The first record you ever brought? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The first record you ever brought?

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Surprisingly can't actually remember what my first purchased record was :D Given I collect CDs it's a mystery that I've forgotten.

Me and the partner received a vinyl player for Christmas, so will probably start collecting those too. Only have 2 so far
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    My first album on vinyl  was the late great prince purple rain  no one will sing purple rain like he did  RIP
  • Lisatho11987777
    I have alot of vinyl records singles and doubles that were my nans the great elvis presley King of rock and roll snd Perry como Frank sinatra   the blue notes  I also have heavy rock on vinyl  including the late great  Freddie Mercury with Queen  with unrealised singles i have some gramophone records aswel 
  • MarkGibbons1
    MarkGibbons1 Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    Mine was save all your kisses for me by the brotherhood of man in 75 I think was only 4 or 5 at the time!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Mine was save all your kisses for me by the brotherhood of man in 75 I think was only 4 or 5 at the time!!
    That was 76 actually, according to Wikipedia it won Eurovision for the UK that year, was UK number 1 the day I was born (April 7th 1976)

• MarkGibbons1
    MarkGibbons1 Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    That was 76 actually, according to Wikipedia it won Eurovision for the UK that year, was UK number 1 the day I was born (April 7th 1976)

Thank you Mr Allan I knew I was probably 5 and would have still been 5 has wasn't 6 to the October I just couldn't remember the year. Thanks for finding that out for me.
  • mikeymike
    mikeymike Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    the first single i bought was summertime blues by eddie cochran and the first lp was that'll be the day by buddy holly saved all my pocket money for that. now i have nearly 4000 vinyl records and growing still.
  • ClareB74
    ClareB74 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Mine was Terence Trent Darby Album on vinyl-Sign your name!! X
  • Lisatho11987777
    @ClareB74 I love that song sign your name  i had a crush on him lol ? 
  • ClareB74
    ClareB74 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    @lisathomas50 I thought I was cool as it swore in one of the songs and I was about 12. 
    X
  • Lisatho11987777
    @ClareB74 ah bless lol ha ha ? 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    mikeymike said:
    the first single i bought was summertime blues by eddie cochran and the first lp was that'll be the day by buddy holly saved all my pocket money for that. now i have nearly 4000 vinyl records and growing still.
    Eddie was a musical God, such a shame he died so young !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• mikeymike
    mikeymike Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    oh yes he was along with buddy holly 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    My first was ‘if I had a hammer’ 1963 ish.

1963 was a great year for snow by the way, and burst pipes due to lead pipes freezing and splitting, my dad had a lot of trouble finding a plumber because they were all so busy.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    leeCal said:
    My first was ‘if I had a hammer’ 1963 ish.

1963 was a great year for snow by the way, and burst pipes due to lead pipes freezing and splitting, my dad had a lot of trouble finding a plumber because they were all so busy.
    And almost 60 years later good Plumbers are still like Gold dust, hard to find.

Most of them are off chasing Dinosaurs and saving Princesses lol.

• woodbine
    edited January 2021
    @leecal wasn't 1963 the winter it started to snow on boxing day and didn't really stop till Easter?  I was only 4 years old so i'm sure I enjoyed it, must admit that we are very lucky plumber wise we have a welll trained one, no call out charges and very reasonable rates.

• leeCal
    edited January 2021
    Yes @woodbine it was amazing for us children. I came down one morning and there was a snowdrift on the downstairs hall carpet six feet long! Freezing as we didn’t have central heating in those days only coal fires, the snow went on for weeks as you say, I don’t remember our school being closed though. 
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1962–63_in_the_United_Kingdom

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    leeCal said:
    Yes @woodbine it was amazing for us children. I came down one morning and there was a snowdrift on the downstairs hall carpet six feet long! Freezing as we didn’t have central heating in those days only coal fires, the snow went on for weeks as you say, I don’t remember our school being closed though. 
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1962–63_in_the_United_Kingdom

This is going off topic lol but back then both the pupils and the teachers lived within walking distance of the school, i can never remember getting a single day off due to bad weather.

• leeCal
    edited January 2021
    Years later the first LP I bought was “In hearing of” by Atomic Rooster, 1971, still have it too,  I think it was five bob? Five bob was five shillings, 25p now I think at 5p per shilling. You could actually buy a pint of beer for 9 pennies in those days ?.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    leeCal said:
    Years later the first LP I bought was “In hearing of” by Atomic Rooster, 1971, still have it too,  I think it was five bob? Five bob was five shillings, 25p now I think at 5p per shilling. You could actually buy a pint of beer for 9 pennies in those days ?.
    I bet you could, i remember that in 1972 when i started working part time a petrol station petrol was around 30p a gallon and beer a little bit cheaper, I was lucky I was a tall 13 year old ! :)

Brightness