PIP telephone assessment today — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP telephone assessment today

dragon20
dragon20 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi everyone. Im hoping you can put my mind at rest. I have fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, IBS and bulging discs in my spine. I should have had my assessment at 2pm today but they called me early this morning to see if I minded doing it earlier. I agreed and the assessment was at 12pm. The assessor was a nurse and asked me questions like do I drive? I answered yes. He asked me how often I drive and do I drive a manual or auto. I confirmed auto and that I only drive rarely. He asked me if i struggle with fatigue and what my main symptoms are. I explained as best I could. 
The assessment lasted 23 minutes. I asked at the end if he had everything he needed and he said yes and that my form had been completed well. I only sent a couple on consultant letters because I was only diagnosed in April this year. He said I should hear in 8 weeks or so.

My question is, is this normal to have only a 23 minute assessment? He didn't ask about toileting or bathing or dressing or how far I could walk etc. Im confused!

Sorry for the long post but any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

The length of the assessment doesn't mean anything at all other than they had all the information they needed and there was no further questions to ask. I've had assessments lasting 15 minutes and as long as 1 hour 15 minutes and both times i was successful.

If you live in the UK wait a week and then ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. Once you receive this look at the PIP descriptors online to compare the recommendations in the report against those descriptors to add up any possible score. Do bear in mind that the report is just a recommendation, although the mostly go with it. You'll still need to wait for a decision.

Waiting times for decision's vary depending on backlog in your area but could be anything between 2-8 weeks sometimes longer.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi hope the above post has put your mind at rest 

If you completed the form well then there isnt a lot more to ask and evidence is only any good if it tells how you are affected on daily basis 

Fingers crossed for you and let us know the outcome 
  • dragon20
    Thanks so much for your replies. Ive previously had a home assessment for my son when he turned 16 and that was very much more detailed than the one I just had. I think that was probably why I was concerned.
    I will ring in a week to ask for my report as you suggested and will let you know what happens. Thanks again
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there mind took Nearly 2 hours I have heard times are all different . I had to call up to find out I found out and received my back pay before my letter my decision was just bout 2 weeks but can take longer as poppy mentioned . Good luck xx 
  • johnnyy85
    johnnyy85 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    edited September 2020
    My telephone assessment  was just over two hours as well on Monday, now just playing the waiting game 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dragon20 and @johnnyy85

Good luck with the outcome of your PIP assessments, please let us know how you get on.

We at Scope are collecting people's views of their experience of remote benefits assessments.  If you'd like to share your thoughts feel free to complete our survey.  Thank you.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • dragon20
    Hi I hope everyone is well today? I received my report today. 8 points for daily living and 10 for mobility, assuming this isn't changed by dwp. The report is pretty much as I expected but I have a quick question. For managing medication I have scored 0 points even though my husband has to put my pills in a dosette box and remind me to take them. The assessor said that they thought I could manage my medication most of the time by myself because I order my food shop online and occasionally drive an automatic car, even though my husband has to sort my meds out  and give them to me as I cant handle the pills due to stiffness and pain in my hands and I need reminding to take my meds. Do you think its worth writing to the decision maker or not? I'm ok with what I hope will turn out to be standard levels for both but I'm thinking about future pip reviews and making sure the information is correct.  Sorry for the long winded post.
  • janer1967
    Hi you need to wait for the decision first as the DM may award you points 

Once you have this you could then put in a MR but you would need 4 more points to get a higher award so it's up to you if you think you would get them 

It's good your report indicates an award though 
  • poppy123456
    For the medication part you would only score an extra 1 point for needing assisstance from your husband. If you scored 8 points then this wouldn't be enough for an Enhanced daily liviing because your total points would be 9.

If they go with the report and mostly they do then requesting the MR for the 1 extra point will be totally pointless. The time to think about that will be at your review.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cupcake88
    Hi there I only scored 1 point on that question too they didn’t count my nurse calling me as therapy . My partner has to remind me to take my medication and set alarms on my phone and also call me . I often miss my nurses phone calls . 

You might score more so you never know . 
     Sending you good luck 
  • poppy123456
    cupcake88 said:

You might score more so you never know . 
     Sending you good luck 
    For activity 3 managing or monitoring a health condition. If assistance/aids or appliances are needed for medication then it's 1 point.

• cupcake88
    @poppy123456 your so great and so helpful poppy im really greatful for all your amazing pip advice x 
  • dragon20
    Just a quick query. On the bathing question I said that I cant get in or out of the bath on my own. I have been awarded 2 points on the assessment for needing help to wash. The assessor has said that because I can occasionally drive an automatic car and use the internet to order food shopping I have enough dexterity to get in and out the bath myself. I havent. He said I was at risk of a fall but said I could manage. Do I write to the DM as no decision has been made yet? Thanks
  • janer1967
    Hi @dragon20 you need to wait for the decision you cant do anything until you get your award letter and see then if you had scored more points would this gave given s higher award or would it still be the same 

• cupcake88
    I know it’s hard I was exactly the same ask any one on the forum I was freaking out I was panicked I wanted to prepare my self for the worst Also but I got my pip which is great and I’m sure you will do too . 

My decision maker didn’t go completely with my report so you never know . 
  • cupcake88
    Good luck please keep us updated 
  • dragon20
    Thanks everyone. I would be happy with 8 points for care if that's what I end up with. Im just concerned that some of the comments he made aren't accurate at all. He said that I drive to my mums. I dont, she lives four houses down from me and she comes to see me. He said I'm at risk of falls and can't prepare a meal due to pain and stiffness but gave me 2 points for needing assistance to prepare a meal. Its all so confusing. I will do as you all suggest and wait and see. Thanks again everyone.
  • poppy123456
    dragon20 said:
    Just a quick query. On the bathing question I said that I cant get in or out of the bath on my own. I have been awarded 2 points on the assessment for needing help to wash.
    Just so that you're aware. Needing assistance to get in and out of the bath will score 3 points, so 1 point more than what is recommended by the HCP for needing help to wash.

Once the decision is made if you're not happy then you should only request the MR if you can score enough points for a higher award.

Also bear in mind that the report is just a recommendation, not the actual decision. Although they mostly go with the report.
  • Martine29_hotmailcou
    Martine29_hotmailcou Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I put my claim form in sept 22 had my telephone assessment 22nd Dec 22 and now I've to have a 2nd telephone assessment this month. Has this been the same for anyone else? 
  • poppy123456
    I put my claim form in sept 22 had my telephone assessment 22nd Dec 22 and now I've to have a 2nd telephone assessment this month. Has this been the same for anyone else? 
    It's rare for this to happen. Have you asked why you need another assessment? If not then i'd advise you to ring them to ask.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.