Flu jab — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Flu jab

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
Have you had your flu jab yet this year? I had mine at the village chemist this morning, i've had one every year for around 18 years now. It is of course more important than ever this year to have one as soon as you can, if you don't qualify for a free one then you can pay around £10 at many chemist to have it. Far better in these challenging times than having flu.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    @woodbine Not yet.  My GP was found to be operating an unsafe practice.  This covers many of our surgeries in Medway.  Boots are waiting for more supplies.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Yep I've had mine!  I've heard many people around the UK are struggling to get booked for one because of a national shortage mind.  Has anyone else experienced this?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    Apparently far more people than usual are having (or trying to have ) the flu jab this year, meaning there is a shortage.

• bigjock123
    bigjock123 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    I had mine 3 weeks ago  when i went to my surgery for my diabetic check.
  • OMR
    OMR Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I am a housebound patient with various problems and got a text from my GP a month ago asking me why I hadn't registered for my jab as I was clinically vulnerable. After about 45 minutes of navigating the phone system I got through to a receptionist who told me I wasn't allowed as I wasn't 65 yet. I asked why I had been sent a text requesting me to contact them and she said it was an error and to ring mid October if I hadn't got a letter. I got another text a week later so went through the same procedure and someone else was even more rude. I then waited until mid October and again the same problem but this time was told they have run out of vaccine and no idea when I will get the jab. As I have multiple problems, most pharmacists won't touch me as I have found in the past. I have booked for one this weekend but only time will tell.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @OMR Oh what a nightmare.  I'm sorry you experienced such unhelpful attitudes at your GP surgery.  Fingers crossed for them getting more stock asap.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I had my first ever flu jab on Tuesday. I'll admit that I was against the flu jab for years due to 2 family members claiming that they had the flu after getting the flu jab. However, as I'm pregnant I am not taking any risks and will do whatever needs to be done to protect my baby and myself.

My mum contacted our surgery and left a message for the nurse who would be doing my B12 jab, asking if it is safe to have both b12 and the flu jab on the same day. When the nurse came out to our car to do my b12 jab, she had a flu jab with her aswell so had them there and then.

Not going to lie, I was absolutely petrified of having the jab incase I had any side effects. Touchwood, no side effects at all.

From a huge skeptic... I definitely recommend having the flu jab :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • woodbine
    I've had flu jabs for 18 years and the worst side effect has been a slightly sore arm for 24 hours, I have never heard of somebody having flu as a result of the jab !

• Ami2301
    I always thought it was odd whenever they talked about their experience with the flu jab... mind you, I'm gullible and will believe anything.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ami2301, it takes roughly two weeks after the jab for the antibodies to build up in the body, so it is possible to catch the flu in this period. 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Ami2301
    Thats what I thought, thanks @Geoark :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    And while those antibodies are building, your immune system is weakened so you're more likely to catch a cold which people often mistake for flu.

I have a few relatives, and their friends, who often get a reaction after a flu jab.  From cold type symptoms right through to fatigue and nausea etc.  Might just be coincidence but it does seem odd...

I can't deal with needles myself, let alone the possibility of any side effects.  But I also can't cope with flu, so have been socially distancing every winter even before Covid!  The only place I have the potential to get it is at a weekly supermarket shop, but I hope that this year that risk is also reduced thanks to the Covid measures...
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I have only had the flu jab once and never again even though clinically I should have it.

The once I had it I got the worst case of flu I have ever had in my life and felt the effects for a few months after and my Mum was the same
    #
    Im not saying to anyone font have it but its not for me
  • woodbine
    It is like everything personal choice, but it should remembered that flu can be a killer.

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I declined mine. I know the jab is in short supply this year and I think mine should go to someone who needs it more than I do!

Brightness