PIP Paper Based Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Paper Based Assessment

TheFutureEmbrace
TheFutureEmbrace Community member Posts: 32 Connected
Hi everyone, I'm new here.
Just looking for some feedback really.

I applied for PIP for my partner in July, sent the form off in September with a letter from a mental health nurse attached explaining about my partners severe OCD and a anxiety.
Had a call on 1st October from a lovely lady saying that she had all the evidence she needs from the application form and nurse's letter to make a paper based assessment.
My girlfriend is unable to use the phone so that was also a factor she said.
She said that the form was filled out well enough with enough information and she just needed to ask a few follow up questions.

The phone call lasted about 15 minutes and she made it seem very likely that we would be awarded.

She said the next step is sending the report to the decision maker and she didn't know how long that would take.

I'm just wandering if there is rough timescale on the assessor's report getting to a decision maker and then the time it takes the decision to be made.

Also, how likely is it for the decision maker to go against the report and deny the application, ehen the report seems to be in her favour.

I've been getting the texts keeping me updated on the process of the claim so I imagine I will get a text when the decision maker receives the report?

Thanks so much for your help in adcance.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Timescales for decisions? There isn't any, backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed. Some wait between 2-8 weeks, others wait longer.

They mostly go with the report, although it has been known for them to go against it, it's rare.

It sounds like you've received a copy of the report. Have you added up the recommended points in there? If not then use the PIP descriptors online to see what score, if any is recommended.

Other than that all you can do is wait. If it's a first time claim and you're not transferring from DLA then payment usually goes into your bank before the decision letter is received.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @TheFutureEmbrace welcome to our online community and I'm glad to hear you've had a relatively positive experience so far claiming PIP.  

Good luck to your girlfriend and please let us know how you get on  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    HI, thanks for getting back to me.

No i haven't received a copy of the report, I was merely going off how encouraging the assessor on the phone was.
    I asked about chances of being awarded, trying to probe her for information, and she said its based on how restricted the person is and that my partner was very restricted in her day to day life. Those were her words pretty much.

I was under the impression that I wouldn't be able to ask for a copy of the report until the decision maker had received it, is that correct? Or could I ask before I get the text saying they had received it?
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    @Cher_Scope Thanks for the encouragement.
    The waiting is so stressful.
    I'm hoping to get a copy of the report soon but I'm not sure when I can ask for it.
  • poppy123456
    If you live in the UK you can ring DWP to request a copy of the report (or your girlfriend) to be sent out to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the recommendations in there. You'll still need to wait for the decision though. The number to ring is 0800 121 4433

The reason the assessor couldn't tell you whether there will be an award is because they don't make decisions, only recommendations.

If you live in N. Ireland then you'll need to wait for the decision before requesting the report.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    @poppy123456 Okay thank you ao much I'll call in the morning, I remember reading somewhere that its easier to get through in the mornings.
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2020
    You're welcome. Yes, it can be easier to get through when they first open. Although you could also be waiting for up to an hour. They open between 9 and 5.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there I also have anxiety ocd  as well as ptsd pychosis . I recieved my pip first time so I hope your Partner does as well . I had a phone assessment my partner had to support me for the phone call . I’m glad she can have a paper assessment all the best and let us know how your partner gets on 
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    @cupidpsyche Hi thanks for your feedback and support.

May I ask how long it took for your decision to come through once you had had the assessment?
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there I actually received my back pay before my decision letter I rang them up after 2 weeks they told me on phone I had been accepted . 
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    Hi just a quick update I rang PIP uo and they said they haven't received the report yet and to ring back in about a week.

More waiting, but I'm getting used to it by now aha.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome sorry you are waiting but unfortunately that is what it is 

I hope your girlfriend gets a successful result fingers crossed for you 
  • poppy123456
    They don't always send the report back straight away. Sometimes they are sent to audit, which can delay the process of returning it to DWP. It doesn't mean anything bad if it has been chosen for audit, it just means the HCP being being checked. You can ring the health assessment providers to ask what's happening and if a paper based assessment has been completed or the report is in audit they will tell you.
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    @poppy123456 What is HCP, health care provider?
    Does that mean they are ringing up our GP or checking the evidence ee provided from the mental health nurse with her?
    Is ir possible its taking a while and isn't being sent to audit.
    An audit sounds a little bit concerning.
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    @How would I go about contacting the health assessment providers?
  • BAF
    BAF Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi do you mean the health assessment advisers about sickness benefits ? I have the number of that is what you mean as I have rang them in the past
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    @poppy123456 I'm not even sure who the company are that conduct the assessments for the DWP.
    Is is Capita or someone like that?

• TheFutureEmbrace
    @BAF Is that the same as the one for PIP? I'm not sure.
  • BAF
    @TheFutureEmbrace
    I have 2 numbers on letters from the health assessment advisers advisory service where you go for medical for pip 0800 288 8777 and says was aswel
  • BAF
    @TheFutureEmbrace meant to say pip and esa aswel  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.