Seating — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Seating

Options
jinnty
jinnty Community member Posts: 57 Courageous
edited December 2020 in Research and opportunities
Hello everyone, I sincerely hope that you’re all safe and well? Like a lot of people, I have been staying in, but every now and again, I need out, just for a little while, in order to help keep me from going stir crazy. But, I understand that the priority is on being safe, but my problem is that I use crutches to help get about, but now, going anywhere is extremely stressful and exhausting because all seating has been took away. Again, I know that we have to do what we can to stay safe, but it now means that I will either have to stay home or give up my independence and use a wheelchair, if I want to get out for a bit. Surely, there is some way around this, like having cleaning products next to the seats, so people can use them before they sit down? Does anyone else have this problem and am I being really silly for wanting a seat in this current situation? Sorry for the long post! Stay safe and well. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi @jinnty how are you today? safe and well I hope? W e went into town yesterday and when I think a bout it there was some seating around but some had been removed, maybe you could use your wheelchair just to get out now and then and hopefully it won't be too long before things get back to something like normal?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Using a wheelchair doesn't have to mean losing your independence @jinnty. In fact, could using it for a little while give you more independence? Are you worried about not being able to wheel it around everywhere you need to go? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi a good point you have made though I am not really aware of it as I only go out on my scooter or chair

Have you thought of getting a rollator this can support you walking and also has a seat so you can stop and rest for a little while
  • jinnty
    Options
    Thank you @ Woodbine and @Tori_Scope and Janer1967, for responding to me, I really appreciate it. Using a wheelchair, would be easier yes, but I’m thinking about having my husband pushing it and I do feel as if my independence is in question if I start to rely on it. I have a 3 wheeler stroller, but it doesn’t have a seat unfortunately. I have contacted the shopping Center and they have said that the next time, to let them know before hand and they can meet me at a certain point with a chair. But, hopefully, like a lot of people, they will return the seats once the majority have been vaccinated. Take care and stay safe everyone. 
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    Options
    I think there are huge issues at the moment re disability necessary provisions being sidelined or removed.  For example we had to go into Charnock Richard services yesterday and found that their one way system into the building required manually pulling a pair of heavy doors in order to get in; impossible while pushing a wheelchair so someone had to help me, which of course brought them much closer than 2m.  I asked a staff member about it and they mumbled something about there being a button to push and I had to point out to her that the auto doors, with a push button, were the EXIT doors with a barrier between them and the entrance doors.  Just a shrug as response.  And so on
  • jinnty
    Options
    I’m so so very to hear that @forgoodnesssake. To me they haven’t thought it out and took into effect about disabled people. Even the one way systems, when you are using sticks or crutches or anything, having to take a longer route is impossible. I have had to ask a few times for the barrier to be lifted so I don’t have to walk further than I am able. I hope that the next time is a lot easier for you. 

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.