Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Well, been a while...

KarmaMarKarmaMar Member - under moderation Posts: 73 Courageous
Well, been a while........

Since winning all the benefits i went blind in left eye last year because of the diabetes. it actually healed up and returned to about 80% of the former vision and then in Jan this year a blood vessel went pop! and that is it gone again.

i am using these freestyle blood sugar monitoring patches occasionally to measure blood sugars but it is not good now, over the last 7 days of having the sensor fitted my blood sugars have been average 17.9mmol/L. They cost around £50 on ebay and then you need a reader on top of that.

I reckon i got covid way back this year, before all the fuss kicked off, i was shopping in local Aldi and a woman was stood there in the middle of an isle coughing her head off. i got bad stomach for weeks, those red dots on my toes and a few months of chest pains but no fever or cough. i believe that if i had not had flu proper so many times in my life before then it would have been far worse for me, but am still here so...

i never have any visitors apart from delivery drivers and only go out around once a week for my main shop, it really did not impact my mental health at all the lock down, my neighbourhood was a bit quieter and of course i could not get the usual home shopping deliveries any more.

Controversial but i can't wear a mask when out shopping, i struggle with breathing and do not feel happy with it on at all.

the inevitable slide into dementia is well on its path now, i am very well organised so that hides some of it but because no one regularly speaks to me face to face then no-one knows. it is because of the many abuses and PTSD, i know this, the high blood sugars are also causing big damage in that department/everywhere. I have had a slow walk, gait is the medical term? for years now, a classic sign of aging beyond your real age.

i enjoy watching dvd's and blurays, my 2 cats are fantastic, had an upset with the black and white one at the start of the year, he was lethargic and leaving small brown poos everywhere, took him to the vets she said yes there is something wrong as it lasted for weeks, she gave me some pills for him but my hunch was something different, at that time they were on pouches and dry food. he could not eat/process the 2 pouched food i was giving him so now he gets one and i cook up a large chicken in slow cooker, sort of mash it up, the meat that is, then bag it up and freeze it for them. it is a laborious process but now he is picture of health again. the chicken was only supposed to be for him but his brother, the grey and white, will not eat his pouches anymore and just eats the chicken! 

well folks, that is all for now from my corner of the world, hope everyone is well. going to put another dvd on soon.

Replies

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 2,998 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KarmaMar really sorry to hear that things have been so bad for you this year and I really hope things improve take care.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,795 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KarmaMar I don't think I've spoke to you before, I'm Cher one of the new Online Community Coordinators here at Scope.

I'm sorry to hear about the health conditions you have been dealing with such as going blind in one eye and diabetes.  That's a lot to deal with.  Also, it sounds like you might well have had covid-19.  I'm glad you got over it and I know what you mean about disliking wearing masks.  

Do you have regular contact with your GP or a health team about your dementia?  I hope so and that they can help you manage it.  

You mentioned that you didn't see many people on a day to day basis.  Would you be interested in having someone visit you to talk like a befriender?  Sometimes it's good to just have a natter.  This link will take to a Befriending Networks site that could organise that for you > http://www.befriending.co.uk/ 

Also, how lucky are your cats to have you looking after them?!  Freshly cooked chicken too, that's not shabby.  My cats would be over to your place in a shot :D
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,452 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KarmaMar Welcome back sorry to hear of all your troubles

I am in a similar situation I am blind in one eye from glaucoma due to diabetes, I have also had surgery on my good eye several times and also suffered a huge bleed back in May which left me virtually blind. After lots of laser surgery this has now almost cleared but if the blood hasnt cleared by next appointment they are going to do surgery to remove the jelly layer 

I also have had a leg amputated due to sepsis again from being diabetic. It really is an invisible ticking time bomb 

I hope you have a supportive GP and medical team
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KarmaMar, just wanted to check in to see how you are doing. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • KarmaMarKarmaMar Member - under moderation Posts: 73 Courageous

Wow, sorry, did not expect so many replies so soon! Many thanks all!

Hi @Woodbine I remember your name from before, think because my grandad smoked them, lol! It is the worse unspoken abuses people are still putting me through that are the hardest, but even those you become numb to after a while, it is not so much a bad year as the same old cycle of abuses again. boring! :-P

Hi @Cher_Scope, shrugs, hard to explain Cher but health care is all in my own hands, or not as the case may be. Some people are very lucky are get exceptional first class medical care, some get fine and some get average, if you fall further down the scale you get absolutely appalling lifetime health care from the NHS. That last description is where I fall under. Some 10 years ago I had to stand up for my Rights against the local Council and they did not like that so they set their social workers on me. I explained and explained and it fell on death ears, I warned if you ever try to force me into treatment I do not want then that will result in a complete disengagement from the NHS, they still Sectioned me so that was the end. I don't really "do" people now, too much abuse from everywhere.

@janer1967, same year as me! yeah it is a ticking time bomb, but meh, they blame me I blame them and I don't want to bore you too much but my story has many valid points through the years. Apparently my good right eye has the dreaded white spots meaning it will be next. I think something bigger will go before that happens, lol. so bad for sepsis, so sorry for you, my legs and feet are covered in scars, they take so long to heal I guess I have been very lucky to escape that so far.

One of my major gripes about the NHS G.P's/Dr's I have had since childhood is that they NEVER record the facts, you know like he fainted in school assembly on XX/XX/XXXX or had the flu but did not treat him on XX/XX/XXXX, instead my medical records appear to be full of slander for want of a better word "beliefs". like the NHS doctor who released me from the Sectioning and he couldn't even give me a medical diagnosis after 8 days of solid observations. I could simply: Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, but Doctors eh? one says to you how intelligent you are and the other doesn't even bother listening to you, just a few months apart.

I have a new range of abuses never experienced before now that only started a few days ago, people knocking on my door asking for free beer/lager! a couple this morning told me it was on Gumtree, but I have searched Gumtree and found nothing (already contacted Gumtree for answers). I suspect it is on Facebook (I am not a member and do not want to be), they appear to be ringing a phone number when outside my house, of course now I do not answer the knocks at the door. I have so many abusing enemies in the neighbourhood and area generally so where to start? it could even be GMP/freemasons messing with me, gone through many possibilities for it. it is not good for my CPSTD though. anyway, will try to get more answers from the next idiots knocking for free beer!

Sign in or join us to comment.