Christmas Dinner — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas Dinner

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2020 in Coffee lounge
Do you tend to have the same Christmas dinner every year and if so what do you have?, if you change it every year what's on you menu this time?
We tend to have the same  Prawn cocktail; turkey with roast, sprouts, carrots and pigs in blankets and I like lots of stuffing (ohh er matron!)
So what's on your plate this Christmas?
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Tagged:

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    We have the same traditional Christmas dinner every year. We have it in the afternoon usually at around 3pm and I make a point of not eating anything all day until Christmas dinner so I can make the most of it. The Christmas dinner is the king of meals. :yum: Quite hard to do when you've received lots of chocolates and sweets for Christmas but it pays off!
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Bit different this year as only 2 of us and my son not fan of veg and I'm not a Turkey fan 

Three bird roast, stuffing,  pigs in blankets , mash , roast parsnips and carrots , sprouts with chestnuts and bacon , Yorkshire pudding and turkey gravy 

Black forest yule log (prob not till few hours later) 
  • woodbine
    I missed off pudding we have a small christmas pudding for the 2 of us and usually some tiramusu half an hour later.
    @66Mustang we eat around 3-4pm but couldn't go all that way with nothing so will probably have some toast with some whisky marmalade we got from m&s last week...yum

• Helsinkiships
    Helsinkiships Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    We have the same every year
     turkey, gammon, beef, roasties, mash, parsnips, carrots, turnip, sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, three stuffings, three gravies and Yorkshire puddings 
    Chocolate sponge cake with custard 
    (And  a 2 hour nap)
  • woodbine
    @Helsinkiships I think I might need a two day nap after that meal  :)

• Helsinkiships
    Helsinkiships Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    @woodbine I have not so little boys (21, 24, 27) to feed and I dont allow them to eat their selection boxes or stockings until they eat the dinner first (not that they listen to me) lol
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    We usually eat about 2pm and we have Turkey, Pork, stuffing, roast potatoes/parsnips/carrots, sprouts, chestnuts, pigs in blankets and homemade turkey gravy. Homemade cheesecake or chocolate fudgecake with cream for pudding.

I do eat a light breakfast because no doubt my daughter will get me up earlier than i'm usually up.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    I am not a big fan of big meals, but do tend to pig out when my wife makes Shepherd Pie.

Over the years we have tried different meats and poultry. I prefer boxing day, with a buffet, including any left over meat/poultry from Christmas Day. However my favourite meal is usually on the 27th. Slices of gammon, potatoes mixed with cheese and onions and some pickles. My favourite Christmas dinner to date was the year we had very little money and I refused to get a loan, so we had a mixed grill with mushrooms cooked in bacon fat. I would probably be just as happy with mushrooms cooked in bacon fat  :p I also keep suggesting fish rather than meat or poultry but the family have threatened to divorce me and kick me out if I ever try that.

This year its steak dinner Christmas Eve to celebrate our daughter's birthday and turkey, carrots, sprouts, roast potatoes, yorkshire pud with a mixed fruit salad and double cream for desert several hours later. The best thing about Turkey for me is not the main meal, but rather picking at the carcas when most of the meat has been sliced off. 

I wonder if I could get away with suggesting Haggis for next year??

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    First year living with my partner making our own Christmas dinner so hopefully it goes well.

Hoping it'll be turkey, roasties, mash, pigs in blankets, Yorkshires, the usual veg and croquettes. With bucks fizz of course

Pudding? Cheese cake I guess
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    I have a lot of issues with food as regulars will know.  Can't prepare anything, have a very restricted diet and can only eat alone in my own home so mines a little different to most.  Everything comes out of a packet, either pre-cooked or frozen lol.  This year has been particularly bad food-wise but I'm still going to attempt some sort of xmas dinner, albeit very small portions of each!  Turkey slices, frozen roast pots and parsnips, frozen carrots and broccoli.  Have also got a mini roulade for desert, much lighter than fruit cake/pudding!  On boxing day I'll have the same, but with ham slices instead of turkey.

I always have a croissant with butter for breakfast.  And the last few years have discovered 'brioche baguettes' which I have for tea in the evening with some cranberry stilton, a few Tesco finest crinkle crisps (better than Kettle Chips imo!) and a Mr Kipling Xmas cake slice.  Tbh, I prefer that to the dinner!  :D
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    I am absolutely ravenous after reading this!  It will be mine and my other half's first year having Christmas dinner at home, so we are going to go for it calorie-wise.  

There won't be any starters, just diving into the main deal.  Potentially a pork joint with stuffing, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes, parsnips, sprouts, carrots, Yorkshire pudding and onion gravy.  Dessert for me will be warm mince pies with baileys cream.  

<stomach rumbles>
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness