Anyone else struggle with emojis? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone else struggle with emojis?

Options
Marie88
Marie88 Community member Posts: 114 Courageous
Ok so I'm quite young but I really struggle to understand a lot of emojis.. is this just me or do other people get this?

One of the ones people seem to use a lot and I dont understand is ? can anyone tell me what this means? I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone I know!

Sorry if this sounds stupid but I do have a few language issues and emojis are something that makes it worse. I'm fine with the smiley face ones and the laughing or upset ones but a lot of them confuse me so much and I feel like people judge me for not using them in messages. Sometimes people send messages to me with more emojis than words and I feel so under pressure to reply using them! But at the same time I dont even know what they are trying to tell me!!

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    Options
    There's no need to be embarrassed @Marie88! I think it's important to remember that people use emojis in different ways, and they won't always have exactly the same meaning. 

I usually use the ? emoji as a sort of grimace or wince, usually if something is awkward or I'm apologising for something in a jokey sort of way. Here are two examples: 

Friend: who ate the last biscuit?
    Me: sorry, that might have been me ?

Friend: I just tripped over in ASDA and knocked a load of cereal boxes off the shelf
    Me: ??? that sounds awkward! 

You've made me realise that it's pretty hard to define how I use emojis, and what exactly I mean by them! I hope that makes some sense. 

If there are any others you're unsure about, feel free to post them here .
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That one looks like gritted teeth to me.

I am with you on emojis though. I tend to just use the basic smiley faces.

I am a bit old fashioned in that I tend to use text faces like :-) I don’t use iPhone emojis, I only use the emojis here because they are provided on the forum 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Marie88
    Marie88 Community member Posts: 114 Courageous
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.. these are really helpful!  I feel much better about using them now!  Suppose I should have just looked this up ages ago, but it's sometimes nice to ask other people instead of always looking for information online! Even though the forum is online, but you know what I mean!
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am also with you about emojis @Marie88 - I rarely venture past a smiley face, & also just use them here. :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yep, I tend to stick with the smiley, laughing or shocked emojis, beyond that I normally avoid them :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I dont know what they all mean wish I did as when I get sent them I have no idea what they mean , I dont really use them much in case I send a wrong one and it offends 

Brightness