Would you like to go to a spa? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would you like to go to a spa?

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
It's National Spa Week this week. This is usually a time for those in the spa and beauty industries to run special offers and encourage people to visit their facilities. However, of course, this year is a little different as spas and other non-essential businesses have been forced to close for the time being.

2020 has been a stressful year for most of us in a number of different ways. It's therefore more important than ever that we all take some time to do the things that help us to relax and unwind.

For some, this may be doing spa-like treatments at home such as:
  • Getting a massage from a loved one or electric massager
  • Putting on a face mask - the cucumber kind, not the Covid kind!
  • Doing your nails
  • Taking a relaxing bath
womans back being massaged with oil

But others (like me!) aren't necessarily too keen on these kinds of activities. I do use my housemate's electric back massager on occasion, but pampering isn't really my thing. I tend to find other activities more relaxing, such as:
  • Having a hot shower
  • Watching TV in my pyjamas
  • Doing sudoku
  • Listening to music
I also find that exercising and cleaning both make me feel a lot more relaxed, even though I don't always enjoy doing them at the time :D 

Will you be going to the spa when they reopen? What do you do to relax? Do you have any top tips for things we can all do at home to unwind? 
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Comments

• RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    Hi @Tori_Scope,

I agree with a lot of the things that you have said. Going to a spa has never appealed to me. I would also feel very self conscious about going to a spa.

I also find doing cleaning and tidying up relaxing. 

I have been watching Tidying Up with Marie Kondo on Netflix so whilst I am limited to how much I can do due to my disability, I have managed to pick up some really good tips about how to tidy up? I should say in case you have watched the programme that I am not untidy and the examples in the programme are quite extreme. 

An interesting part of the episodes was the emotional side of people deciding on what to keep as each episode is very different. I hadn’t come across Marie Kondo before watching the programme but I have since watched quite a few of her videos on YouTube. 

I am not a psychologist however, an interesting part of her methods is that by tidying up it could help to improve one’s wellbeing. I have certainly found that once I have finished tidying up a room it does make me feel better. I have never been really good at folding things but I have found that by using her methods it has been therapeutic and has created more space. 

I also find reading a book or watching an archaeology programme relaxing. I have a back, neck and shoulder massager which helps along with a heat pad which is like a cape.

I also find gardening relaxing.
  • Tori_Scope
    I've watched a bit of Tidying Up with Marie Kondo too @RAwarrior. I definitely agree with you that tidying can improve wellbeing. I find getting started the hardest bit, so I tend to put it off and it always makes me feel worse. 

I can also get attached to silly things that I should get rid of, but I'm working on it! I'm definitely not as bad as I used to be. 

Reading is another good one, and your heated shoulder massager sounds amazing! Does it help with pain relief? 

I don't have a garden, but I know that my Dad finds gardening helps him to unwind too. What's your favourite thing about your garden? 

• RAwarrior
    Hi @Tori_Scope,

I found that after watching Marie Kondo tidying up t-shirts was therapeutic?

I agree with you about actually getting started as it can be quite difficult. I also have to do it when I am not really fatigued. I can have bursts of energy when I can get a lot done. However, once I get started it makes me feel better. I tidied up my books recently and it looks so much better? 

The back massager is a Shiatsu massager and it actually hurt when I first started using it because it feels like someone is massaging your back so I would check to see if it is suitable because it might not be suitable for everyone. It does help me as I get occasional back pain which I think is caused by my bad posture.

The heat pad is like a cape which just heats up and has different settings. 

I bought both from Amazon so you can have a look on there if you like?

I also use a cold pack when my knee is really bad. It is one of those packs with blue liquid which you put in the freezer and it goes into a sleeve to protect the skin from getting burned. I then use a knee support to hold it in place. I bought it in Boots.

I have bought some mindfulness books about using nature  to improve wellbeing and mindfulness through gardening.

I also have some books about Forest Therapy to help with my wellbeing. 

As you can see I like reading and the book I am reading about Forest Therapy is very interesting.

As you know I enjoy being outside so even going to the park really helps.

I think the best thing about my garden is seeing it once I have finished planting something or growing something from seeds which can be quite difficult. I created a herb garden during the first lockdown and I was really pleased with the results?
    Gardening is very difficult for me but I really enjoy it.
  • RAwarrior
    Hi @Tori_Scope,

I also find visiting my little squirrel friends relaxing and I would rather see them than go to a spa??

I have posted some more photos?

One of the books I have been reading is called Into Nature and it contains different mindfulness projects related to nature?
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I wouldn’t mind going to a spa now I’m older, I quite like the idea.

Years ago I’d find it relaxing to take the dog for a walk and perhaps play catch with it. Certainly takes your mind off things when you watch what fun the dog is having with such a simple game. And of course stroking an animal is known to reduce blood pressure and stress levels...not a predator though! ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    You'll have to book yourself for a post-lockdown spa session @leeCal

I wish I had a furry friend :( Do you have a pet at the moment? 

