Hi, im sonia78! Has anyone been awarded PIP for mental health issues? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, im sonia78! Has anyone been awarded PIP for mental health issues?

sonia78
sonia78 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
edited November 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Has Anyone awarded PIP for depression and anxiety,
I tested myself online and it comes up a score of 18
Would really appriciate it if anyone can share their experience

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Lots of people claim PIP for the way these conditions affect them but you can't compare 2 people because we are all affected differently by these conditions.

It's easy to look at the descriptors and to score yourself points where it may not be possible to score them, likewise, it's easy to look at them and underscore yourself.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome there are plenty of people get PIP for depression and anxiety but as poppy has said it is about how your condition affects your daily living and everyone is different 

Good luck if you decide to claim and if you have any questions just ask 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    I was awarded standard rate daily living for anxiety and depression.
    I was worried about applying as I'm the carer of a son with various medical problems and although I neglect myself etc I figured they'd think if I'm looking after him I must be able to look after myself.
    Fortunately, my assessment went well and I was awarded until I think April 23...which was a pleasant surprise and relief...I'd thought with first time application and fir mental health I'd be awarded for just 12 months.

• sonia78
    Thank you all for a quick reply,
    I have been suffering from Depression and anxiety for years and was diagnosed 3 years ago, most of the days I just cannot get out of bed and cook for myself and the kids so my mom comes around and encourages me to cook helps me out on a day to day basis and checks on up on me literally everyday plus to always reminds me of taking my meds and makes sure I’ve had it,
    I’ve always thought pip is for people who are physically disabled and never applied for anything but now reading online it’s a relief to know mental health is in the category,

so does that mean IF I get awared it will be for a year?
  • poppy123456
    sonia78 said:

so does that mean IF I get awared it will be for a year?
    No, it totally depends on how your conditions affect you. The shortest award you can be given is 9 months. The longest award is 10 years with a light touch review.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sonia78
    That’s good to know but it’s so scary applying as they might ask why I didn’t apply before when the fact is I really never thought I’ll get anything with depression and anxiety
  • poppy123456
    I'm not sure why you think they would ask that. Whether a person claims for a disability benefit is entirely their decision. DWP are not going to start asking questions about why they didn't apply before lol. If you do get awarded then it's paid from the date you first rang to start your claim.

If you do decide to apply when you receive the forms you need to fill them out with as much relevant information as possible about how your conditions affect you. You should also add a couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Adding who was with you, where you wewre and exactly what happened.

Remember, it's your responsibility to prove you qualify, not their's. They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence, it's your responsibility to make sure it's sent with your form and the best evidence you can send is your ancedotal evidence. Medical evidence is only useful if it states exactly how your conditions affect you and most evidence only states the basics like diagnosis, medication and recent appointments etc.

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to our online community @sonia78 I hope you are well this Friday.

I hope the responses you have received helped to reassure any concerns you had about applying for PIP.  As you can see, many people do claim PIP successfully for mental health issues such as anxiety and depression.  

I'm moved your post over to our PIP, DLA and AA discussion board and please be sure to ask any more questions you might have about the application process :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • sonia78
    Thank you so so much for replying this forum is a life changer, I’m going to ring up and apply today, I will let you know either way the outcome or if I need any kind of help
    thank you 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sonia78 - & welcome to the community from me too. As well as the great information you have already received, you might find the following link useful to refer to when filling out your PIP claim form. Please see: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/
    This gives additional guidance for those that have mental health issues, so I hope you may find it helpful. Please do say if you have any questions when completing your form. Don't try & do too much at once, & you can ring the DWP & ask for extra time if needed, & another 14 days is given. :)
  • sonia78
    Thank you ever so much 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sonia78! Welcome to the community. I'm glad you've been able to get some really useful information here.

Please do let us know how you get on today :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck @sonia78 ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• sonia78
    I have phoned  and applied today, should recieve the how the disability effects you form and keep you guys updated through the process
    ?
  • poppy123456
    Did you have a look at the PIP2 example link that i posted above? It will be worth you starting the form using sheets of paper, this will give you an advantage of time when you do actually receive the forms, which could be anything up to 10 working days. Make sure you add your name and NI number to everything.
  • sonia78
    it will definitely give me an advantage of time,
    will start on it later on today
    Thank you so much
  • sonia78
    After reading the PIP2 I’ve realised that some questions will be answered with some details which is understandable, but if I am honest I do have a problem with wording,
    Who can help me filling out a form if no relative or anyone is around 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    There is no right or wrong wording just say it as it is 

You may get help from CAB or welfare rights but will only be over phone 
  • sonia78
    Yeah I will try to put everything how it is, I will also try to find out who is available incase I get stuck
  • poppy123456
    Anecdotal evidence will always be the best you can ever send. A couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Adding who was with you, where you were and a detailed explanation of exactly what happened.

Janer is correct, there's no specific wording that you should use and you are the best person to fill out the form because you are the only one that knows exactly how your conditions affect you.

I always find doing a little at a time each day is helpful. Medical evidence is not really needed but if you do send it then make sure you read everything before you send it, making sure there's no contradictions in each piece of evidence. Remember, less is very often more and sending huge amounts of evidence is not helpful and it most likely won't all be read. It's pointless sending multiple pieces if they all say exactly the same thing.

A successful claim can potentially take several months.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.