Are you cutting out the alcohol this January? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you cutting out the alcohol this January?

Options
Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited January 2021 in Coffee lounge

Happy New Year and Dry January to you!

The start of the year marks the month of Dry January, which means going through the entire month without consuming alcohol. The timing is very much perfect for what the event is, following the Christmas and New Year celebrations  people have often consumed quite a bit more alcohol than they otherwise would and Dry January offers a fun challenge to get back on track, or work towards a new year's resolution of drinking less alcohol or giving it up completely

Of course, the event also aims to highlight the health and lifestyle benefits you can gain from giving up alcohol for a month, these include:
  • Lower blood pressure
  • A reduced risk of diabetes
  • Lower cholesterol
  • Reduced levels of cancer related proteins in the blood.
  • A healthier bank balance - 86% of participants save money
  • Improved sleep and energy levels - 70% of participants have better sleep and 66% report feeling more energetic
Those who do Dry January can also utilise the free Android and iPhone application to further strengthen their chances of completing the challenge.
three people having a toast on a table

Take a quiz to find out what you really know

From your brain to your genitals, how much do you know about alcohol's effects on your body? Take this quick quiz from Alcohol Change UK to find out. Follow the link below:

Take the quiz

Mocktails

We recently took a closer look at mocktails as part of Alcohol Awareness Week, and concluded that they are a mighty fine alternative to alcohol, which make them a fantastic option for a month like Dry January. Feel free to head on over to that thread and discover some yummy sounding mocktail recipes!

Over to you

• Are you doing Dry January? 
  • Have you taken the above quiz and did you learn anything? 
  • What are your tips for avoiding the booze for a month?
Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't drink much. usually when we are on holiday and we buy some drink in for Christmas, have never really enjoyed drinking at home but am having a couple of drinks each night now.
    Everything in moderation as they say, what I have managed to do since xmas is cut my smoking down quite a bit, using my e cig more.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It wint be hard for me as I dont really drink unless I have company and as we cant have that then it will be dry month for me 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm going to cut out the spirits but do have some Baileys that needs using up... mind you, that counts as a dessert, right? 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    Nope.

I don't drink excessively anyway for health reasons but I enjoy a drink now and then.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Congrats on cutting back the smoking @woodbine, do you feel better for it? 

Yes @Cher_Scope, of course, it's just pudding :) 

I only tend to drink at Christmas and on special occasions, otherwise I can easily go a few months without a drop. Rough thing for me is my birthday isn't long after Christmas so I normally end up receiving alcohol as a gift then too :D 
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    Options
    @Ross_Scope its early days yet, just hope I don't put back the weight i've lost in the last year, time will tell. B)

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's not a problem for me as i don't drink anyway, gave it up many years ago.

@woodbine well done on cutting down on the smoking! Not an easy thing to do, for sure. I'm an ex smoker, almost a year for me. Although i do use my vape. Could never go back to smoking now, can't stand the smell. Although i'm not against others smoking, if that's what they choose to do. Was a smoker for 36 years.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
        @Cher_Scope, don't forget an ice cube or two as water is good for you and if you add a cherry it's one of your 5 a day  :D
  • woodbine
    Options
    It's not a problem for me as i don't drink anyway, gave it up many years ago.

@woodbine well done on cutting down on the smoking! Not an easy thing to do, for sure. I'm an ex smoker, almost a year for me. Although i do use my vape. Could never go back to smoking now, can't stand the smell. Although i'm not against others smoking, if that's what they choose to do. Was a smoker for 36 years.
    Confession time i started smoking when I was 11 that's 51 years ago now, but I worked out that even cutting half a dozen cigs a day out was almost 2000 less a year.
    Well done you for being an ex smoker for 12 months that's a big achievement.

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    Another lifelong smoker here...managed to quit once for three years and then started again.
    I do smoke a lot less now because I make myself go outside to the shed to smoke no matter what the weather....got so fed up of the smell in the house and constantly having to re paint ceilings...lol
    Never been much of a drinker...but do like a cocktail for a treat every so often.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I dont drink I stopped drinking when I was 18  I was drinking from the age of 15 due to abuse as I was in care dulled the pain

I smoked up until my father died of cancer 11yesrs ago  so don't do either now 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I haven't drunk for about 12 years (aged 16).  Even then I only had the odd beer, never drunk spirits at all.  

Also never smoked a single cigarette.

Fun fact...you don't have to smoke or drink to be unhealthy!  :D
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious to right lol choclste burgers cooked breakfast lol ha ha ? 

Brightness