over 70 licence — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

over 70 licence

Ryde555
Ryde555 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited August 2020 in Transport and travel
I could not renew my over 70s licence although this was my first renewal, it would not accept the bypass of passport no, as I don't have one and stated my licence was invalid and would need to complete form D1, I completed the form as requested, returned to DVLA with my old licence and birth certificate / proof of pension etc. It has now been returned back to me requesting I send in new photo and £17 fee to be paid by cheque which as I don't possess a cheque book will have to wait 7 days for it to be sent out, as my bank branch has closed and the nearest branch is 12 miles away.
So far this has cost me £29 with photos / fee and 2 lots of signed for postage, can someone explain why I am having to pay in the first place
as I was advised this was free for over 70s and why I had to include another photo with it when my 1st over 70s licence with phot  is not quite 3yrs old, so now my current licence will be invalid in 5 days time and I am not supposed to drive, I luckily have all my faculties but this could be very daunting for someone else.
Anyone have any idea why this is happening

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble renewing your licence @Ryde555

I just had a look on the gov.uk website and it looks like you only need to provide a passport number if you'd like to change the photograph on your licence at the same time as renewing. Did you want to change your photograph, or did they tell you that you had to? 

I'm not sure why you're having to pay, as it does say on the gov.uk website that it's free of charge for over-70s. Someone else will hopefully be able to advise you on this. 

The website also says that you can continue driving whilst the DVLA has your licence as long as:
    • you have the support of your doctor to continue driving
    • you had a valid licence
    • you only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
    • your application is less than a year old
    • your last licence wasn’t revoked or refused for medical reasons
    • you’re not currently disqualified
    • you weren’t disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013
    Or is the problem now that it won't be renewed on time?

For reference, this is the web page I was reading
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Ryde555
    The system owuld not let me go the passport no just came up can't verify identity without passport ID
    and driving licence invalid would need to fill in form D1, when I sent in the form I ticked the renew licence
    at 70 and over box which did not require a photo and enclose my old licence with documentation as requested,
    they sent it back with letter asking for new photo and fee of £17.
  • Tori_Scope
    How strange @Ryde555. Have you given them a call to explain the situation? I'll try and do some more research now to see if I can find out what might be going on.

I've also moved your post into the Motability, Blue Badge, and Disabled Motoring category on the community and tagged it as unanswered so that our other members will be able to find it more easily.

• Ryde555
    I believe they are currently only taking certain calls, and direct you to online services
  • Tori_Scope
    Ah right I see @ryde555. I just saw on the Age UK website that the DVLA are only taking calls from key workers.

I'm really not sure what's going on I'm afraid. The only other questions I have that could lead to an answer are:
    • Did you have a photocard or a paper driving licence previously? 
    • Did you try to renew within 2 months of the expiry date?

• Ryde555
    Yes had a photocard and have tried several times online within the last 2 months but always comes up the same
    so can't pass passport step which clearly says if you don't want to give passport no or don't have a passport click
    next
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm stumped @Ryde555 . I hope someone else will be able to help out!

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Where did the £17 charge come from for the new photo? Normally It's £14 for a change of photo on your driving license. https://www.gov.uk/renew-photo-driving-licence

Although for ages 70 and over even changing the photo is free.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    I haven't been able to add it up either @poppy123456

• poppy123456
    @Tori_Scope I don't understand the £17 fee because it doesn't point to anything.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Was it all definitely being conducted through the genuine website?

sorry to ask that but it’s worth checking.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ryde555
  • Ryde555
    The £17 fee was requested in the letter from the DVLA  when they returned my application form,
    which I assume is beacause they are doing a new card with photo
  • Tori_Scope
    Hmm it does say on that link @poppy123456 sent that:

If your driving licence or entitlement to drive is due to expire between 1 February and 31 August 2020 it will be automatically extended for 7 months
    So could that be the case, and they think that you're trying to replace, rather than renew, your driving licence? I could be totally wrong.

• poppy123456
    Ryde555 said:
    The £17 fee was requested in the letter from the DVLA  when they returned my application form,
    which I assume is beacause they are doing a new card with photo

Ok, i just looked the the Gov,.uk site for driving licence. Over 70's is free but for the photo it's £14 if renewing online and £17 if it's by post.
    I can only assume that because they've asked for a new photo they are charging you for this.
    Full details here.

• Ryde555
    As far as I'm aware the over 70s were not incl in the extension they still had to renew as normal,
    because some comments online considered it unfair.

• Tori_Scope
    Ah right @Ryde555. In that case I think @poppy123456 must be right. 

• Ryde555
    I would not have had this fiasco and paying out for new photo and licence fee if I could have done
    it online, I did not ask to change my photo and ticked the renew licence, box not the renew licence
    with new photo. But they sent it back asking for new photo and £17, I am 72 and my over 70s first
    licence was only done in 2017 with photo
  • poppy123456
    Ryde555 said:
    As far as I'm aware the over 70s were not incl in the extension they still had to renew as normal,
    because some comments online considered it unfair.

That's not correct. Here on the gov.uk website it clearly states they will be extended for 7 months.
    Even under normal circumstances you can continue to drive while you wait for your new licence, providing you meet specif conditions.

• poppy123456
    edited August 2020
    You need a valid passpot to be able to renew it online.

Brightness