TAX QUESTION — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

TAX QUESTION

samfits99
samfits99 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
Hi everyone , not PIP related but thought I would ask you lovely bunch. is it possible to not pay TAX or NI? If your on a low wage, even if it's one of them you don't have to pay. I just thought I would query it and ask. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Everybody has a tax free allowance of £12,500 per tax year, you pay class1 N.I on earnings between £182 a week and £962 @12%. As an employee it is impossible not to pay tax or n.i if you earn over the allowances.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    If the person is over state pension age then the following info applies

https://www.gov.uk/tax-national-insurance-after-state-pension-age

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    leeCal said:
    If the person is over state pension age then the following info applies

https://www.gov.uk/tax-national-insurance-after-state-pension-age

I never thought that he would be over 66  B)

• samfits99
    samfits99 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    @woodbine @leeCal I get £300 every week after tax. Some weeks I get £290 a week but it's never less that £275 a week. so how does that stand? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    samfits99 said:
    @woodbine @leeCal I get £300 every week after tax. Some weeks I get £290 a week but it's never less that £275 a week. so how does that stand? 

Not sure what you mean by your question because you're already paying tax on your earnings because you just said you don't earn any less than £275 per week. Tax and NI is deducted from your earnings, so there's no need to do anything.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    edited October 2020
    samfits99 said:
    so which is it ? £300 every week or some weeks less? i'm confused
    If your gross wage remains the same every week your net wage should also remain the same

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.