Do you think someone should reprise the late Dave Prowse's "Green Cross Code Man" role? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you think someone should reprise the late Dave Prowse's "Green Cross Code Man" role?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
For today's kids? I do tend to think today's kids lack road sense, they're always glued to their phones while crossing roads for instance, oblivious of what's coming or going.

Do you guys agree?

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think that'd be a good idea!  I can remember sitting down in assembly to watch the film and it being drilled into us to pay attention and look both ways.  Who do you think would make a good green cross code man nowadays?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don’t remember any green cross code man but I remember the hedgehogs. Does anybody remember those?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have grand kids who are 7 and 13 and they both have perfect road sense thank you very much, I don't know why people have to have a go at our young people all the time they are no better or worse than previous generations. Leave them alone !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• woodbine
    Options
    I think that'd be a good idea!  I can remember sitting down in assembly to watch the film and it being drilled into us to pay attention and look both ways.  Who do you think would make a good green cross code man nowadays?
    Didn't Jimmy Saville do one series of ads? nuff said 

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Possibly, but Dave Prowse wasn't a convicted Paedophile for starters.

• woodbine
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Possibly, but Dave Prowse wasn't a convicted Paedophile for starters.

Did I say he was ? However neither was Saville unfortunately

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes to the hedgehogs @66Mustang! You've unearthed a very old memory :D I remember I had little Hi Vis hedgehogs on my bookbag too.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's not just kids...I'm amazed how many people just step out into the road without a second thought.  Often pushing prams or with dogs on long leads or no leads at all.  Even more annoying when they're just a few yards from a crossing!  Makes driving in built up areas so much more stressful than it should be.

Sadly society has altered to the point that people don't have to be responsible for their actions any more, they just play the 'vulnerable' card and blaming anything bigger.  Roads would work much better if everyone, drivers, cyclists and pedestrians, all took responsibility for themselves instead of expecting everyone else to watch out for them.  We each only have one pair of eyes and when those are inside a vehicle vision is restricted even further...
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Tori_Scope I had those too!! I completely forgot about them!!

@OverlyAnxious I absolutely agree with all you’ve said. There is no age that comes into it, it is not just kids but adults too, often glued to their phones. It’s illegal to drive whilst using the phone so why can you walk on a road while glued to your phone?

I think you are also totally right about people no longer taking responsibility for their actions and playing the “blame game”. People love to prove a point as well. I don’t understand the logic to be honest. I’d rather be alive and in the wrong than in the right and dead or injured. I was taught as a driver the best thing to do in an incident is to take control of the situation even if it’s not my fault i.e. someone pulls out in front of me, rather than beep at them just brake - I have the power to avoid the accident. I now apply this to all walks of life not just driving but seems many would rather take the technical high ground at the cost of their safety!

It will only get worse as more cars get automatic emergency braking and pedestrians become aware o that the cars have this feature installed and start walking in front of cars knowing the car will stop. Then one day they will do it to a car without it installed...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    66Mustang said:

@OverlyAnxious I absolutely agree with all you’ve said. There is no age that comes into it, it is not just kids but adults too, often glued to their phones. It’s illegal to drive whilst using the phone so why can you walk on a road while glued to your phone?

I think you are also totally right about people no longer taking responsibility for their actions and playing the “blame game”. People love to prove a point as well. I don’t understand the logic to be honest. I’d rather be alive and in the wrong than in the right and dead or injured. I was taught as a driver the best thing to do in an incident is to take control of the situation even if it’s not my fault i.e. someone pulls out in front of me, rather than beep at them just brake - I have the power to avoid the accident. I now apply this to all walks of life not just driving but seems many would rather take the technical high ground at the cost of their safety!

It will only get worse as more cars get automatic emergency braking and pedestrians become aware o that the cars have this feature installed and start walking in front of cars knowing the car will stop. Then one day they will do it to a car without it installed...
    It is illegal to use your phone while driving but I've seen people do it anyway.

• 66Mustang
    Options
    66Mustang said:

It is illegal to use your phone while driving but I've seen people do it anyway.

I’ve seen people do a lot of illegal stuff, sadly it’s a fact of life that some people do not respect the law. :(
  • woodbine
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    66Mustang said:

I’ve seen people do a lot of illegal stuff, sadly it’s a fact of life that some people do not respect the law. :(
    or even obey it in too many cases  :*

Brightness