Employer asking for my medical records — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Employer asking for my medical records

Magentasy
Magentasy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited December 2020 in Work and employment
I've been off sick for 4 weeks due to 'stress' basically my job is not what they said it would be - they are piling silly little jobs onto me until I can do no more. I asked for adjustments lots of times and nothing happens. This time I said please could we firm up my job description so I know what is peripheral to my role and what is more central so I can prioritise better? They out and out said no I need to be flexible... Now they want me to sign a consent form so they can get my medical records... to me this only feels bad because they have offered me no support based on what I have told them so what on earth do they wants the records for? (FYI I have a brain injury). Has anyone else had this happen to them? What should I do? They are not disability confident employers... 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Nobody here will know what they want your records for and only you can decide wether to grant them access. Jobs are difficult to come by atm and there has to be some give and take on both sides.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    my my former employers wanted my medical records having been off work for 9 months with no hopes of returning to work.in my case having had spinal surgery which was successful and my rehabilitation slowed I was diagnosed with MS so it was just a mater of time before my employment was terminated. My work was farming ,physical manual hands on work with machinery and livestock. And no way could my employer make adaptions to my work environment so being given basically confirmation from my GP and Neurologist of my MS made my dismissal easy for me and my employer. In your case your contract of employment should give details of your duties and what’s expected of you during your hours of employment for the company. Your Employer may wish to establish and confirm your abilities regarding your health conditions.you can see the medical report before it’s sent to your employer, myself I didn’t nor the reports sent to my pension provider who accepted my annual review by a phone confirmation of my continued medical conditions regarding MS. I hope you have a union rep to help and advise.

Brightness