Is the PIP review 6 months early? If I didn't pass the PIP review, would my CB ESA be effected? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is the PIP review 6 months early? If I didn't pass the PIP review, would my CB ESA be effected?

DEE9999
DEE9999 Community member Posts: 72 Connected
edited January 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all, really need some help please - my PIP award was granted on Feb 2019 until Feb 2022, with review being on Feb 2021, next month.
However, whilst I know the DWP can review you at any time, I'm hearing from people that the PIP review is no longer 12 months early but 6 months and I'm very overwhelmed - who is right?

Also, i am on long term support group esa contribution-based, have been for years, and wondered if, for some reason I don't pass the PIP review (i should as I'm very unwell), will this effect my esa contribution-based benefit with them too?

Thank you all 

Comments

• DEE9999
    Hi all, really need some help please - my PIP award was granted on Feb 2019 until Feb 2022, with review being on Feb 2021, next month.

However, whilst I know the DWP can review you at any time, I'm hearing from people that the PIP review is no longer 12 months early but 6 months and I'm very overwhelmed - who is right?

Also, i am on long term support group esa contribution-based, have been for years, and wondered if, for some reason I don't pass the PIP review (i should as I'm very unwell), will this effect my esa contribution-based benefit with them too?

Thank you all 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    HI and welcome,

Yes under normal times PIP reviews now take place 6 months before your award is due to end. Although because of Covid there are some people that have had their award extended, although this doesn't mean you won't still be reviewed. As you have 13 months left on your award then it will be at least 6/7 months before you hear anything from them.

For your ESA you can be reassessed anytime from 3 months. Although there is huge backlogs for assessments at the moment. PIP and ESA are 2 completely different benefits. However, if part of your ESA is Income Related and you're claiming the Severe disability premium in with your ESA, if you lose the daily living award of PIP then the SDP will stop, which will mean you'll receive less ESA per week.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DEE9999
    @poppy123456 hello poppy,
    Thank you for response, wish DWP call handlers were as efficient as you!

- firstly when I call PIP they are adamant it's still 12 months and not 6, so i don't understand why they don't have this information.

Re ESA I'm definitely only on contribution-based, so this should still be ok? ? 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. They changed the review time from 12 months to 6 months but they did publish this change, so this is why the advisor you spoke probably didn't know because they usually just read from a screen and it's just a call centre you are ringing.

Although on your PIP decision letter is doesn't actually say your review will be on a specific date. What it say is, " we;ll contact you after X date"

Contributions based ESA Support Group is currently £113.55 per week and this won't be affected by any decision made on your PIP. If you're contacted for a review then it will be purely a coincidence.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    HI,

I answered your question on your other thread here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/75859/hi-my-name-is-dee9999#latest

• DEE9999
    Thank you so much, Poppy, genuinely appreciate the insight and guidance. I'll pop back on when i get new assessment as i always need help and my sister helps fill everything in with me and collate all the supporting evidence too ? ? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

In normal times you will get review forms 6 months prior to award ending but you may find with backlogs and covid you get an extension if your award was through DWP and not tribunal though you do have a while till award ends things may be back normal by then 

Your pip is separate to your esa support group and that will remain until assessed again for esa 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @DEE9999 :) I'm glad that the above advice has been useful, but I'm sorry to hear you're not very well at the moment. Yes, please do pop back on any time you need! You can also take a look through our list of recent discussions to see if there are any other conversations you'd like to join in with.

Just to make you aware, I've renamed and moved your post so that other members will be able to find it more easily. It's now in our PIP category
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @DEE9999

I've merged your two threads as they were about the same topic. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • DEE9999
  • DEE9999
    Good evening, hi @poppy123456 got letter today to say my pip review has been extended from Feb 2022 to Nov 2022 and there is nothing i need to do, and will contact me before the new review date. I'm a bit confused.... ? 
  • poppy123456
    They are extending some awards because of the backlogs, although you could still receive the form at anytime. Usually this is 6 months before the award is due to end. At the moment there's nothing you can do.
  • DEE9999
    It was just very random! I don't want to do anything and I'm grateful that they have extended it as it's a worry. 
  • DEE9999
    Mine has been extended by 9 months, however, not 6 hence my question and confusion, poppy. 
  • poppy123456
    It can be extended to any length, i'm not sure why you think it should have only been extended by 6 months. My award was first extended 6 months and then again by another 10 months, so in total my award was extended by 14 months.

The extended awards are confusing everyone because people think they won't receive their review form until much later but this isn't the case and they can still send you the review forms. There's nothing you can do until you receive the forms.
  • DEE9999
    It's so stressful. Thank you ? 
  • poppy123456
    Yes, i agree and you're welcome.
  • DEE9999
    Apologies @poppy123456 I've just realised, you know that it is meant to be 6 months before PIP review now, which is what you've told me before but it seems, what with PIP sending out my extended date review letter now (because of the backlog of covid19) they were obviously looking at my award 12 months earlier  (FEB 2021 for FEB 2022), so it's fair to wonder.... 
  • poppy123456
    They are extending a lot of people's awards because of the huge backlogs. In normal times reviewq forms are indeed sent out 6 months before an award is due to end.
  • DEE9999
    Poppy, you must have to repeat this information a lot to people since PIP started this, so thanks again. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.