Decided not to renew DLA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Decided not to renew DLA

huh
huh Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi renewal for my DLA has come around but I dont want to claim anymore its such a bother and I am i am lucky enough to be in a pretty good financial position  But I'm worried DWP might find that strange and start investigating previous claims.  Am I being paranoid?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

I'm not too sure how this would impact past but surely it's your right not to renew ? 

Hopefully they will just close your claim 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @huh to be fair I havent come across someone not wanting to claim at renewal but I would tend to agree with @janer1967 that it may be your right to renew 

Sorry I can't add anymore to thst  they may ask you why I supise 

Hope it goes OK  for you 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @huh How old are you? renewing DLA would only happen if you are under 16, assuming that you are over 16 then it would be PIP ?
    You are perfectly within your right not renewal any benefit claim(s).
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m sure they’ll just close the claim, they’re very busy people anyway in my opinion ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    @huh Sorry to hear you don't feel up to applying for PIP due to the hassle involved. 

I would support @janer1967's view that you (we) are entitled to not apply for benefits. 

Hopefully, though, you will be able to manage financially without the funds from DLA without too much detriment.  It's maybe also worth remembering there's nothing stopping you applying later when, perhaps, you feel more able for the rigours of dealing with the DWP? 

That said, I've only recently joined the ranks of PIP recipients and ESA applicants, and I have had a very positive, straightforward process with them.  Everyone I've spoken with has been friendly, helpful and respectful so, depending on how long it's been since you last dealt with DWP, you may be pleasantly surprised, particularly so without the stress of face-to-face consultations!  

Take care and stay safe. 

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    woodbine said:
    @huh How old are you? renewing DLA would only happen if you are under 16, assuming that you are over 16 then it would be PIP ?
    You are perfectly within your right not renewal any benefit claim(s).
    Not necessarily. 

If you were born on or before 8 April 1948, you’ll continue to get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) as long as you’re eligible for it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @MarkN88 yes that is the case but until the OP tells us how old they are we might never know.

But thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious to me, my gratitude is endless and a good reminder why i told myself last week not to get involved in any more benefit threads...so over to you, and good luck you might well need it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I just thought I would point it out in case. As you say we don’t know the age so hard to advise properly. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Hi @huh

Hope you're well and welcome to the community.

If you wish to stop your claim then there's nothing preventing you from doing so if that's what you want. It's great that you are in a good financial situation and I imagine the DWP won't ask many questions, if any, if you decided to tell them you won't be renewing. 

Hi @woodbine, I think @MarkN88 has made a valuable addition to your fantastic point here. The age is an important question when it comes to DLA. We can't all be expected to know what each other do and don't know about benefits and because of this pointing out the little details and eligibility criteria can be really helpful. Both your contributions are useful here.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.