Complicated PIP advice needed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Complicated PIP advice needed

Options
lorutian
lorutian Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I’ll try and be concise (sorry if it still runs long) but if any one could offer help it would be very appreciated.

A bit of background: 
• I have a heart condition that causes random fainting and black outs without warning at least 2 times a week. It also means I get random spouts of tachycardia lasting hours (pulse well above 200) which make me unsteady on my feet, nauseous, dizzy and eyesight goes. These happen 3-4 times every day.
• I have agoraphobia, ptsd, anxiety and depression (these impact me by lack of motivation to dress, wash, cook, eat, generally take care of myself, or leave the house. I also can’t use telephones at all.
• I have blinding migraines that following a blood clot on the brain a few years back. These leave me bed bound for days at a time and happen ever couple of weeks or so and for the week after I’m weak and generally poorly. 

With help from my only friend (who I’ve never met in person and only speak to by messages online) I typed up my PIP application and wrote “see attached sheets” on each section because I struggle with handwriting and it was easier to work collaboratively with her. I also sent my ESA assessment report, a letter I wrote and a letter from my friend (I also explained why I don’t have much evidence because I find it too difficult to engage with medical professionals). 

Anyway, I was lucky enough to have a paper-based assessment which I believe was down to them having evidence the WCA was so traumatising for me (I won’t go into detail unless I need to?) and my friend expressing concerns as to my mental state if I did attend.

I was awarded standard care and high mobility with recommendation of review in 1 year. I scored 11 Points for care.

This is where it gets interesting/complicated. In the assessment report she says she did not receive the additional sheets where I answered the PIP2 and that the assessment is based solely on her medical knowledge, my letter and the WCA report. 
It also only awards for my physical condition as it says she can’t comment on mental health as has no information about it.

For example, washing and bathing she scored supervision due to passing out and in the explanation she writes she can’t judge regarding mental health / prompting because I didn’t fill in PIP2. This is repeated for almost every question. 

I didn’t score for engaging with others or anything social / relating to mental health which is where I should really have scored the most points. I understand this is because she had no information on it but the very fact they did it paper-based due to my distress should surely be taken into account? 

Also the 1 year review, they note that I’m due surgery for my heart conditions, so I understand why a year. But my mental health has been an issue all my life and will not be better in a year, I feel if they had taken my mental health into account it would be a longer review.

So my questions:
1- is there anything I can do about them losing my PIP2 answers? Each page had my name and NI on them and contained personal and private information. 
2 - can I appeal just the length of award?
3 - if I do appeal (MR) is it possible for me to lose what I currently have?

I don’t really care about enhanced care (although I think I meet the criteria, engaging should have been 8 points alone). Obviously the extra £30 would be handy but it’s more the principal. I feel like they have totally ignored and disregarded my mental health and as troublesome as the heart and migraines are, my mental health are by far more disabling for me. 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @lorutian

Just to let you know, I'm moving your post into the PIP, DLA, and AA category so that more of our members can find and answer your post. 

We get a lot of PIP questions here, so I'm sure someone will have some answers for you :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,039 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

Any decision can be appealed by first requesting the MR and then Tribunal if that fails. Will you lose what you already have? No one on an internet forum can answer that question because no none knows exactly how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.

To request the MR you should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

The award length can also be challenged by simply asking for a longer award and stating why you think you should have been given this.

Hope this helps. Good luck, what ever you decide.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @lorutian How are you today?

Thank you for sharing your situation with us.  I know it's not easy accessing support and I'm glad you felt this was a safe space to do so.  

It sounds like you have a lot of medical conditions to contend with that impact your day to day living and your mental health is a significant impairment.  It's not surprising you are upset by the loss of the additional paperwork and the evidence you prepared.  That would annoy the best of us and you have every right to feel the way you do.  Did you happen to keep a copy?

I hope the advice given has helped answer your questions.  Please let us know if we can do anything else to support you.

As an aside, can all members keep in mind that people arrive at our forum with varying understandings of the PIP process.  It can be confusing, anxiety-provoking and very overwhelming, therefore please respond supportively as you would expect in return :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,039 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't see anyone being anything other than supportive here or am i missing something?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Have to agree with @poppy123456 and @Username_removed I didn't see anything that was anything but helpful and supportive and to be honest far more useful than some of the drivel you read on here sometimes (that's not aimed at you @Cher_Scope) but you have to read through post after post saying yes I agree with that etc etc, its time consuming for those who actually have practical advice to offer.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @lorutian, great to have you here. :)

How are you doing today?
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.