1967
    If its processed you should get it maybe call the bank make sure it is credited asap 
  • Simon1986
    No, sadly it's awaiting being signed off - the person on the phone made that very clear before the call cut off (just my luck) luckily he rang back to tell me he's still digging and will call again to save me being on hold for my battery.

Plus, they told me yesterday about it being actioned but not approved and it *should* be in today, this must corrolate to having to wait for someone in Belfast to sign it off.

In terms of ringing the bank, I don't need to. I bank with Starling, so have an app that shows me upcoming payments (ADHD - extreme forgetfulness so it's really handy) and that's not showing any pending payments.

If anyone is glancing this, I suggest giving Starling a go if you struggle with keeping track of spending, it gives you a breakdown of what you spend, what it goes on and where it's spent, as well as notifications everytime you use your card or take cash out - it's really helped me a lot with the little money I have at the moment!
  • Simon1986
    But yeah,

I think from what I've been told so far in this call, I have the answer - they're backed up at the moment due to COVID and can't get through stuff quick enough, they're 40% down on staff according to the last agent I spoke to, and have a backlog of claims, so it's taking them longer.

Still doesn't help when they refuse an advance based on a payment that was *meant* to go in and didn't :/
  • janer1967
    Thanks for sharing about the banking app maybe put up in a separate post so it is brought to other members attention 
  • Simon1986
    Which would be the best group for that, if I may ask?
  • janer1967
    Maybe put it in the coffee lounge or in the finance section or both
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger

It should have been New Style ESA that you claimed, is that correct? If so may i ask if you've worked at all in tax years April 2017 to April 2019? claiming this ESA will depend on your NI contributions in those tax years. If you've paid the correct amnount then you will receive £74.35 per week (over 25's)

If you haven't paid the correct amount then your claim will be for NI credits towards your state pension only, you won't receive any payments.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Simon1986
    edited August 2020
    Hi @poppy123456 - thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

I'm receiving income based ESA - I was self employed over 2017-2019, so don't have the correct NI for contributions. I'm getting the SDP element as well due to PIP and already having an open claim for Housing Benefit with severe disablement entitlement on it, so they've awarded me £141.30 from the 10th April (minus 7 waiting days).

Literally just had a notification from my bank that they've paid one of the owed backpayments that were discussed on the phone, so waiting on about 75% of it still, but!! I CAN GET ELECTRIC!!!!! This has literally come in when I finished the top paragraph, so right now I'm feeling a rather strange sense of relief!! :D 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad it's all sorted :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Simon1986
    Me too!! :D

My paranoia was taking me to some dark places, worrying they thought I was trying to commit fraud and all sorts because nobody would discuss my bank details or anything! So glad it's been dealt with now, just waiting on the rest next week! :)
  • janer1967
    Glad it has been sorted in part and you have some money 
  • Simon1986
    Thanks! Thank you for trying to help as well, one of those situations where just having another person to talk to about it helps a little, you know?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Really pleased this is all sorted @Simon1986. I've just read through your whole thread and it's been a bit of a rollercoaster! 

Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.