telephone assessments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

telephone assessments

dixiegirl
dixiegirl Community member Posts: 26 Connected
Hello can anyone help im really worried about these new assessment phone calls because of the covid.I was awarded support group 18 months ago after a paper based review was done. After a lot of stress about going to a face to face appointment as i am severely agoraphobic with quite a few other chronic illnesses.finally 2 doctors letters helped me and i was awarded the 18 months.My review was due in december.I  am not good talking on phone at all i have not heard anything since and i am worring about these calls what will happen now with all this as i cant stop stressing about what the procedure will be.sorry for long post any advise i would be very grateful for.x

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dixiegirl :) 

Many people get anxious about their telephone assessment, so you're definitely not alone. Here are a few ideas:
    • Is there anyone you live with or have in your support bubble that could sit with you during the call to make you feel less anxious? 
    • Did you keep a copy of the form you completed? If so, it could be worth giving it a re-read so that you'll feel more comfortable about answering any questions on it
    • Ask them to repeat questions if you didn't hear, or are worried about misunderstanding something
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

First.of all the award time for support group is just a guide and they can review at anytime from 3 months after award 

Your award will stay in place until your next assessment 

You will be sent forms to complete before any review or assessment and you can request paper based like b4 supported by your gp 

However only a few paper based take place 

I would try and put it all to back of your mind until a time you are sent the review forms as there are also backlogs for them to get through first 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    The only advice I would add re: ESA reviews is to read your award letter, mine clearly states that they will not do any more WCA unless i report a change of circumstances, its rare but it does happen, from what I've read it's when they think that there is almost no chance that you will become well enough to work gain.
    Other than that try and put it out of your mind until you need to deal with it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Hello and thank you for your repies I am just a little confused my award letter was 18 months ago before all these telephone assessments nothing like that on mine..woodbine what do you mean by its when they think that there is almost no chance that you will become well enough to work again do you mean they wont be assessing you for some time.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.