DWP Building A Medical Records Trawling Tool — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP Building A Medical Records Trawling Tool

male45
male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
edited August 2020 in Coffee lounge

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I have my doubts, now had it been in the daily fail  >:)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• male45
    It is interesting though..

Best Wishes 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Interesting but suirely they have more pressing concerns to address before this
  • male45
    janer1967 said:
    Interesting but suirely they have more pressing concerns to address before this

@janer1967
    I agree
    If you look at some of the links on that site there are reports of how 74 per cent of pip appeals are successful and one about dwp visiting UC claiments in hospitals
    I just wonder if its all fake
    Best Wishes 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    As the article is 18 months old, I think we might have heard more about this from other sources. The article says GPs often don't know much about a person's functional ability; only the person knows that fully, so what would be the point of it anyway?
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    This is a conflict. It does disabled people no good at all when some horrible person claims he cannot work because he is confined to bed, then gets filmed unloading a builder's  lorry .
    The papers get hold of the story gleefully,  and then the general public are suspicious  and resentful of all disabled  people, because  they themselves do hard jobs, pay tax, and believe their tax goes to lying parasitic scroungers.

On the other hand, that liar could have a) lied to his g.p. who believes he cannot  get out of bed, or else  b) gone to his g.p. to get treatment  for blisters on his hands from the cash in hand job he does for the building  supplier.

It's  quite horrible to think non medical  people are looking at personal  details,  but it's also understandable that they need confirmation the claimant  is truthful.   If you have a car crash, you will not be able to claim injury compensation from the insurance  company, until you hand over your medical  records.  They  would just not believe your word .  Should taxpayers' money be handed out just on  the claimant's word?

If they could replace the non-medical searchers with a computer programme, presumably designed by doctors, it seems better.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    My understanding is that benefit fraud is less than 1%. Unfortunately the media may run with any story that appears 'sensationalist.'
    Whilst the term 'non-medical people' is used in this article, in the one sense if you take medical to mean Drs, that would mainly be correct. However the 'Health Care Professionals,' as far as PIP goes, are predominantly nurses with some physios or paramedics, who do have some medical understanding/background, & who would, in different circumstances, have access to a person's medical notes.
    I feel if a claimant isn't truthful they will be 'found out.' Again, as far as PIP goes, this is about a person's difficulty with their functional ability, & GPs won't know any problems a person has with dressing, bathing, cooking, using the bathroom, etc. unless a patient has said so....which is then not 'evidence' from the GP, but just what a patient may have told them.
    I don't think there's any computer algorithm that can help, even designed by Drs, who either wouldn't have the time, or perhaps such specific computer knowledge.
    Perhaps detrimental to a potential claim, as this article states, 'The DWP claim that the new system is needed as doctors don’t always explain a claimants “functional capability” and claimants don’t always give the correct information.'
    I feel that claimants don't always understand how to complete say an initial PIP claim form, & how can a GP fully explain a patients 'functional capability?'

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    I think I a lie detector test or the administration of some truth serum would sort it all out and be far less stressful imo...lol

Brightness