Has anyone fitted a down stairs toilet and did you get any help towards the cost — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone fitted a down stairs toilet and did you get any help towards the cost

happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
I struggle to get up the stairs even though i am only 50. I have a serious injury in my shoulder and i have a slipped disc in my neck. Going up the stairs to the toilet is so painful, so a lot of the time i hold it in four around four hours so i don't have to go through the pain. My wife has said about a stair lift but no way am i having one of them in at my age. So, i am just wondering if anyone has fitted a downstairs toilet. The only room we would have is under the stairs which is not very big at all. i did look at an extension but there is no way i could afford that.

In another world i would love to buy a bungalow but we cannot afford it.
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @happyfella , hope you're well.

I'm sorry to hear that you struggle so much with this. I personally don't have any experience of fitting a downstairs toilet, but I'm sure other members with insight to offer will be along soon.

Are you receiving, or have you received, any treatment or support for your injuries?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @happyfella hope you are safe and well today? and welcome to scope, if the space under the stairs is too small and an extension too expensive then it looks like your wife has the best idea i.e a stairlift, the only other option might be to move to a bungalow or ground floor flat ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• happyfella
    Welcome to the community @happyfella , hope you're well.

I'm sorry to hear that you struggle so much with this. I personally don't have any experience of fitting a downstairs toilet, but I'm sure other members with insight to offer will be along soon.

Are you receiving, or have you received, any treatment or support for your injuries?

Hi, i have injections twice a year. They cannot do them more than that as they are dangerous. i have them for my shoulder and also for my slipped disc in my neck. With covid all the treatment has been put on a bank burner. Normally i was at the hospital each week but now they have transfered all patients to a company called inhealth due to the hospital i was at being a covid free. In an ideal world a bungalow would be the perfect solution for me, or a parkhome or something. When i go up the stairs i have to be helped by my wife and daughter which is embarrassing
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

You will need to refer yourself for a needs assessment first and this will determine any help they can give. Although i will say, that if other options are there then a downstair toilet will be the last resort. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • happyfella
    woodbine said:
    Hi @happyfella hope you are safe and well today? and welcome to scope, if the space under the stairs is too small and an extension too expensive then it looks like your wife has the best idea i.e a stairlift, the only other option might be to move to a bungalow or ground floor flat ?

I already suffer from confidence issues due to my injury and having a stairlift would affect me more.
  • woodbine
    Many disabled people suffer from confidence issues, I know I do, you mentioned a park home I can recommend that 100% having lived in one for ten years now.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    I understand the confidence issues but this won't help with a downstairs toilet. Bungalows are very few and far between in most areas.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • happyfella
    woodbine said:
    Many disabled people suffer from confidence issues, I know I do, you mentioned a park home I can recommend that 100% having lived in one for ten years now.

we have a caravan and bought it to make my life easier. We did that four years ago. with everything on one level it makes my life so much easier. But when i am back at the house it is so hard. So, getting rid of my house and having everything on one level would be the ideal solution, but not possible at the moment. Having the caravan has changed my life. If i could i would live in a caravan or park home.
  • woodbine
    You can't live permanently in a caravan on a non residential site, that's the difference between them and residential park homes

Brightness