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    No @Tori_Scope we don’t have any pets at the moment. Some years ago I had an Alsatian and a cross breed sheepdog and we had great fun playing around. I must admit I didn’t always want to go walkies but it was good for them and me. In fact they pulled so hard between them that often I’d take them out one at a time. 

Im not sure that we’ll ever have another dog, I think the chances are we won’t which I find quite sad really. ☹️

If you dont don’t have much space some people say a pet rat is excellent fun and company, very clever little things?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    That is sad but, as you say, you could always try another pet @leeCal? Cats are reasonably low maintenance. We had a rabbit growing up and he was great too, and stayed outside most of the time.

My friend used to have rats and they were really clever and friendly! I'm limited with space, but my landlord also doesn't allow pets unfortunately. I'd love to get some pets one day though. 

• Tori_Scope
    Mm organised books and CDs are so satisfying @rawarrior. I think the electric massager my housemate has is similar to that. It definitely hurts at first when it's getting the knots out!

The books sound great. There are apps for mindfulness too. 

We all know you love your squirrels :D Linking that with the mindfulness is a really good idea.

• RAwarrior
    Hi @Tori_Scope,

The massager definitely hurts at first because it does feel like someone is getting the knots out.

The book is really good and also includes quotes to encourage us. Two examples are:

”The sky says stay open to what arises. Tomorrow always brings a new day.”

”The tree says bend with the wind. Learn to let go. Trust your strength.”

I can certainly relate to both of those quotes because they are both things which I have to work on.
  • Tori_Scope
    Great quotes, thanks for sharing @RAwarrior :) 

• RAwarrior
    Hi @Tori_Scope,

You’re welcome?

There are so many  other quotes which I think relate to me including:

”The ocean says storms always pass. Don’t fight the current”

A really good one which I interpret is for me to stay away from people who try to harm me and to do things which actually help me is:

”The flower says bloom where you are planted. Reach for what nourishes you.”

I might be wrong in my interpretation, however, I read it as focusing on things which make me happy for example spending time outside with the squirrels. 

The first two quotes will hopefully inspire me to look forward and to believe that I have the strength to do so. I have to pick myself up and put myself back together again because of all the problems I have been having. 

After being bullied at work I lost my confidence and felt weak. However, whilst it will take time to get my mental strength back, I can use the exercises in the book to find other ways of improving my mental health. As you know I really enjoy spending time outside so I need to use that for my benefit because many other things haven’t worked so at least it should be a more enjoyable way of improving my wellbeing.?
  • Tori_Scope
    Yeah it's important to interpret these things however you want @RAwarrior. I think that's a good interpretation and it sounds like you've learnt some really important lessons already :) 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I have been to a spa several times and had treatments too like massage, facials , manicures and pedicures 

I dont like saunas or steam rooms. I once had a gift of a spa day followed by afternoon tea which was lovely . A day lazing round the pool and jacuzzi, with a facial and then afternoon tea 

I have a nice hot bubble bath to relax with music playing and a little glass of the old vino  
  • Tori_Scope
    A day lazing round the pool and jacuzzi, with a facial and then afternoon tea 

Now that sounds like a relaxing day @janer1967! I've been in a sauna once because my Dad had a voucher and I didn't mind it although it was a bit, if you'll excuse the obviousness of this statement, too hot. 

I'm not a bath lover, but I'm with you on the other two! Thanks for sharing.

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    edited November 2020
    Hi @Tori_Scope
                               How are you? I've been fortunate enough to go for a spa weekend which was lovely, however I wouldn't neccessarily choose it as something which relaxes me. I would say listening to music is the the thing that relaxes me the most but other things include playing on the playstation and as you have said exercising. Please may I ask, what exercise do you enjoy the most? Thank you
  • Tori_Scope
    edited November 2020
    I'm fine thanks @WestHam06, how about you? 

What games do you like to play on the Playstation? I've been debating buying a second hand XBox to keep me occupied over the coming months, as I used to enjoy playing when I was younger.

I'm not doing a great deal of exercise at the moment :grimace:, but I've been enjoying going for walks on my own and with my housemates. It's a relaxing way of getting out and about, whilst getting a bit of exercise in. 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I would recommend a second hand PlayStation instead Tori :D 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I would recommend a second hand PlayStation instead Tori :D 
    Xbox is better, and would probably be considerably cheaper :D 
  • Tori_Scope
    edited November 2020
    Oh no @MrAllen1976 @Ross_Scope, what have I started! :D 

I grew up playing XBox, not Playstation, so that's the main reason why. My housemate is encouraging me to buy a Switch now as well.

Brightness