What are the reasons for which you have been denied PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are the reasons for which you have been denied PIP?

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA

What are the reasons for which you have been denied PIP?

Our Campaigns team would like to hear from you to support our We Won't Be Forgotten campaign. 

Please comment below with your stories from the last year – trying to keep your answer as short and snappy as possible. Answers will be shared anonymously on Scope’s social media channels to help promote our campaign. This is to support our current action to email your MP our Welfare Guide, and make sure MPs commit to our key changes to improve the welfare system.

Take action 

If you’d like to share more details about your experiences of the welfare system, and potentially become a storyteller, please take action.

Thank you :) 
Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Has a driving licence

Didn't look anxious

Arrived for assessment alone
  • Ross_Alumni
    Thanks for sharing @OverlyAnxious

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • captainrick
    captainrick Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I had full flat for life as Addison’s disease is a life long condition especially when you do not have a pituitary gland in your brain, did my PIP assessment and they downgraded me careers allowance as I missed the mobility by 2 points. Even though I use a wheel chair have full time use of 2 specially made crutches and have spine surgery every 12 months. They said that because I could drive to the assessment (in a fully automatic) car, I did not qualify. I am not allowed to use buses or trains as I am 45 and my dr’s have aged my spine around 80 years old. Oh and by the way an ambulance driver did my assessment 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    I had full flat for life as Addison’s disease is a life long condition especially when you do not have a pituitary gland in your brain, did my PIP assessment and they downgraded me careers allowance as I missed the mobility by 2 points. Even though I use a wheel chair have full time use of 2 specially made crutches and have spine surgery every 12 months. They said that because I could drive to the assessment (in a fully automatic) car, I did not qualify. I am not allowed to use buses or trains as I am 45 and my dr’s have aged my spine around 80 years old. Oh and by the way an ambulance driver did my assessment 

HI and welcome,

Carers allowance isn't part of PIP, it's a completely different benefit. Someone can claim carers allowance for looking after you and you must be claiming the daily living part of PIP, not the mobility part.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Welliboots93
    Welliboots93 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Goes to university so must be able to get dressed 

Didn't sound anxious 

Was able to remember what is wrong with me 

Doesnt have any diagnosis of learning difficulties (I was applying based on my mobility and anxiety) 

Doesnt always takes meds so pain mustn't be bad (I need prompting to take my meds and I made that clear haha) 

• Ross_Alumni
    Thanks again to those who have shared so far :) 

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    A bit off topic but I was told “you claimed to have difficulty moving around but were found to have adequate upper and lower limb function”.

I never claimed to have difficulty moving around..? :/

(I still got my PIP on the correct mental health grounds that I was applying on though after MR.)

I think this is kind of relevant as it shows someone somewhere perhaps didn’t read or listen to something properly.

PS came across this looking for reptile pictures but none in here :D
  • lizjessie
    lizjessie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    The PIP assessors seam to put down the same comments for everyone .. whatever their disability, we don't all fit into the little boxes they base the questions on! :smile:

• Ross_Alumni
    Thanks for your responses @66Mustang and @lizjessie :) 

• countrycreature
    countrycreature Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    66Mustang said:
    A bit off topic but I was told “you claimed to have difficulty moving around but were found to have adequate upper and lower limb function”.

my decision letter stated the exact same (though i do ahve mobility issues)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Thanks for your contribution @countrycreature :) 

• countrycreature
    countrycreature Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Has a driving licence

Didn't look anxious

Arrived for assessment alone
    did you appeal? how did you get round the driving part. It's a bit confusing. I have been rejected with being able to drive also given as one of the reasons but i dont understand how that can be an issue when plenty people in reciept of pip drive .... ?
  • Heathermcb
    Heathermcb Community member Posts: 1 Connected
    I had eye contact
    I could walk into the room with a walking stick...(I was slowly hobbling in!)
    I could get up and sit down...(with the help of my walking stick and the arm of the chair)

Based on the above,I could walk over 200mtrs repeatedly
    I could talk in sentences :open_mouth:
    I could focus on the questions being asked of me!What was I supposed to do focus on what was out the window?
    There was a lot more they wrote which was untrue as well.

