Don't do it — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Don't do it

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2020 in Coffee lounge
I may have mentioned this recently but Arcadia has just gone bust, so please don't but any gift vouchers from any of their store (burtons,dorothy perkins,evans,wallis.miss selfridge,topman or topshop) as they will be worthless.
The great shame is that between 13,000-15,000 jobs may be lost at a time when 158,000 retail jobs have already been lost this year.
Personally I wouldn't buy gift vouchers from any retailer this year.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• woodbine
    sorry not sure what happened could someone move this to "coffee lounge" thanks

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the heads up . I think lots of people will be buying vouchers this year more than ever for those who cant see each other and they are easy to post 

I always send my ex in laws a food retail voucher to buy their turkey with and few other luxuries at least they will still be open 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    I was considering buying a TopMan voucher for somebody until I found a suitable gift for them instead!

That’s a shame about all the jobs.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Very sad about the jobs, I’m sure the owner has his derrière well covered.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    @woodbine I see this is in the coffee lounge now and thanks for sharing with everyone.

I feel so sorry for all the staff at Arcadia, and its since been announced Debenhams are likely going the same way (See this BBC news article).  What a tough year.  The high street is being obliterated.  It's very sad.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Literally thousands of people looking at a bleak new year, awful. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    It's so sad. I remember shopping at top shop when i was in school and this was more than 30 years ago.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    Yes Debenhams have gone into liquidation very sad, I worked there  40 years ago managing a concession, happy times.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Debenhams have gone bust? I worked there from January to October 1996 on placement from Sheffield College.

Brightness