Vitamin D supplements for clinical vulnerable people — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Vitamin D supplements for clinical vulnerable people

Options
Cressida
Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
I've just received my Vitamin D3 supply. Anyone else had theirs? They arrived in a small envelope. The dosage is 1 table a day at mealtimes. 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Cressida

Glad they've arrived, I assume you're referring to this scheme, just in case anybody isn't sure what you're talking about here.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is only in England though isnt it ??
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I bought my own a while ago, approx £8 for 365 tablets.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
        I buy HuxD3 from the chemist, £7 something for 30, you only take them twice a month 
  • Cressida
    Options
    leeCal said:
    I bought my own a while ago, approx £8 for 365 tablets.
    Yes to be honest I should have done the same. :)
    @vikingqueen these are daily ones. D3 400iu.

• vikingqueen
    Options
         @Cressida   Mine are  D3 20,000iu 
  • Cressida
    Options
    @vikingqueen I just found this:

The effect of equivalent oral doses of vitamin D3 600 IU/day, 4200 IU/week and 18,000 IU/month on vitamin D status was compared in a randomized clinical trial in nursing home residents. A daily dose was more effective than a weekly dose, and a monthly dose was the least effective

Interesting, I will read the full article. 
  • vikingqueen
    Options
        Hmm, interesting @Cressida...I'm just taking what my doctor first prescribed, let me know what you think of the article
  • dottydotty
    dottydotty Community member Posts: 321 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello   Are there  any  side  effects  to   taking   Vit  D  . Have  been  told  people with heart  issues  have  to  be  extra  careful . and  to  stop  taking  it  immediately  if  side effects  occur  .

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Options
    This is only in England though isnt it ??
    No, its from the NHS not Welsh public health.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine the link  says you have to be living in England thats why I asked incase there was a link for wales 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello   Are there  any  side  effects  to   taking   Vit  D  . Have  been  told  people with heart  issues  have  to  be  extra  careful . and  to  stop  taking  it  immediately  if  side effects  occur  .

@dottydotty

I'm not sure about this. Best thing to do for anybody reading this would be to contact your GP to discuss if any kind of supplement would be suitable for you before you start taking them.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would beg to politely say that both past & ongoing research does suggest that vitamin D can help as it boosts the immune system. As ever, more research is still needed.
    'Notable vitamin D insufficiency in the elderly...and patients with chronic disease conditions (diabetes and heart disease) and their increased susceptibility to COVID‐19 has prompted proposals for vitamin D supplementation.'
    'Several respiratory diseases are strongly linked to vitamin D inadequacy, and potential beneficial effects of vitamin D supplementation are indicated in multiple disease conditions with underlying immune alterations. Similar albeit limited preliminary indications of association between vitamin D insufficiency and COVID‐19 severity exist.'
    Published online 19 Jan 2021
  • dottydotty
    dottydotty Community member Posts: 321 Pioneering
    Options
    Thankyou some  very interesting  comments . " Bring me  Sunshine "   Hope  you  all stay  safe  and  well .
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Thank you for recommending the NICE guidance, & yes, to put it politely, much of the research has been less than robust. I certainly didn't expect D3 to prevent Covid-19, but research is indeed ongoing, as links from NICE show, to see whether this may on its own, or part of combined therapy, have an affect in reducing the risk or severity of Covid-19, etc. I guess the jury is out until we hear more about such studies, & see NICE's updated guidelines.
    I stand by what I mentioned about vitamin D.  Please see this link from NICE about one of the studies: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04411446 'Vitamin D has immunomodulatory effects....' but agree that supplementation is only needed in an individual with an inadequate level.
    The quotes from the above recent medical paper did mention 'vitamin D insufficiency.'
    The NHS does appear to be following the NICE guidelines. Please see: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/   as they say in their Coronavirus update, 'There have been some reports about vitamin D reducing the risk of coronavirus (COVID-19). But there is currently not enough evidence to support taking vitamin D to prevent or treat coronavirus.'
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    Options
    The Vitamin D supplements may be more along the lines of people remaining indoors more often due to lockdown and therfore the chances of Vitamin D deficiency increasing due to not being out in direct sunlight - not that we get much of that in winter anyway :smile:
  • chiarieds
    Options
    That seems to be the case @BrettW
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There may also be a correlation between staying indoors and not catching Covid I think. Sorry. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness