PIP form filling — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP form filling

Andywheels56
Andywheels56 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
When filling out the form are you best to choose the descriptor that applies to you and write that up as your first sentence and the reason why you think it applies to you or does the DM do this. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

you should fill out all the sections and all descriptors each one put how your condition affects you daily giving real examples 

if it is a descriptor that you can do the task then put that eg reading put I can read and do not need any aids to do so 

fill in every descriptor then you know you don’t miss anything the form is your chance to give as much detail as you can if you are hoping to get an award 

the form is the vital bit 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Hi Andy is this a renewal ? if so then treat it like a first time application giving as much detail as possible even if you need to add extra pages (if you do put your full name and N.I number on each page), and don't forget to send as much relevant info from hospital etc.
    Then when all done photo copy it all (for future reference) and then when you return it get proof of posting (no need to send it recorded) allowing 7-10 days for it to get in the system, you can of course get a 2 week extension just by contacting them and asking for one.
    Good luck
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• mykiddies3
    mykiddies3 Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    I’ve only ever dealt with dla forms so this was the first time doing a pip form for my daughter! I stupidly didn’t realise that there were descriptors for each question ? So I just filled out the form as I normally would for DLA and have put an example in most of them! I hope this doesn’t affect to outcome for my daughter due to me not realising about the descriptors ? I come across this forum after I’d sent the form back! I received a call in December from pip and a nurse said that she didn’t need to do an assessment as she had all she needed to make an assessment but just needed to ask a couple of questions! So she’s done a paper assessment! So I will have to wait and see ? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    I’ve only ever dealt with dla forms so this was the first time doing a pip form for my daughter! I stupidly didn’t realise that there were descriptors for each question ? So I just filled out the form as I normally would for DLA and have put an example in most of them! I hope this doesn’t affect to outcome for my daughter due to me not realising about the descriptors ? I come across this forum after I’d sent the form back! I received a call in December from pip and a nurse said that she didn’t need to do an assessment as she had all she needed to make an assessment but just needed to ask a couple of questions! So she’s done a paper assessment! So I will have to wait and see ? 

In my opinion a paper based assessment is a very good thing and there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mykiddies3 - like yourself, I didn't come across this forum until after I'd completed my first PIP form migrating from  a 'lifetime award' of DLA, & had no understanding of the 'descriptors.' I just told it how it was, & it sounds like you have done the same for your daughter. Being told that an assessment wasn't needed, & just being asked a couple of questions, probably to clarify things, sounds very positive. It seems like you completed the form giving good examples, & I second what Poppy has said. :)
  • woodbine
    You can phone them and ask for a copy of the assessment report the DM usually goes with that (mostly).

• mykiddies3
    mykiddies3 Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    Thankyou I don’t feel quite as stressed knowing that it’s not only me that has made this mistake! 
    Thankyou poppy! Hopefully it’s ok? There doesn’t seem to be many examples of people just having paper based assessments on any forums? so this worried me a little ? 
    Hello woodbine! I have requested a cope twice now as the previous request resulted in the lady saying that she was going to get her grandson to print a copy off as she didn’t know how to work the printer?? Obviously I found this a big strange so I called again and asked another adviser to send one! So hopefully it will arrive soon! Mind you our post is shocking at the minute due to Royal Mail staff shortages! So it might be a few week till we receive it ?
  • woodbine
    A lot of DWP staff are working from home during the current crisis, that would explain the printer problem.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.