appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

appeal

sue2468
sue2468 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hi, i recently applied for pip and was turned down , i sent a mandatory reconsideration notice , which was also turned down , the reason for claim was i use a cpap machine at night , and also have lymphedema, i must use this machine daily , i have a habit of pulling it off during the night , which then causes me to stop breathing , my hubby wakes me several times a night to tell me to replace the mask , pip have said i have nothing wrong with my arms and i can do the adjustments myself lol , even though im asleep and dont know ive removed it , is it worth going to appeal

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome sorry to hear your claim wasnt successful 

From what I understand PIP doesn't take into account your night time use of CPAP it only looks at your daily living activities against the set descriptors which doesn't include this 

I am sure others will advise also but it is up to you if you appeal 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Janer is correct, PIP isn't about the night time. It's how you're affected against the PIP descriptors for at least 50% of the time over a 12 month period. Whether you're entitled to anything will totally depend on how your conditions affect you and no one on an internet forum can tell you this.

If you can put the CPAP machine on yourself and take it off then you won't score any points for this in any of the activities.

If you think you'll score enough of points in the descriptors for an award then yes take it to Tribunal, otherwise no because there will be no point at all.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @sue2468 :) I hope the above advice has been helpful?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sue2468 - & welcome to the community from me too. As mentioned above, PIP is about activities of daily living (not including night time) &/mobility. If you haven't looked at the activities/descriptors that PIP is about, it might be worth having a look at the following link. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    Having a good read through this may help you decide whether or not it's worth pursuing taking this to a tribunal. Hope this also may help, & let us know if you have any questions. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.