Cataract surgery — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cataract surgery

Wini1960
Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
edited August 2020 in Sensory impairments
Hi I know this is nothing to do with disability but is there anyone who has had cataract surgery. My sister said I will be okay she was a former Opthalmic staff nurse and she also had cataract surgery. Am I.just being scared for nothing. The surgery is on Thursday unless my INR is out of range then I will have to postpone.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wini1960! I've moved your post into the Visual and Hearing Impairments category so that our members who might have experience of this surgery will be more likely to see it. I don't have advice for you, as I haven't had the surgery, but I think your feelings of anxiety are quite normal and definitely valid. I hope that someone with some experience will be able to put your mind at rest.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wini1960 I have not had the surgery myself but I am going to be having it in due course it isnt quite severe enough as yet and as I am blind in my other eye they donyt want to risk it till it is necessary

However my Mum has had both eyes done and she is 83 this year, had it done couple years ago. It was very successful and she now has the best eye sight of all the family 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for your input @janer1967! Has that put your mind at rest a little @Wini1960?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    My Dad had cataract done both eyes a few weeks or so apart, the first was great no problems at all, on the second one they made the incision to big and he lost his sight on that eye.
    I imagine this rarely happens but there is always risk with any surgery.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Wini1960, I've never had the surgery. However, I've lost the vast majority of my sight over the last 3 years (mainly 12 months) and I appreciate the fear around changes to your vision. It can be really daunting and your fears are valid.

I really hope today went well and that you are okay.  <3
    Scope

Brightness