Claiming PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming PIP

thekelpie
thekelpie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone I’m new to this and second time claiming or trying to claim pip 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Hello @thekelpie and welcome to our online community! It's great to have you here. 

If you want to get help with your PIP claim you might find our PIP discussion board useful.

If you just fancy a natter, then pop over to our coffee lounge , pull up a seat and feel free to join in!

I hope you are having a lovely Friday.

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @thekelpie welcome to the community, all best wishes. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    HI and welcome,

You say it's your 2nd time at claiming PIP. May i ask whether you requested the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) then Tribunal for that first claim. If you didn't was there any reason why?

Reapplying using the same evidence you used the first time will likely see another refusal. What you need to do when filling out those forms is put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Medical evidence isn't always helpful if it doesn't state exactly how your conditions affect you and a lot of medical evidence doesn't state this. It will only ever state the basics like medication, appointment details etc etc.

Anecdotal evidence is always the best. A couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Also include, where you were, what you were doing and who seen it. Use extra paper and make sure you add your name and NI number to everything you send.

If you're not successful again this time then you'll have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR, then it's Tribunal after that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @thekelpie - welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. I hope your PIP claim goes well, & you find Poppy's advice helpful. If you haven't looked at the descriptors/activities before, you might find this link useful: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf   including the notes at the end. If you have any questions at all do say. :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @thekelpie! :)
    Scope

• thekelpie
    Hello all I’m not very good with technology bear with me if it doesn’t make sense , it will be my second time trying to claim pip was previously indefinite dla but condition had deteriorated so was happy to transition to pip but got zero for both components so did mr it came back almost identical zero points again I was overwhelmed and gave up last year but decided to try again April and had phone assessment three weeks ago and just received assessment hcp report which is much better but until I receive Dwp letter I’m still not hopeful after the first time 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @thekelpie

Good Afternoon & Welcome ??

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @thekelpie Welcome to the community glad you have joined us

It sounds like you PIP application has been more successful the DM usually goes with the report so if this recommends an award then you should fingers crossed get one, but obviously as you know this isnt the final decision

Hope it goes well and keep us updated
  • thekelpie
    Hello the report which my husband has gone thru has dots in the boxes which I hope I get awarded as is like night and day from first report so as I said until I hear from Dwp with their answer I will still be nervous but glad I asked for the assessment report anyway as is accurate and phone call 2.5 hours very tiring and yes if and when brown envelope drops thru box will let everyone know
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    @thekelpie 

Welcome to the Scope community :) 

It's completely natural to be nervous, best of luck with the outcome, I hope you get what you're looking for :) 

Yes please do let us know how you get on!
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @thekelpie, they do tend to go with the points on the assessment report so fingers crossed! :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.