Garden - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Garden

Comments

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    I am now only 2 to 3 weeks away from finally getting part of my garden paved after trying for 6 months to do so. Thanks to all our there that have given support and help over this. I appreciate it all and glad I joined the community.
    Last week I also had my MIR scan that was put back from March because of the virus and next week I'm having a CT scan. So my operation to take some of my pain away gets closer. 
    One sour note is someone over the last day or so dug up and stole some newly planted plants from the garden, things my wife bought to brighten up the garden to help with the overall look of it.
    What is going on in the world today? Do people really have to stoop so low? The plants were costly, but the effort to improve things far greater. She now wonders if trying to improve the garden is worth it and it makes us both wonder what next!! Because we also had our garden bench stolen a while ago. I

Stay safe
    Alan
  • kaiasparrow
    kaiasparrow Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
    I am now only 2 to 3 weeks away from finally getting part of my garden paved after trying for 6 months to do so. Thanks to all our there that have given support and help over this. I appreciate it all and glad I joined the community.
    Last week I also had my MIR scan that was put back from March because of the virus and next week I'm having a CT scan. So my operation to take some of my pain away gets closer. 
    One sour note is someone over the last day or so dug up and stole some newly planted plants from the garden, things my wife bought to brighten up the garden to help with the overall look of it.
    What is going on in the world today? Do people really have to stoop so low? The plants were costly, but the effort to improve things far greater. She now wonders if trying to improve the garden is worth it and it makes us both wonder what next!! Because we also had our garden bench stolen a while ago. I

Stay safe
    Alan
    I'm glad to hear you are closer to your surgery, I hope it all goes well. 

People are awful, we used to have plants stolen all the time in the area I used to live! Is there any way to secure your garden more? Have you looked into indoor gardening, might be a bit more secure for you? Plenty of things you can grow on a windowsill like herbs, and there are some tropical plants that grow well indoors. I have an African violet, a peace lily, and lots of ivy plants. In winter I bring my chilli pepper plants inside and they do well near a window. It is horrible when you find something that makes you feel good and then people are selfish! I hope you can find a way to enjoy it again
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    This week is National Allotment Week! I've put together some information about accessible gardening which you might be interested in. :)
    Scope

• Dragonslayer
    Finally I have been given the 20th of this month as a definite date to start having part of my garden paved. So after 6 months of trying we will be able to sit outside on a nice stone patio, and I will be able to stop banging on about it. Thanks to all for advice, support and help in achieving this and I will raise a glass in thanks when I finally get to sit out there.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's really great news @Dragonslayer! Let us know when it's all finished so that we can all raise a glass too (any excuse!) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Dragonslayer
    That's really great news @Dragonslayer! Let us know when it's all finished so that we can all raise a glass too (any excuse!) 

Thanks Tori.
    I will raise a glass (Or probably 2)  And think of all of you doing the same, It is after all,  as you say a good enough excuse 

• Chloe_Scope
    Amazing news @Dragonslayer! I can't wait to see it. I bet you are really excited to be able to sit outside. Please do let us know how it all goes. Garden party to celebrate?  ;)
    Scope

• Dragonslayer
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
    I have a set of golf clubs I no longer use, complete with bag and trolley. My wife hates the room they take up and would like me to get rid. I have no idea where to sell them, or for how much. I kept them in the hope that one day I would play again. But have to concede I wont. I never played competitively or good actually and just played for fun and only seldom. They are in excellent condition, the bag and trolley are still as new.
    Anyway do you know anyone that has a use for them? I am not looking to make a lot of money out of this, just looking for someone that could make good use of them. Any ideas? 
  • Dragonslayer
    Next Monday 9.00am is the start day and time for my patio to start getting !aided. I know that doesn't mean a lot to many, but to me after 6 months of trying I am finally getting there.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m really glad to hear about that @Dragonslayer :):)

• Dragonslayer
    Hi there
    I have had several Bonsai trees over the last few years. The one I have now seems to be struggling to survive!
    Not sure if I am over watering or not! Anyone. Know about them, or what to do? 
  • Dragonslayer
    @66Mustang
    Thanks for that mate, It looks like the wait is over, finally. I will raise a glass to all on here for all the help I have been given. ?
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    If you are planning on giving the golf clubs away I have a little bit of advice. My experience is that even if you want to give something away for free, it’s worth putting up an advert that the item is for sale for a small fee. This weeds out those who just want free stuff and don’t care what it is as unfortunately there are a lot of people like this. Then, when a genuine buyer who really wants the item comes to pick the item up you can give them a nice surprise by telling them to keep their money.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dragonslayer
    Hi fellow gardeners.
    Great news. ?
    Patio and pathway in my little garden has been prepared and the hardcore spread and is now ready for the paving stone to be laid.
    Bad news. ?
    Weather looks awful over the next few days.
    Whatever happened to summer? ?

• Dragonslayer
    Hi Everyone
    I need help with keeping cats from invading my back garden.
    I would like to do this in a humane way. I say this because my wife is close to getting a shotgun LOL. 
    We have security lights and the cats, or cat? Set these off and my wife always sees them come on, even from the adjoining room. 
    We have one of those solar powered 'sonic signal cat scare thing's ' That does not help, Or not with this particular cat anyway. We also have Lavender in the garden, doesn't help! 
    Any Idea's?

• Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Dragonslayer, how is your cat-proof garden going? :)
    Scope

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
  • Dragonslayer
    @Chloe_Scope
    My new garden paving is just a day away from being completed.
    And would you believe it! The cat is all over it. It seems we have disturbed it's 'habitat' ?    
    Sorry to all cat lovers, but I hate the thing. It even got to walk on it before we did.
    Maybe they really are Gods like the Egyptians believed! ?

• Dragonslayer
    @chiarieds
    Interesting. I had a look at what you sent me.
    Thank you I will definitely look into that further.

Brightness