Financial dire problems due to large overdraft! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Financial dire problems due to large overdraft!

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
Above.

I was in Tesco yesterday doing a week's shopping, fortunately I took plenty of cash to pay for my shopping so that wasn't the issue, however, I checked my debit card in the ATM before joining the queue to enter the shop, and it said £34, what I missed that it meant £34 overdraft! I discovered this when I tried to purchase £12 of Lottery tickets on my card at the kiosk on the way out, and then had to send for Dad to come and pay for the tickets as I'd no more money on me.

Thing is this keeps happening, the time before last that my money went in, I had an £8.85 overdraft, so that was taken off what went in, now as of yesterday I have a £34 overdraft because last week, I spent £21 on a takeaway Pizza delivery from Pizza Hut on Taekwondo night, because I didn't fancy cooking, and then on Thursday I bought a Fred Flintstone costume on eBay for £23.99 for when I hopefully go back to attending Comic Cons this year.

Dad's going to see the Bank tomorrow to see if this can be avoided somehow, but to be brutally honest this is why I'm busting a gut to get a job, I need the extra income!

I have a meeting on Zoom on Wednesday with my employment support worker.

The applications close on the 8th of February for that job at Pets at Home in Wadsley Bridge, awkward to get to without a lift, but if I get any interviews or even the job I'll sort that.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    I believe you can ask some banks not to allow your account to go overdrawn. Card will just refuse if you try to pay for something and don’t have the money.

Doesn’t help the fact that you are overdrawn now however may help in future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    @MrAllen1976 I don't know if you will want my input? but you might want to ask your bank for a small o'd limit maybe £100, you can usually do this online with your bank.Why would your dad ask them?
    To be blunt on other forums i've seen people thousands of pounds overdrawn.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• [Deleted User]
    @woodbine I don't do online Banking at my Parents' request, and both my Parents have authority to speak to my Bank on my behalf in the event of account problems.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Then my advice about seeking a small o/d limit stands.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    What woodbine has suggested is actually good advice @MrAllen1976 because most banks charge you a fee if you go overdrawn without an agreed overdraft in place.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2021
    The problem is now sorted thanks to Dad and a very helpful Bank staff, apparently the reason my card was in the red was that my monthly payments to Plusnet for Fibre and Landline were going on my ready cash card to the tune of £47 for the last phone bill, which was taking the card into the red, this has now been moved to the main account which pays all my bills, such as the Lecky, Water rates, Gas bills, mobile phone etc.

Also, I rang Plusnet up circa the end of last week, and discovered that the reason my phone bill was so large is because I'm not on a call plan, so now I'm paying about an extra 4 quid a month for 2000 any time minutes to landlines and mobiles, no call charges unless I go over an hour on calls and I never do unless I ring Plusnet themselves and all the calls to them are free because it's an 0800 number.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @MrAllen1976 I am so glad you sorted it out 

Brightness