Degenerative disc disease — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Degenerative disc disease

Sandy_123
Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,719 Disability Gamechanger
Hi does any body else suffer with this and if so how do you manage it? I've had for 15 years and suffered a relapse recently which was worst one I've had,  couldnt stand or walk straight for 5 weeks and needed a wheelchair, not sure if it's deteriated as Drs not sending me for referrals or another MRI, he said it's going to happen and left it at that. But it's worse and I'm limited more then before. I've always been unable to Bend with it. How are you getting on and any tips.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Sorry I dont suffer with this but have seen other members here who do 

Have a look around the site and feel free to join in 
  • Wini1960
    Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    Sandy_123@ Hi i have degenerative lumbar spine and sacrilitus. Physio exercises is,the only way forward but with this pandemic its tough to get any kind of help right now. When the lockdown has been lifted ask to have some physio it wont get rid of the condition, but it will help you to manage the pain. I wish you well going forward ??
  • Sandy_123
    I've tried physio they discharged me saying they can't do any more, I try keep my spine moving till it tells me to stop because resting it is no good. I could try it again when there open.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    My dear wife has had spine problems for about 15 years now, in the early days she was refered to the local pain clinic and they were a real help for a while have you tried that?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    No, I've always took what consultants have prescribed or gps and played around with medications, trying to find a method. I sympathise with your wife. I know how she feels.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    You can ask your GP for a referal to the local pain clinic most hospitals have quite big depts now for pain management.
    Good luck
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    @woodbine thanks I'll look into it 
  • Sandy_123
    Hi @RobertCharles no disrespect but I very much doubt any herbal treatment would reverse COPD if that was the case the co condition  wouldn't exist.  
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Sandy_123 I had the same problem I was referred to pain clinic and told keep myself moveing  lol I have good  days and bad days 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Hi @Sandy_123 - there are some good physio exercises in the following link. If you scroll down to the last video on degenerative disc disease (please ignore the fact that these videos say they're for 'sciatica' on a NHS website too) :) Oops forgot the link: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/exercises-sciatica-problems/
  • Sandy_123
  • Crumbled72
    Crumbled72 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    I have DDD and have had it about 12yrs..causing most problems now in the past couple of years.

My gp is refusing to refer me to full back x-rays or MRI and says there’s no cure, and just prescribes rather just co-codamol and Methocarbamol and that’s it. 
    So god knows if it’s any further than what they saw in the x-rays taken of my hips, which showed 5 vertebrates affected.

So I have to be just accepting her explanation “Most people get these problems and when I get older they should stiff up and then there’s no more pain. Such empathy ?

I don’t even know do I have any saying to this, but like I’ve said already before, I feel strongly that no-one gives a **** how I feel, or about the disabling effects of DDD in my life.

I’m about to give up even asking for help in this issue.
    All you need is L❤️VE ..and oxygen ?
  • Sandy_123
    @Crumbled72 I know  the feeling I refused any more spinal injections as the procedure wasn't worth the 2 weeks pain free I had. I just have to be careful what I do because the flare ups leave me unable to move stand or walk for weeks, last 1 was bad lasted 7 weeks. Then every day is limited 
  • Crumbled72
    Crumbled72 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Sandy_123 said:
    @Crumbled72 I know  the feeling I refused any more spinal injections as the procedure wasn't worth the 2 weeks pain free I had. I just have to be careful what I do because the flare ups leave me unable to move stand or walk for weeks, last 1 was bad lasted 7 weeks. Then every day is limited 
    Sorry to hear that ? 
    My issues are more like my back aches wake me up every day..so it’s rare that I get more than 4-5hrs of sleep at night. We have an ortho-mattress, but I think changing mattresses wouldn’t do anything since it is what it is.
    I have had to leave even cleaning to max once a week, since my knees and hips are so bad that can’t squat at all, so it’s always bending down with straight legs, which then causes my back hurting so bad that I numb myself stupid with meds for couple of days afterwards.
    I need breaks even when doing dishes.
    Also if I stand still too long the pains come, so I’m fidgety constantly just to avoid the pains. 
    Only “help” and advice is always:
    ”You need to maintain your weight and keep taking painkillers”... 
    I’m maybe a stone overweight and that has all come after my health went worse...so never ending cycle of ****.
    GP wants only to repeat themselves and my painkillers, but don’t then even try to help with proper diagnosis etc to get other options.
    I would be happy just to actually know what’s going on in my body, but nope..
    All you need is L❤️VE ..and oxygen ?
  • Sandy_123
    @Crumbled72 hi there, I cant bend, I know that sounds stupid and its stupid living like it  I invested in a helping hand stick, so I don't have to bend to pick any thing up, there are so handy, I can put washing in the washer with it, close curtains, put a cloth on the end and it becomes a cleaning aid. Used it to pick cats bowl up n put it back down when I had my cat, well worth picking 1 up and ghrre about e pound in home bargains.
    If I relapse then I'm bed bound with limited mobility and only able to stand 1 minute, so nothing gets done then not even cooking. Lasted 5 weeks last time and drs just give tablets. 
  • Tazuk
    Tazuk Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Sandy_123 said:
    I had the same experience with spinal injections I.E  Very painful to have done for short term benefit.  The last treatment i had left me hardly being able to stand or walk and pain relief only lasted 5 days.  I know it has worked for others in my family, but not for me.

Brightness