Unbelievable how they get away with writing these lies.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I have to admit that when my change from DLA to PIP was done the assessment was both fair and reasonable and I ended up getting £40 per week more, thats not to say that when my review is done it will be all plain sailing it might it might not.
    However it should be noted that we read a lot on the internet about bad decisions and less about good ones and yet there are far more good than bad overall.
    PIP isn't perfect but too many people fail to realise that it is different than DLA.
    Just thought I'd throw a bit of balance into the mix.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• bishop1967
    bishop1967 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    I have kidney failure and attend hospital 3 times a week 4 hours a time  for dialysis I struggle to do day to day activity. They rejected my PIP and told me am fine on the days I don’t do dialysis ?‍♂️
  • PatchG
    PatchG Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    Assessment by phone, assessor wrote different answers to the ones I gave, she also knew nothing about cluster headaches, decided as I don't have them for 4 to 5 months of the year that it over rides the minimum 7 months that I have them daily, plus hemicrania on top every single day.
    Basically she lied, when I asked for it to be looked at again they took away the small amount of money I had been awarded, out of pure spite imo, for challenging them. 
    And now I have cancer which will take me out they are probably high fiving each other for the extra stress and poverty they have caused me. They are pure evil. Thats why so many are put through this hell. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    @PatchG have you re-applied for pip under special rules? I really doubt that anyone at the DWP has been high fiving anyone.
    https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/help/support/benefits-entitlements/living-with-terminal-illness/personal-independence-payment
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• PatchG
    Worth reiterating that the job of the HCP is not to repeat what you say but to make an independent assessment of all the evidence having heard what you say. Not the same thing and certainly not evidence of lying.
    She lied. Blatant outright lies. She didn't assess what I said, she omitted some altogether and put things I never said myself, yes, she made some things up. I have the recording...
  • PatchG
    woodbine said:
    @PatchG have you re-applied for pip under special rules? I really doubt that anyone at the DWP has been high fiving anyone.
    https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/help/support/benefits-entitlements/living-with-terminal-illness/personal-independence-payment
    Hi, not at this point. The tribunal by phone was yesterday, cab said to get that out of the way before dealing with anything else.
    I don't know time scale as I instructed oncologist to not tell me, I can't cope with knowing it. It's hard enough trying not to count down passing days, so I will get nothing basically ?
  • Kettles
    Kettles Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    PatchG said:
    Worth reiterating that the job of the HCP is not to repeat what you say but to make an independent assessment of all the evidence having heard what you say. Not the same thing and certainly not evidence of lying.
    She lied. Blatant outright lies. She didn't assess what I said, she omitted some altogether and put things I never said myself, yes, she made some things up. I have the recording...
    I’m not saying the HCP didn’t lie. I’m saying that it’s not their job to write down everything you say. It’s their job to form an opinion and that will include writing down things did not say precisely because it’s their opinion. Having a recording will not help you because the people doing the MR and indeed an appeal tribunal will not have the means to listen to it. They’re not going to take your word on a written transcription because you could edit that as you wished. It’s useful for remembering what took place but no more than that. 

Accusing them of lying will not help as it’s not something you can prove legally, You can prove they omitted, misrecorded or misinterpreted but you can’t get inside their heads and demonstrate their motivation.

It’s been says many times on here that focus of your challenge needs to be the strength of your evidence rather than the weakness of theirs. Proving a HCP wrong will not get you PIP if your evidence is not itself sufficiently strong. 
    I have to agree with the poster above. My husband was convinced the HCP was lying, but on the bundle that came for the tribunal, and when I examined the file in full, there were some misrepresentations, such as Mr Kettles would be able to get in and out of the bath unaided. Now we don't have a bath, only a wet room, he was convinced the HCP was lying. But, it was her opinion based on what was presented to her. On reflection, it is true. 

This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.