Hi, I'm nickykelly123! I'm worried about my granddaughter, has anyone experienced something similar? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm nickykelly123! I'm worried about my granddaughter, has anyone experienced something similar?

Options
nickykelly123
nickykelly123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello. Can put tell !e why my granddaughter is not listening to anything we say to her. She rocks on her chair in class at school will not concentrate on the work . She keeps turning round and trying to get the attention of other children. She has a helper and they've said she doesn't want to concentrate. She has !missed a lot of schooling and seems very behind and she has sterted a new school as my daughter has moveder to a  new area and she doesn't like the school. She wanted to back to her old school. Children will not lay with her and she has started wetting herself in school amd is happening quite a lot. When she co!ed here to !u house she does it too and yet she doesn't do it with her mom . She says she wishes she was a baby again  . Any ideas as to what could be going on

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

It sounds like there's a lot going on here for your granddaughter. The current situation with Covid doesn't really help matters and it's affected so many people, including children. All school children have lost a lot of school in the last several months because they were all closed for so long during the first lockdown and for almost all of the summer months.

All of this and changing schools as well has most likely made her even worse.

Has her parents spoke to her teacher? If they haven't then they need to do this as soon as possible and really should have been the first thing they did. My advice is to also speak to her GP who will be able to give them more advice regarding her other issues she has, including wetting herself.

Others may have other advice for you once they see this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @nickykelly123 :) It's great to have you here, and thank you for reaching out.

As Poppy said, it sounds like there's a lot going on for your granddaughter at the moment. I'd second the advice that it'd be worth speaking to both the school and the GP to start to work out what might be going on and how you can move forward.

Have the school mentioned getting an assessment done of your granddaughters needs at all? Do they seem supportive? It's good that she has a helper during lessons, has that improved things at all? 

Just so you know, I've moved your post into the parents and carers category, and renamed your post, so that those in a similar position will be able to find your post more easily.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    Hope things look up for her.  She is lucky to have you.

Brightness