Advice needed please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice needed please

Pandapaws
Pandapaws Community member Posts: 489 Pioneering
Hi,
my husband can no longer work due to his disabilities, and he is now being forced into doing a job which he can’t do due to stress. During the lockdown I got him to apply for PIP and he’s been awarded standard PIP. I am also disabled not working, I’m wondering is he better to go off sick or apply for ESA? I can’t remember how it all works, have neurological problems.  My hubby can’t sleep due to the pain and stress, and we just don’t know what to do for the best. The company he works for are not very nice, and I think he’s better off leaving as he can’t do the job anymore anyway. Andy advice will be much appreciated. 
Thank you 

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I would never advise anyone to just leave any employment before considering other options. Firstly, he needs to look at claiming SSP from his employer for 28 weeks and he'll need a fit note from his GP to claim this.

Resonable adjustments should also been considered in the work place and speaking to his employer should be his first step.

Whether you'll be entitled to any Universal Credit to top up the SSP will totally depend on both of your circumstances. Do you work? use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to UC and put the SSP amounts down as well as any income from yourself.

If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you'll be excluded from claiming.

Also remember that if you're claiming tax credits then a claim for UC will end that claim and you won't ever be able to go back.

New style ESA maybe possible 3 months before his SSP ends but he'll need to have paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2017 to March 2019. He can claim 3 months before his SSP ends but he won't receive any payments until the SSP ends. He'll need his SSP1 form and fit notes from his GP to be able to claim this. It pays £74.35 per week (over 25's) for 52 weeks, unless placed into the Support Group.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pandapaws
    Thank you @poppy123456 so much for your advice, he has already spoke to work about what he can and can’t do and they don’t really care! They’re still expecting him to do the work. I’m not working due to ill health so money is going to be a worry.

• poppy123456
    You're welcome. He should still be entitled to SSP for 28 weeks, his employer can't refuse to pay him that providing he has a fit note.

Then use the benefits calculator to check entltlement to Universal Credit to top up the SSP but he'll need fit notes from his GP to start the limited capability for work work process off.

Do you claim any benefits yourself?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Pandapaws
    Ahh thank you! Yes I get pip and ESA support contribution based

• poppy123456
    I think the best thing you can do is speak to an advice agency near you for a full benefits check. They will advise you correctly based on all of your circumstances.
  • Pandapaws
    Thank you so much @poppy123456 for all your advice, I shall look into that.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.