Broken Boiler in Housing Association Flat! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Broken Boiler in Housing Association Flat!

Above,

Dad's spoken to the Housing, and they've flagged it as an emergency as I'm classed as vulnerable, however I rang them myself to get an ETA on the Gasman, and they said it could take up to tomorrow to get a call out! What the hell?!

The Flat is freezing cold, I can't make a coffee as there's no hot water due to the knackered Boiler, how in the name of all that is Holy is this legal?!

If they don't come by 17.30 when my carer has to leave they can swivel and I'm returning Home to my Parents' till further notice, it'll upset the social due to the funding for the carers but they too can swivel, I ain't living in a cold Flat.

Is there anything i can do?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Erm you could make a coffee by boiling the kettle? It's a fact that everybody's boilers seem to break down when the weather is like this, could you perhaps borrow an electric heater off a friend or neighbour? or can they swivel as well?
    We once went a full winter with no CH, it wasn't much fun but we got through.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

I'm afraid that's the normal call out time 

It may just be tge pressure of the water there are 2 valves on your boiler open top one first then 2nd one till you see pressure increase once it has close them both again 

It could also be frozen pipe 

As suggested you can boil cold water to make a hot drink either in kettle,  microwave or on stove 

Wrap up use blankets and wear a hat if possible 

I went 4 days without any gas when I moved in waiting for them to turn if off 

Also be thankful you have somewhere else you can go to to get a warm drink and warm up at your parents some people are not that lucky 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    Sounds like a very quick turnaround time to me. As my mum used to say "wrap up warm" . 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes the call out time for an emergency call like this is 24 hours. They can't just turn up on your door step at a moments notice. There's very likely other emergency calls too, even though you're vulnerable but possibly not the only one. As others have said wrap up warm and drink extra hot drinks by boiling the kettle.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MrAllen1976 Have you heard anything from them?

If not, make sure to keep yourself nice and toasty by layering up and having regular hot drinks.  It's not pleasant but hopefully your boiler will be seen to soon.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
      @MrAllen1976  I'd try not having a downer with everything and everybody, try and realise there are other vulnerable people out there who also may need help with a broken boiler. I think you need to take on board all the great advise you've been given from @woodbine @janer1967 @Cressida and @poppy123456 who are all trying their very best to help you
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    In actual fact after several phone calls to chase it up (woe is my phone bill) the Gasman arrived just after 4 PM, he was there a few minutes and it was sorted.

They tried to tell me over the phone that I could've done it myself without the need of a visit, but I ain't risking flooding the Flat if I made a mistake, like some people say, if anything goes wrong in the House, call an expert!

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @MrAllen1976 Brill news!  Panic over.  I hope you feel more relaxed now. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    So pleased for you that it's all sorted at least you'll be nice and warm tonight.

• janer1967
    Glad its sorted if you dont know what your doing always best to.get experts 

When it happened to mine I got him to show me what to check for and how to solve it in case it happened again 
  • woodbine
    sometimes its as simple as the pressure has dropped below 1, it should be around 2 and is usually (on most boilers) a simple job to repressurise, you can usually look on youtube for the make of boiler and how to do it.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Yeah, it was a pain I could've done without though, especially when I've been in a bad mood most of this week anyway for various reasons.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    sometimes its as simple as the pressure has dropped below 1, it should be around 2 and is usually (on most boilers) a simple job to repressurise, you can usually look on youtube for the make of boiler and how to do it.

Yes this always happened in my previous house and twice a day i always had to increase the pressure, it was so annoying. The landlord knew there was an issue but because the boiler was so old new parts couldn't be bought but he still refused to replace the boiler.

Thankfully when i moved house there was abrand new boiler fitted just a couple of months before.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    @woodbine that's what I tried to say earlier it may be pressure but your suggestion of you tube is useful 
  • woodbine
    Yeah, it was a pain I could've done without though, especially when I've been in a bad mood most of this week anyway for various reasons.

Anything we can help with?

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad it got sorted @MrAllen1976, nobody wants a cold house :) 

And fingers crossed you are able to be in a better mood this weekend and throughout next week, remember if there's ever anything you need support or advice with you can always reach out on the community or directly to the team. Same goes for everyone, it's important to stick together, especially when it's flippin freezing outside :D 
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness