Volunteering — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Volunteering

Options
hass
hass Community member Posts: 194 Courageous
Hi all 
Seasons greeting 
Hope your all well .
I've decided to volunteer  with scope shop.
As im becoming very deoressed
problem is reffetence. .

Can any one advise 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    Yeah I had the exact same problem, up to about 5 years ago I volunteered for SYP down in Rotherham, but apparently their HR don't do references, and neither do the PDSA, but given the way I left in April 2017 that doesn't surprise me.

Basically the way to solve the problem is contact anywhere you've worked, even if it was a Million years ago like most of my jobs, see if they remember you well enough to be put down as a referee.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @hass

It's great to hear you want to volunteer in one of the Scope shops, which one is it? Have you explained the reasons for which you can't provide a reference? I've done this before when volunteering and the majority of the time charities are fine with it, given that volunteering is there to give experience and skills to people.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • hass
    Options
    I can get  character reffetence     the thing is I've been forced to stay with family  as i can not live in my flat due to harrassment 
     Family is dysfunctional   somewhat so I need an escape 

• Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Okay @hass, I'm sorry to hear about the harassment, did you report it? 

I'm glad you have a place to stay, even though your family is a bit dissfunctional as you say. 

Are you able to obtain the character reference from the referee?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • hass
    Options
    Hi all 
    Went  for a chat today at scope and  the manager  is lovely I have reffetence I just need to ask  them .
    I  left family due to emotional volence  know  I've ended up same place 
    Why is the system not there to protect people  or help  them.
    I'm in my mid forties  will I ever have a normal life xx
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @hass

I'm glad you had a chat with the manager at the shop, hopefully getting the reference goes well :) Do you have any idea about when you might be able to start volunteering at the shop?

I'm sorry to hear that you go through emotional violence living with your family, what has happened to make you say this?

I don't think there is a such thing as a normal life, because everyone's experiences and journeys are different, however I'm sure you'll be able to get to the place you want to be. Starting voluntary work is a great step towards that, it'll help you to gain valuable skills and experience?

• hass
    Options
    I'm Hoping to start next week I would nt mind helping on Xmas day some where where I can give meals out .
    I've no idea where to Starr 

• hass
    Options
    To be honest it's to get away from the house  as well as doing something for the community 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Well that's a very lovely gesture of you @hass, I'm sure you will be an enormous help to the Scope shop :) 

And that's okay, if you don't want to talk about it then that's fine. If you ever feel as though you need support or just want to chat, you can always drop us a private email at community@scope.org.uk.

Alternatively, our helpline is always there if you fancy giving them a call:
    Phone - 0808 800 3333.

Textphone - dial 18001 then 0808 800 3333.

Calls are free from UK landlines and mobiles.

Email - helpline@scope.org.uk.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Ross_Scope I found it harder to find volunteer  work than normal work I had to have a dbs to do care work thst I have done for many years and always worked I got refused a voluntary job with the same dbs 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    I applied today for a job as an Autism Support Volunteer for South Yorkshire Police, they said because of the Pandemic they aren't recruiting volunteers at the moment! Why put the ad on the flippin' website then?! Clown!

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Perhaps because lockdown won't last forever and they will need volunteers when it's over?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Alot of charity shops have closed down in my area and normal shops its a shame 

Brightness