Best holiday — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Best holiday

leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
edited February 2021 in Coffee lounge
Hi, just for fun I thought it’d be nice to recall the best holiday you’ve ever had, and perhaps why.

mine was a week in Derbyshire some years ago, beautiful scenery and some very interesting places to go and my son was an excellent host. Altogether very pleasant.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Tagged:

Comments

• BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    I've been to Florida four times and always took the time to travel down from Orlando to the Everglades because theres no place on earth like it.

My favourite memory of the place was going down to the Everglades on one of these visits and doing a midnight trip out into the swamps. At one point in the trip we encountered a large female Alligator in the lamplight with all her young climbing over her and making that amazing cheeping sound they do. Its a moment I will never forget as long as I live
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    My best holiday was a four week tour in my campervan with my partner across Wales and England  we made fantastic friends  went to some lovely campsites realy enjoyed ourselves 

Hopefuly next camper vsn trip will be the lake district 
  • leeCal
    That sounds literally awesome @BrettW, I’m sure it must be an amazing memory.

yes @lisathomas50 there are many beautiful places to visit in the UK. When my family were younger we all had a lot of fun in snowdonia, my kids were astounded by the scenery and have never forgotten it. We stayed there on three different occasions, twice near Caernarfon and once on the lizard peninsula. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    @leeCal I fo go to those places frequently when not in lockdow as I  don't live far from there realy I have lived in wales along time I love it  one of my favourite places is st davids there is a lovely camp site there on top of the cliff looking down at the sea  and the cathedral is within walking /wheel chair / scooter  distance  lovely place to just chill out
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
           21 of us went to Hisaronu in Turkey some 12 years ago now, where we watched my son marry my beautiful daughter-in-law. It was the best holiday of my life and the best day.  Hopefully when lockdown is well and truly over I will do it all again with my daughter being the bride  <3
  • leeCal
    @vikingqueen reading your post I was reminded of the film mamma Mia, must’ve been great fun!

― Dalai Lama XIV

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    One of the best recent Holidays was when we took Mum down to Weymouth for her 60th birthday in May 2009, stayed in a very nice Apartment complex and everything was in walking distance.

Since then we went over to the Isle of Wight in 2010, that was excellent, nice Beach, good accommodation, most places in walking or very short drive distance.

• Lisatho11987777
    @MrAllen1976 that sounds realy nice 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    For my favourite holidays I don’t think the location actually really mattered, I just enjoyed them so much because I was having a really hard time at home and it was nice to be able to get away for some respite.  :)
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
       @leeCal it was the best, we had a blast, and made many Turkish friends. My partner and I carried on going year after year and the amount of people that remembered us and asked about my son and his family was amazing. A beautiful country with beautiful people, and I'm missing my holidays so much. We regularly what's app the family where we stay and they do the same. Oh for this lockdown to end  :(
  • Lisatho11987777
    @BrettW I think we all need a holiday  lol  I cant wait lol
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Our favourite destination for some years has been Los Gigantes in Tenerife far south of the island.in 2019 we went to the big posh 4* hotel there and it was out of this world, we plan to go back later this year all things being equal for seniors managements 60th and our ruby wedding.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    @leeCal What a lovely thread, I think some positive mental imagery will cheer us all up!  :)

My answer to this question changes every-time I answer it, dependent on my mood!  I have to say staying with my other half's family in Corfu two years ago was really special.  They live in a remote village and have their own animals and grow their own fruit/veg.  I spent the days helping collect eggs, laughing at the goats, watching fire-fly's at night and eating the juiciest figs I've ever known.  It was absolute bliss  <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited January 2021
    One of the best Holidays we had was staying in a Farmhouse in Cornwall way back in July 1990, a working Farm, fresh milk every morning, could've done without the Bee traps in the Kitchen though, and that day Dad got crapped on by a Cow.

At the time my Brother was just turned 17 and had passed his exams at College.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    A couple come to mind for me tho I love any holiday 

Dominican republic for my honeymoon all inclusive really great hotel on the beach . Spending days by pool walking on the beach meeting other honey moon couples and lots of cocktails food 

Florida doing all the disney parks and in a luxury villa 8 of us with it's own pool and villa was huge 
    Best bit swimming with dolphins 

I really like Cyprus greece and turkey the people are so friendly and the food is amazing and just the laid back way of life 
  • leeCal
    All these holidays sound brilliant.
    i can only imagine how wonderful it must be to swim with a dolphin @janer1967 ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• BrettW
    My first ever holiday abroad was to Florida @janer1967. Went with my ex wife. We spent a week in Orlando then flew to the Bahamas where we got married on a beach in Nassau.

I love Cyprus too the island is beautiful. We had a car for the week and drove up the mountains one day where we went horse riding in the snow. That was a memorable holiday too
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Sounds great @BrettW I went just a month after 9/11 so was bit security overload valid of course . Would love to take my son one day 

@leeCal yes an amazing experience I have done it in majorca too 

• BrettW
    It was great @janer1967 its just a pity a shark didn't eat the ex-wife whilst we were there - would have saved me years of heartache lol 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @BrettW very romantic wedding sorry it ended badly 

Brightness