New years resolutions.? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New years resolutions.?

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
Well my friends its the time of year when our thoughts turn towards our resolutions for the coming year.

Usually when asked what my resolutions are for the new year I answer "not to make any".

And i'm afraid it's the same this year. But i'm sure many of you will have far more interesting ones to share.

But while I'm talking about 2021 may I wish you and yours a safe, healthy and happy new year.xxx
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you @woodbine, I too would like to wish yourself and everyone here on the community a happy and healthy 2021! I would say that I don't really make resolutions as in the past when I have, I've never really stuck to them. I think for me it will be about enjoying the simple things in life and taking opportunities when I feel they are appropriate. I've always been quite reserved about taking opportunities, always believing I am not worthy of them so gradually I hope to start to be more accepting of opportunities. Thank you.  
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine happy new year to you and senior management and everyone else on the community 

I'm not a big one for resolutions and a lot would depend on how long covid restrictions go in for 

But apart from that I am going to try and use my prosthetic leg again and at least get walking around the house with my frame depends if the knee can take the pressure 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,577 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I also don't tend to make new year's resolutions. If I think of a goal I tend to start it immediately. I think waiting until the new year is just an excuse to put it off.

With that said, some general goals I do currently have are: to lose some weight, to drink less alcohol, to get ahead with my economics A level, to try to deal with my issues by working with health professionals, and finally to be more assertive and "loud".

The final goal is very relevant to me as my family have always been very unassuming and quiet, and have never made a fuss, and a result we have always been brushed to one side by the services when we needed help (whether financial, medical or other help). We have come to learn that it's the people who are loud, who make a fuss, and who demand aid, that get the help. For that reason, we intend not to be obnoxious, but to make our voices heard by the authorities and to keep on at them until we get the help that we desperately need.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    Same as I've had for the last several years, get some form of job... In actual fact I could be on the way to that, I did an online assessment this morning for that Plusnet job I applied to last week, I'm expecting a telephone interview at some point.

I've also applied for part time work at Tesco Express in S5, could be the big at the top of Herries Road.

• woodbine
    Options
    @66Mustang I'm sure you're right that those who shout loudest and "don't go away" seem to get stuff done, so I hope you do get the help you need whatever that may be.

• SouthernBelle
    SouthernBelle Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    I usually love a goal and new years resolution, but i seem to have lost that since having this accident the drugs make me tired the pain too im just less motivated. 
    I have the usual goals to eat less and exercise and i also got a mobility scooter for Christmas so i plan to use it at least once or twice a week, im so excited to go to the supermarket on my own again, i have hardly been this last year lol    
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My new years resolution is to gain weight and start taking drugs...  Probably the opposite to many peoples!  :D
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am going to find a new job  stop worrying about things I can't do and  finish writing my second book  when I can get motivated to do it  and hopeguly go on holiday this year if we ever get out of lockdown in wales 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well I got rejected by Tesco but I did have a message on the mobile from Plusnet this past Wednesday, I've tried to ring them back but the number's offline.

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Sorry to hear you got rejected by tesco its their loss that would of been a nice job for you 
  • woodbine
    Options
    Well I got rejected by Tesco but I did have a message on the mobile from Plusnet this past Wednesday, I've tried to ring them back but the number's offline.

With so many people out of work or seeking new jobs competition is very fierce for jobs at the moment.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    woodbine said:

With so many people out of work or seeking new jobs competition is very fierce for jobs at the moment.
    I get that, but it's annoying that in most cases, as soon as I declare my disability I get insta-rejected, it's supposed to be illegal that :(

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Mr Allen I have gone through scope  to help me find a job and o dome training maybe that would be helpful to you unless you have already tried that ? 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mr Allen I have gone through scope  to help me find a job and o dome training maybe that would be helpful to you unless you have already tried that ? 
    I contacted them last year, they couldn't help me, doesn't really pay to be over 40 when most employment services deal with 19-21 year olds :(

I also can't work 40 hours a week due to my benefit situation and carers so most employers don't wanna know.

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Hs ha ha I had it then mr Allen I am 58 years old  I only want part time hours I want to do something like scope  do 

Brightness