Change of Circumstances — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change of Circumstances

Options
DuffersMum
DuffersMum Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
Not posted for 18 months or so.  I was awarded standard care and standard mobility until Feb 2022...I’ve been plodding along since my last assessment.  My condition is now getting worse...about to have X-rays on my hands as GP thinks I now have osteoarthritis there, I’m finding it hard to undo cans, use a normal knife and fork, pick up pans/kettle etc...as well as that the OA in my hips and back is getting worse. A T2 diabetes diagnosis is also looking likely and I suffer greatly now from numbness in my toes (possibly connected to the T2) which makes walking even more difficult (happy days eh :(

I received a letter last week advising that they are extending my award until November 2022 but I’m thinking if the X-rays show OA I should possibly do a change of circumstances?

I’m not sure how PIP assessments are being carried out at the moment or how far behind they are in dealing with claims/changes.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated..

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

Have you looked at the PIP descriptors to see if it's possible to score more points than you already have? PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. Reporting a change of circumstances mean you'll be sent more forms (PIP2) to fill in and return. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Documents/Advice (public)/PIP – table of activities, descriptors and points.pdf

Face to face assessments are still suspended and most people are having telephone assessments.

Although your award has been extended, this doesn't mean you won't still receive the review forms 6 months before your original award date ends. They are extending a lot of peoples awards because of the backlogs.

Good luck,. what ever you decide.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DuffersMum
    Options
    Yes the letter said they would be in touch, I’m expecting it to be around August still but will give them more time to assess and award as appropriate, that’s not a problem,

My last application was based more around my mobility problems, I’ve looked at the descriptors and think I could possibly get more points under the care element, from memory I think I was only one or two points off getting enhanced care...I have to use more aids now for daily living duties (damn nuisance and does my head in, I find it so frustrating that I can’t open a bottle of milk etc without needing something to assist)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

Nobody can really tell you what to do but personally I would wait until your review as a change will trigger a new assessment and decision and you could risk losing the award you have .

But that is just my opinion if you feel you would get a higher award then that's your decision just weigh up how much that would mean to you given going through the process 

Good luck in whatever you choose 
  • DuffersMum
    Options
    Yes, I realise there is a risk but if a condition has go worse, or a new condition appears then it shouldn’t (but we all know how assessors are different, I had an awful one who spouted a load of lies, whereas my husband had a lovely one who took note of everything he said)  I’m waiting to see what the X-rays say before making a decision 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
     PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, if your worsening or condition has been present for at least 3 months and you expect it to last for at least another 9 months and you think you can score more points for a higher award, i don't see what difference an X ray result would make to how your conditions affect you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @DuffersMum alot of people say that they lie i always do everything in writing and tske a copy for myself  I find it alot easier lol ? 
  • DuffersMum
    Options
    Poppy, yes I know that but I just feel having some evidence about my condition would at least prove I’m telling the truth...my last assessment was full of lies in the report..next time I intend to give every single piece of evidence I can...for instance the assessor said because I didn’t go to pain management then my problem was obviously not worthy of being considered..that my GP thought it wouldn’t make an iota of difference to my condition if I went was totally ignored...also the hand problem could be associated with the most likely diagnosis of T2 diabetes I’m shortly to receive..so GP wants to know one way or the other.  
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @DuffersMum maybe the xrays eill show weather you have another condition aswel I did the same got every shred of evidence I could get 
  • janer1967
    Options
    I have t2 diabetes and yes the issues with the hand can be related this is peripheral neuropathy.

I am no medical expert but in my experience I had been diagnosed t2 for over 25 years b4 this neuropathy developed , everyone is different 

They say less is more with evidence and unless it is relevant and details how your condition affects your daily living then I wouldn't wait for it 

By the time you get results from all the tests you could have your review forms anyway 
  • DuffersMum
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    I have t2 diabetes and yes the issues with the hand can be related this is peripheral neuropathy.

I am no medical expert but in my experience I had been diagnosed t2 for over 25 years b4 this neuropathy developed , everyone is different 

They say less is more with evidence and unless it is relevant and details how your condition affects your daily living then I wouldn't wait for it 

By the time you get results from all the tests you could have your review forms anyway 
    I’m hoping that is the case with the hands..I suspect it’s more likely OA as my body is riddled with it.

My GP wants the X-rays..I’m just interested to know one way or the other..I think I will find my award letter and compare how I was then, to how I am now and then make a decision.

thanks 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    Options
    @DuffersMum . This site is very good and offers a lot of 'aids' to help in the kitchen. You might find something there to help a bit. 
    https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/household-aids/kitchen-gadgets/

• DuffersMum
    Options
    Cressida said:
    @DuffersMum . This site is very good and offers a lot of 'aids' to help in the kitchen. You might find something there to help a bit. 
    https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/household-aids/kitchen-gadgets/

Thank you, much appreciated 
  • DuffersMum
    Options
    I’ve found my last award and I think I should definitely get another 2 points on daily living...I got 9 points last time but she omitted to give me 1 point for using a pill box (told you she was useless) so with that as well it should get me up to 12 points.  Whilst my mobility has got worse (well the back problem more than the legs) I doubt I’d get given the 2 extra points I need there to get enhanced for that but I will of course mention how it affects me...you never know!
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    Is it a dosette box supplied by the pharmacy?
    I use a pill box but fill it myself and got no points for this.
    Just thought I'd mention :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @DuffersMum maybe the xrays eill show weather you have another condition aswel I did the same got every shred of evidence I could get 
    has to be said that "conditions" don't get you PIP but the care and/or mobility issues that arise, thought you might have been aware lisa as someone who used to do PIP appeals?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @woodbine I didn't say the condition will get her pip but the condition could affect the use of her hands thst will make it difficult to fo things that will help her get pip its the condition thst causes the problems  and depends a debate on channel four why do alcoholics get pip and some one who has a false leg cant 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh go on then, someone with a false leg maybe able to function perfectly well, but if they have care and/or mobility issues they might get PIP . As for alcohohics please don't go there we lost the wifes brother 3 years ago due to his drinking, and no he didn't claim PIP but he probably could have even though he was working upto the day before he died.

I will repeat for the benefit of those who actually bother to read what I type PIP is not paid because you have x y or z illness/condition but for the care and/or mobility issues that you have.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    Options
    Interesting @lisathomas50 and @woodbine I am an amputee with a prosthetic leg that I am unable to use 

So as stated some people with false leg get back to almost full mobility but will still need to use a wheelchair at times eg you dont wear the leg in bed so if you wake up needing the loo it takes a while to put a leg on so most use chair for this instead 

Also if there is any irritation on the stump site you cannot wear the leg 

Not everyone can use a false leg 

My knee will not support me enough to use mine it dislocated due to increased pressure 

I am also blind in one eye so this affects balance and have no feeling in my other leg so I cant feel uneven surfaces or see them 

It is far safer tho disabling to use my wheelchair 

Sorry if I have gone on a bit but was just pointing out irh my own example that it's not about diagnosis but how you are affected by that condition 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @woodbine id mainly how does your disability affects you not everyone on pip has care  
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @janer1967 and that is what I was trying to say there was a programme on channel  four a  whilst ago about pip and the lady who had a false leg couldnt get pip and the lady who was an alcoholic could   

But whatever I say is wrong  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.