Who was your role model? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who was your role model?

leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
I was just inking about role models and I suddenly realised that my male role models were mostly people like Randolph Scott, John Wayne, Gregory Peck and James Stewart. And yes, that caused me various problems in life because people don’t behave as they do in the films! 

In summary i probably learned more about diy etc from my mother.

Perhaps you’d like to share who your role model or models were?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
       It has to be my dad, who taught me everything i know. A very wise man who never once said " i don't know " and always had an answer for me.
      It was years later i realised he made half of it up :wink:)  He's been gone 13 years now and i still miss him every day.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I tended to follow certain people for certain things, i.e. the things that they were the expert in, rather than have a role model who I followed for every aspect of life.

For example I may use Jeremy Clarkson for driving guidance but that doesn’t mean I will follow his lead when it comes to how to act in a social situation.

Another example is maybe follow Einstein when it comes to science but not personal hygiene! :D

Rather than trying to shadow every aspect of someone’s life, if that makes sense.
  • leeCal
    Makes perfect sense @66Mustang, I probably ended up doing the same thing eventually, after those cowboys got me into trouble that is!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    My Dad who died this year was my role model growing up, he was a true gentleman, had a wicked sense of humour and family was everything to him. More and more even at the age of 61 I hear myself saying the things he would say and behaving as he would behave. Mum died 4 years ago she was someone above all others that I respected, she had a shocking childhood but rose above it to make a life for herself and her family. On Sunday their ashes will be buried next to each other in the garden of remembrance quite fitting for a couple who were married for 63 years and were truly devoted to each other, it will be a sad day and the end of an era, my one wish is that for however long i live i can be the man they made me.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    That is a wonderful testament to your late parents @woodbine, commiserations for your loss.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    thank you @leeCal
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine Lovely way to pay a tribute to your parents and I am sorry for your loss and hope that Sunday goes well 

My Dad was my role model, he was a fireman and worked at Christmas, holiday etc to help people others often at his own expense of missing family events but we all respected his choice in life. I am proud that he will have saved many lives and properties from destruction

He was also my best friend and I strived to make him proud of me.  The day he held his first grandson in his arms i could see I had achieved this

Sadly it is almost 12 years since he passed away but always remembered and never forgotten

Brightness