Should I quit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I quit

Carolew
Carolew Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited January 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all, I am new to the group and wanted advice. I am claiming UC and been awarded LCWRA, I am still receiving SSP from work but it is unlikely I will be able to return to that job as a care assistant as I now need care myself. If I were to resign from work would I be sanctioned by UC for handing my notice in. Thank you in advance Carolew 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

I wouldn't advise to reign it could affect your benefits 

Once your sap ends you may be entitled to more UC have you been sending your fit nots to DWP and recorded a medical condition on your application as this will prompt the work capability process 

I would try find out your employers policy on dismissal due to I'll heath as some pay severance pay 

Dont just resign your company should have a policy for dealing with employees who can no longer work due to health 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,905 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Resigning won't affect your benefits in a bad way because you're already claiming UC and the LCWRA element. Although i wouldn't advise you to just resign.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Carolew
    Hi Janer1967, 

Because I have been through the process of the assessment through UC they are already paying me more because they have found me to be LCWRA which means I don't have to send in my sick notes to DWP anymore.

I have still been sending them to my place of work, but I will soon be coming to an end of my 28 weeks on the sick from work and my disabilities are not getting any better and I know I wouldn't be able to do that work  as I can't even stand unaided never mind drive myself to work.

I just feel it is unfair of me to accept anymore statutory sick pay when I know I can't work. 

I just wanted to know if UC would penalise me for quitting my job. I don't think they can as they have already found me to have Limited Capability for Work Related Activity.

Thank you for your fast reply.

• Carolew

Hi poppy123456,

Thank you for your quick response.

I was thinking of quitting because I don't feel I should stay in a job I can no longer do. The company has been good to me and are not expecting me to quit but there is nothing in the company that they could offer me to do as an alternative. I can't even drive anymore and I'm thinking of selling my car as it is just sitting doing nothing.

I didn't think UC could sanction me because I have proved myself to be LCWRA, I just needed advice and clarity.

Thank you again
  • janer1967
    I get where you are coming from but still wouldn't resign but of course that is up to you 

• poppy123456
    As i previously advised, you won't be sanctioned by DWP because you've already been assessed as having LCWRA.

I would still advise you not to just quit your job without first getting some expert advice and we are not experts here and can't advise you to just quit your job.

I'd advise you to speak to ACAS https://www.acas.org.uk/ as well as find your employers policy for dismisal due to ill health, as @janer1967 has advised and she has much more knowledge than i do regarding this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Carolew :) It looks like you've already received some good advice on UC, which has hopefully cleared things up a bit for you. Would you feel comfortable contacting ACAS as advised? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Carolew
    Hi Tori_Scope,

Thank you for your welcome. As you have said yes I have received some good advice on UC. At the moment I think my next course of action is to phone my employers and have a chat with them about me resigning. If I think I need further advice I will then contact ACAS. I am under no pressure to resign I just think it's the right thing to do as I am now effectively housebound and only go out for hospital/doctor visits with someone to take me.
  • poppy123456
    You shouldn't mention the word "resign" and see what they say. Although you are entitled to 28 weeks SSP.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @Carolew welcome to scope how are you today? Have you looked into claiming PIP if you have care and/or mobility needs/issues?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    I agree you should speak to your employer but say you think you are no longer able to return to work so what are your options ? 

This is the best way for them to then explain 

I'm not saying they haven't been good to you but it is your right as an employee to have your employment terminated due to ill  health and be compensated accordingly 
  • Carolew
    Thank you all for all the advice, you have all pointed out relevant things I needed to know.
     Hello Woodbine, thank you for your post also, I do already receive PIP as well because of my health issues, but thanks for the thought.
    I will speak with my office tomorrow to gain more insight to my dilema.

Thank you
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Let us know how you get on @Carolew :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.